Bell Housing Re-Assembly Question? | FerrariChat

Bell Housing Re-Assembly Question?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308tr6, Mar 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    #1 308tr6, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am getting near the point to re-assembly my bell housing to the motor, and when I moved it around I heard this thing rolling around in the housing. Obviously, this ring goes over the drive shaft that is the input to the gearbox, but not exactly sure which way it goes. Perhaps I need to remove the bearing - it doesn't come out any other way that I could see? Is this what normally happens when you remove the bell housing, or did something come apart that wasn't suppose to. Any help on correct procedure for reassembly of this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pic shows the ring I am talking about....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    If I remember right the c'bore faces the snap ring that's on the input shaft that goes thru that spacer . . yes the spacer only comes out if you pull the bearing . .. there was a snap ring on there wasn't there?

Sean

3. fishing

fishing Karting

Sep 3, 2006
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald
    #3 fishing, Mar 11, 2008
    You have to remove the bearing. I don't know how you could take of the bell housing without to take of the bearing first??

It's two rings coming out like you can see in the picture.

4. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    hmmm....It has been awhile since I took it apart, but I don't remember any problem getting it off. Thanks for the comments, I guess the bearing will come out next.

and yes there is a snap ring...I have to figure out how it got like this - seems a little confusing right now.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That spacer with the counterbore on one side is item #15 as shown in this illustration:

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=675&A=1&B=39748&S=

Item #15 butts up against the snap ring item #16 -- and item #16 fits inside the counterbore of item #15 (which positively contains item #16). The inner race of the bearing then butts up against the smooth side of item #15.

As far as I can recall, you should have had to have removed items #15 and #16 before the pumpkin would slide off (but maybe I'm wrong about that)?

6. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    from the transmission working out, there is a:
    - cutout ring that normally stays on the transmission input shaft (the bh hole will clear it except on early 308's)
    - spacer thing that has a groove on one site that fits over the cutout ring
    - bearing
    - standard snap ring with the ears/holes for removal
    - the gear
    - ring nut

there's nothing stopping you from pulling/replacing the bh without taking off the snap ring/bearing/spacer.
    it may actually make putting the bh back on easier since the bearing will line up the hole for the cutout
    ring to pass through.

the pic above shows the bearing, cutout ring and spacer.

7. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks I appreciate all the info.

Tomorrow nite I will have to get my hands on it again and see how it all needs to go back together. I photographed most of my disassembly pretty well - except here for some reason....

8. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

The bell housing slides off with the bearing and this piece (#15 which falls inside on both mine just like yours) and the snap ring is left still sitting on the gearbox shaft . .. you might have to pull the bearing when you put it back together to make sure #15 slides all the way over the snap ring properly, etc.

9. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Thanks again...

I know this happens all the time, but it is really cool too me to be sitting in the middle of South Dakota, and get all of these excellent insightful responses from all over the nation and Norway!

10. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #10 eulk328, Mar 12, 2008
    Not totally stealing this thread since it's about bellhousing reassembly and I'm getting close to the same point of reassembly.....

Looking at Rico's photo, does anyone use silicone or some other sealant in this area (marked in photo)? Was it done at the factory? Mine had definitely been sealed with white silicone. I would think that the little bit of extra gap caused by the silicone being in between could cause the rubber o-rings to not seal the way they should. Opinions/ideas?

11. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    wrt sealing...those are nicely machined surfaces, so the key is thin.

I used hylomar, other people use silicone. In either case - thin.

did I mention thin? ... as in, no bead...smear a layer on, well, thinly...like you are just filling in imperfections in the
    machined surface.

the other problem i've seen, and granted that's only on 3 bh's (out of 3), is a piece of the largest o-ring (on the transmission
    input shaft) pops out. Maybe on the early 308's the bugger stays put, but it appears on the later cars when they
    made the hole bigger to clear the cut-out ring, they didn't make the groove for the o-ring big enough. The result
    is the o-ring does the obvious thing when compressed...a segment pops free.

some people have had success pre-mounting that o-ring with silicone...effectively gluing it in place into the bh groove and waiting
    for the silicone to set before putting on the bh.

I wasn't that lucky...on 3 out of 3. However, none of them leak. If that kind of thing worries you, don't look
    down the transmission shaft - or stick the bearing in - before tightening down the bh enough to squish the o-ring out. Then assume it stayed put. If you would still worry, get your SO to look for you (after telling them the answer you want to hear).

12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I would prefer not to use any silicone or other sealant IF it's not called for by the factory. Has anybody had success (no leaks) using just the o-rings?

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    My experience: I use some silicon to put the O-rings on place and to keep them there while installing the bellhousing back. Sometimes the O-rings moved while installing without silicon.
    Guido

14. 308tr6

308tr6 Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    SDakota
    Full Name:
    Rico
    Well I got it back together, but I made 3 attempts on the large o-ring, including trying to glue it in place and each time if you shine a light down the shaft prior to assembly of the bearing it had popped out at least in one area. I think this is a piss poor design and the o-ring is basically non-functional. They need a recess similar to the water pump o-ring. I chucked the o-ring and sealed the area with a high-temp RTV.

I know the issues about squishing all the sealer out, so what I normally do is bring the plates to within about a millimeter and let cure, then torque down. Not sure this will seal effectively, but I am going to give it a try. NO O RING FOR ME!