Does the 360 feel like it doesn't stop well? | FerrariChat

Does the 360 feel like it doesn't stop well?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cityvibe, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cityvibe

cityvibe Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    I was wondering if any of you fellow 360 owners feel like the car doesn't stop as well as a car of it's caliber should. I've had a lot of high end luxury and sports cars and for some reason every time I get out of one of my other cars (E55, Range Rover Sport) and into the 360 I feel like somethings wrong. I've had it checked at the dealer, brake fluid drained and refilled, installed porterfield street pads, yet it just doesn't feel right. It seems like it takes a lot of brake pressure to slow the car down and even still it doesn't slow down as well as I think it should. And if I continue to push harder to get the brakes to "grab" it's too much and the ABS kicks in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and by the way, any Brembo owners out there notice any difference in stopping? I don't track the car so I didn't think it would make much difference for the street but maybe one of you can tell me.

Thanks!

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I always felt like my 355 didn't stop quite as well as it could. I upgraded to the larger brembo brakes F/R and then the car stopped maybe 10% better, but the ABS kicked in sooner during a hard stop. Overall, it really improved the stopping power. On my 360, I felt like the car stopped so well from the factory that the cost to upgrade to the aftermarket brembo wasn't really necessary, unless perhaps someone were planning to track the car, etc.

Ray

3. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    My 360 had very good braking performance, even on occasional track day.

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is probably a subjective topic, but I've always felt my '02 coupe stopped wonderfully. I've really got to stand on it before the ABS takes over, and by then it's to the point where I definitely need the help. It's surprising to hear you think those other cars stop better than your 360.

5. RICARDO24

RICARDO24 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    BIARRITZ FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Before own my 360 Modena F1 , i have 4 POrsche and the brakes were realy better.

I'm really happy to own and Drive a ferrari but the Porsche breaks are really better and also the driving grip.

Ricardo

6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I also use the Porterfield R4S pads and they work well for me on and off the track. I have never had any problem or fear about caring the car deep into a turn on the track.
    Are you driving in "sport" mode? Are you downshifting aggressively?? I am sure you are just asking. "Sport" mode really adds a different dimension to the overall driving experience, in performance and feel.

Robert

7. RICARDO24

RICARDO24 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    BIARRITZ FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I agree With RObert sport mode it's really better , nevertheless when you use the sport mode the ASR come later and the break don't enter in function so it's also a little bite more "dangerous" but the normal mode it's too borrowing ASR any time enter in action.

RIcardo

8. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    no complaints here with my stock setup.

9. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    No probs here either. I love the rock hard pedal and progressive feel.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Maybe someone oiled the rotors after a wash?
    :D
    BT

11. Marko@SupercarTuning

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Marko Djurich
    What I found was that brake fluid was having trouble going from side of the caliper to the other when installing the Porterfield pads. I noticed the decrease in braking power after the car had been sitting for an extended period of time (Chicago winters suck) and decided to bleed the brakes and install the Porterfields. There is a cross-over line on the bottom of the caliper that I think may have had residue accumulate and possibly block fluid from transferring over. I'm going to remove this line and check for obstructions and keep everyone posted of the results. The braking had been much better, it just deteriorated after a 3 month storage.

12. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with you. I always felt like I was putting my foot through the floor boards to get the car stopped. I probably put half my miles on at the track. For daily driving no problems. The last time I was at Road America ( granted, a very fast track) it really concerned me. I had Castrol SRF fluid and upgraded pads and it didn't seem to help. That's one reason I'm driving a Gallardo now.

13. Martin Meade

Martin Meade Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    B'ham, WA
    Full Name:
    Martin Meade
    Porterfield changed suppliers (for whatever reason?) +for the R4-S compound around a year ago and it isn't what it used to be (R4 is the same by the way and still a great pad). The pads are the key to how these cars feel under braking. There are a number of excellent options out there. Ferodo DS2500, Pagid 421, our own Girodisc Magic pads and others. We are trying to find time to update our site but it's tough. PM or call 949-350-6194 to get options and pricing that most closely match your driving needs.

Martin

14. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I use EBC Red Stuff DP31140C fast road pads which also have a low dust formulation. Feel and stopping power is great.

15. alexr931

alexr931 Karting

Oct 25, 2007
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Alex R.
    Could the reason be that the petal (inherent in the 360 model itself, not just yours) has a wider angle of rotation to allow for more feathering ability? Such as to provide a wider range of braking.. just a thought, I have no real idea.

16. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Braking performance from 60 mph according to 2001 Road and Track comparison test.

360 = 110 feet.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=155&page_number=4

911 Boxster S = 125 feet
    911 Turbo = 119 feet

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=155&page_number=7

This is the article's summary about the 360

"Ferrari 360 Modena
    Feeling a little racy? There is no better car than the Ferrari 360 Modena. The amount of momentum you can carry through the corners in the 360 is incredible. You can brake late and get straight back on the gas. In fact, at Turn 5, you can be on full throttle before you crest the hill. You don't have to slowly feed in the throttle. The car's balance will handle the power. The entire car moves together, which gives you plenty of confidence around the track."

Those who feel the 360 does not stop well is just not stepping on the pedal hard enough. It does require a lot more pressure than other cars.

17. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I was going to post myself, many car reviewers measure stop in feet from a fixed speed using computerized equipment for accuracy. There is not too much feel about it, it is pretty objective. MY impression from reading about the cars is that the 360 is superb. I am too lazy to do research of the published articles; but if you have a concern, read the statistics in the reviews.

18. frayed

frayed Karting

Aug 6, 2006
    In my experience the 360's brakes:

- are less 'grabby' than bmws and the modern porsches I've owned (the aircooled cars require a lot of pedal pressure)
    - have less pedal feel than 997 Pcars
    - allow for real easy heal/toe shifting
    - are great on the street
    - are undersized for any serious track use

As usual, YMMV.

19. BRUPac

BRUPac Rookie

Feb 9, 2008
    SO Cal
    My 360 Coupe brakes great, I never get more that 1/2 way down on the pedal. The brakes are alot grabier than my 01 996TT, it always takes a few stops everytime I get into my coupe before I can stop smoothly. I noticed that my 04 spyder seamed to take a little more pressure. But my spyder was a US and my coupe is a Euro. maybe there is a difference, or the US spyder might just be that much heavier.

20. hamdog

hamdog Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2005
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Hamdog
    Keep in mind the condition of the front tires can have a huge impact on how quickly the ABS comes in especially since the front tires are relatively narrow at 215 mm. I always felt the 360 could use a bit more meat in the front tires both for stopping and around the track.

21. cityvibe

cityvibe Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm getting the impression that the 360 pedal does require a lot of pressure, versus the more modern cars . It is significantly different that when I jump out of, say, the E55 and into the 360, it takes a while to adjust and to my seat of the pants impression, not magazine stopping distance statistics, it has nowhere near the braking power. Same thing coming from the Range Rover, which has the "grabbiest" brakes I've ever felt on a car, unusual as it may seem. Go for a test drive in a supercharged Range Rover Sport and you'll understand what I mean. You will be floored by how it feels, even though the numbers may not reflect it.

I'm aware there may be underlying issues such as a sticky caliper, glazed rotors/pads, etc. even though I had new pads installed and the fluid changed and bled. I really like the look of the brembo's, so I'll probably buy the big brake kit and at least that will eliminate the possibility of any issues with the existing brakes. Maybe it's my fate to have Brembo's :)

Interesting that sport mode applies to the level at which ABS kicks in, I never knew that. I admit, I am guilty of not reading the owner's manual. The 360 is a pretty simple car, all things considered.

I had recently upgraded to a stradale tcu, and I must say, I like the neck-snapping shifts of the 99-00 tcu much better.

I didn't want to spend too much money upgrading the car, it is bone stock, because I figured it's smarter to just buy a stradale by the time you've spent 20K modifying brakes, cats, exhaust, etc.

But since this is my first Ferrari, and I simply love the way it looks and drives, and the feeling I get when I'm driving it, I will hold onto it. Again thanks for all the replies, this forum and it's members are a great community!!

I'll post some pics when I get it done. Anybody know where to get a good deal on one? I saw a thread farther down about a conversion on a 430, I'll follow that one up.

22. Argento6spd360modena

Argento6spd360modena Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2009
    I too felt the 360's brakes doesn't stop well, maybe I just need to step on the brake harder. The brake feels kinda similar to my Supercharged NSX with stock brakes. I don't like the pedal feel.

I had a close call today, the car just wouldn't slow down in time before entering the corner, I managed to exit the corner just fine, but it was way too close for my comfort. I felt that my 335i coupe could had easily slowed down way better in similar situation and speed. I have porterfield brake pads on my 360.

23. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I have Ferrodo DS2500, with tires upsized to 225 front 295 rear. The brake feel is good. but one time I brake very hard from 250kmh to 130kmh, there was a very strong burnt smell immediately. I got scared and drove the car slowly for 10 minutes. would I get in trouble if I had continue to drive hard?

24. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I'll bet that E55 and Range Rover (especially the latter) pitch forward quite a bit more than your Ferrari. The pitch feels like harder braking.

25. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I think it stops exceptionally well, but it has a soft feel and feels more heat sensitive so feels like it takes more effort and is not as effective.