Just Put Deposit on Fly Yellow 78 GTS | FerrariChat

Just Put Deposit on Fly Yellow 78 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by wazie7262, Mar 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey gang,

Well... I've gone and done it. I put a deposit down on a gorgeous 1978 308 GTS. I really thought I would be holding out for a QV but this car is so clean and beautiful that I broke down. The car has just been freshly and fully serviced by the dealer, Bobileff Motorcars, an exceedingly reputable sales and service facility in San Diego. The car has just passed smog; yes, even in CA, though I imagine the jetting is pretty lean. Oh, and it sounds freaking awesome! Of course, once the transaction is finalized and I'm assured that no other smogging crap will be needed for two years, those li'l ol' carbs will be tweaked and the air pump belt...well...you know...

Now...I know you gents have read my other posts, and you're probably under the impression that I prefer QV's. Well...you may be right. Truth be told, it was a little hard to get a definitive feel for the car I am 80% certain of buying because, as mentioned, I think the car is running lean to pass smog. If it runs out like the carb car I drove in Palm Desert a few days ago (and I expect that it should run better once properly set up), Scotty would be a more-than-satisfied boy :) The only thing I do kind of miss is that immediate "kick" that the QV gives; you can stomp (so to speak) on the throttle and it responds immedately. The carb car takes different technique, more of a quick push on the throttle I'd say. The seling points of this car are 1. awesome sound, 2. gorgeous color, 3. Very clean, 4. major service just performed by one of the best 5. 35K price tag. If you guys would like to see the car, here is the link:

www.bobileff.com Uh...the mirrors are being changed pronto, before it goes out the door.

Anyway...I had a question for you fellers: Whe you guys were buying your first F-cars, did you have moments of indecision, doubt, or question whether or not the car you finally bought was, indeed, the right car for you? Or did it hit you like WHAM! This is the one!
    I love this GTS, but I'm not a mechanic buy any stretch of the imagination, and I know carb cars can take a bit more "trained fiddling" than does a QV. Damn! Trying to decided this stuff is stressful! The again, how lucky to be in this position! All right, I'll let y' all get back to your other tasks. As always, any insights/help is profoundly appreciated.

My best,

Scott p.s. Jon aka "Bullfighter" stopped by to see the car and hung out for my test drive. He also was kind enough to give me a quick ride in his gorgeous metalic black 328. Thanks again, Jon.

2. Brunello

Brunello Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2005
    Vancouver, British C
    Full Name:
    Al
    Looks like a beautiful car in great shape. Two things that work for this car -yellow looks far better on a vintage 308 than a newer car with all that plastic. Lastly, yellow looks great in California compared to "cooler" climate states. I'd try and find yourself a set of 16 inch (newer ) OEM wheels to keep on hand. I think the more original you make this car the better it looks.

In so far as making the purchase, you just need to remember you only live once and if an F car is in your future, and you've done your homework and PPI, there's no time like right now to start living your dream.

JMHO

3. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Congratulations Scott! Glad to hear that you found the 308 that you've been looking for!

4. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Gorgeous car, Scott! I love yellow cars. It's always a little scary spending a bunch of money on a toy, but once you get it home, you'll forget about that angst.

As for emissions, does California still exempt cars over 30 years old? Or did someone finally change that? If you still have to pass emissions, playing with the Webers and ignition timing can be a pain. Since your car is just about to hit the 30 year mark, I'm hoping you don't have to.

I love Webers, and I have found that once you get them synchronized and jetted properly, they stay that way. The only thing they are very sensitive to is dirt. The passages and jets, particularly the idle jets, are so small that it takes very little to plug them. Make sure you have a good fuel filter.

Nice going, and have fun.
    Steve

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Scott, my pleasure.

I didn't get to drive the 308 at Gary's, but with regard to your decision, you have to judge what's available in your shopping timeframe and make a call as to value/condition.

IMO, the yellow car is a fairly priced driver. It's not a show car, but it is a nice clean California car that looks great for what it is (after the bolster repair). If you buy it, and decide a year from now that you want something different, and you don't spend stupid money trying to make it into a show car, you can probably get most or all of your money out of it. With 35K miles, you don't have to be an odometer slave -- the value won't tank if you run it up to 40K miles this year, and there will always be a market for old 308s.

It's not a marriage. It's a used car.

Making the 'buy' decision is stressful, because you know stuff will go wrong with any old Ferrari, and it can sting your wallet. You can inspect it repeatedly, for weeks, and the first week you own it you will find something that doesn't work. It is what it is. The car started strong and sounded like it was running very well, and you know that it has just had a major service by one of the top Ferrari guys around. No guarantees in life or old Ferraris, but I think you've hedged your bets and can dive into the pool knowing there's water in it.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    California tests all cars back to 1975. Period. It's not a rolling date.

7. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bummer. In Arizona, special interest cars that qualify for collector car insurance are exempt. I don't have to run my 328 through emissions, -Steve

8. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    First, CONGRATS!!! It really does look good in yellow! Get the original wheels though at some point. Repros or OEM's, doesnt matter, but IMHO, the cars look best with standard wheels.
    It took me a while even getting the car I got. The PO was an FChatter, test drove the car in very late June and left on vacation for July 4th. After I got back, it still took me about 3 weeks to make up my mind. Finally bought the car in late July. Some indecision, but I did get 2 other cars snatched out from under me based on very lengthy indecision, so I guess this one was meant for me.

James in Denver

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #9 308 GTB, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, Scott, sometimes that instinct and feeling can be a "WHAM!" My experience was somewhat similar in that I was searching for a QV but along the way I had the chance to test drive an early carbed GTS. The last independent dealership I went to had an '84 and '85 for me to test. I happened to indicate to Matt Semon, the dealership owner, that I liked the carbed 308s as well, He was considering selling his 1976 fiberglass GTB and we went back to his dealership where he had the car parked in the back corner of his showroom, hidden and hard to spot (see below). It was the same "WHAM" you experienced when I set eyes on the car. He had to move four cars to get the GTB out for me to test drive. We made PPI and sales arrangements when we returned from the drive. I know it was difficult for Matt to part with the car after 5 years. Maybe that's why the car was off in a corner.

If the car called to you, Scott, then this GTS is for you. But keep a clear head and have the car thoroughly checked out.

Jon's a true enthusiast and gentleman, Scott. One day, you'll be in a similar position of "consigliere." I know you'll do the same.

Barry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi gang,

Thanks for the great and encouraging replies. I think my trepedation comes not from spending the money, as I've really tried to be prudent in that regard and not break my bank with the purchase of a dream, but more from making sure I'm getting the right car for me. In other words, I really could probably bump up another 5K and wait it out for a great QV (see below), or even try to find a driver 328 and sink some $ into that. Then again, I have a hard time spending money on myself and, along those lines, I'm trying to keep my purchase "in the realm of sanity!" LOL! Somehow, breaking that 40K barrier with JUST the purchase of a car is a little uncomfortable for me; this is not saying in any way, shape, or form that there is ANYTHING wrong with it for someone else! At the same time, I know a more recent car, say an 86-87 328 is likely going to have fewer foibles than a 78 carb car. However, as Jon so aptly points out, they're ALL old cars and things are going to go regardless, so...

Adding to this little consternation is that "4VALVE" is interested in selling his 83 QV, and it sounds like a great car, too. Ugh!

I will, of course, keep you all abreast of my exploits. BTW, James, a couple of threads ago you replied that your car does not make the "burble/bumb-didee-bum-bum" exhaust note of the 83 QV I tested in AZ. When I test drove the yellow GTS, it had and Gary Bobileff said that that is caused by the belt-driven air pump. The 83 QV's have the belt-driven air pump, though I'm not sure if it's the same configuration as the carb cars. But, if so, this could explain why an 83 QV has that sound and yours doesn't. then agin, I may be and am probably way off base here, as the carb car I went for ride in a couple of weeks ago had its air pump disconnected and it still make that cool exhaust burble. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

Til next time, fellers,

Scott p.s. Steve, still meaning to give you a call :)

11. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Just curious, did you ever check out the 83'QV of fly308's? It happens to be Yellow too! And the same price as the 78'. Its on Ferrari Ads here.

Cheers!

12. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Be sure to check VERY carefully for rust on the 83' and earlier cars, especially the lower door area, try to find a car that hasn't been re-painted or one that has pictures before the re-paint, so that you'll know if you had (or have) rust or body damage issues. Those cars are not rust protected.
    Also, be sure to have a stash of cash for unexpected problems, don't spend every dime on the car.
    I made sure that I had a $10k emergency fund, when I bought mine (probably overkill), luckily I didn't need it.
    Then find and enjoy the car, your life will never be the same again.

13. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    #13 irondogmike, Mar 13, 2008
    boy is that true,I took off the cover last weekend and didn't put it on just so I can see it every morning and night,befor I go to work and come home,you see I go in the garage and put on my boots for work and at nite again I take them off,the chair is right next to my ride
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 spiderseeker, Mar 13, 2008
  15. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    thats cool Steve are in the process of fixing up your garage too! Is yours a qv?

16. WildKarrde

WildKarrde Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Congratz! I hope to be in your position in a couple years. :)

17. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    you will just keep going to the ferrari shows,save money,go to ferrari chat look at ferrari's for sale then when the time is right buy ferrari,good luck you'll get there