348 door stuck | FerrariChat

348 door stuck

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by WJHMH, Mar 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #1 WJHMH, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A friend of mine bought this '92 348 a couple of days ago so I went to check it out. Apparently the passenger door button is seized in the open position, it feels like the lock is a bit loose but maybe catching the pin on the door pillar. Trying to open from the interior won't work either but the power door locks just lock & unlock. I tried first spraying some WD40 round the button first & when that didn't work I tried PB Breaker & let it sit for a while, that didn't work either. I drove it around with the tagra off thinking maybe that might unsettle it & relieve stress from the door, but to no avail that did help. I thought about removing the strike side panel try to get to the lock from there but think it's secured also from the inside so the door panel would have to be removed. Anyone got some ideas on how to get the door open? Also if anyone has the schematics of the inside of the door lock assembly, I would really appreciate it posting that info as well.

Thanks,

Will
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I ran out of daylight So I'll try again tomorrow, as many times as I tried it's a real bastard.

Jack, Thanks for the info. There's going to be a a small list of various items that most likely be ordered from Ricambi.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    try aaa and let them slim jim it. If you lucky the release bar can be toggled. You can't get the door panel off with door shut. the striker is locking the door lock down. You need to get to the striker area and release it. It the notmal slimjim bar can't get it you need a dentist and a picture of exactly what to release. Try AAA first then if open take the door panel apart before someone shuts the door again. Then you can play with the mechanism until it works then put the panel bakc on. If you can't get AAA to open it post back here and I'll shoot you a picture of exactly what you need to press.

5. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
    [/I]
    Will,

If you lower the window you will see there is a gap between the glass and the black rubber triangle. This is where you gently slide in a big flat srewdriver. New apply a little pressure and you can look into the door.
    It helps to ripp out the bottom door-pannel so you can put a flashlight in.
    At this point you can look down on to the lock and the jammed pin. Wiggle and toggle!

Regards, Ben

6. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I worked on it for more than an hour today until I was told about something that happened when the car was delivered. Apparently when the door button was pressed in something made a horrible noise like a spring coming undone & small parts rattling around. I called James at Norwood to give him an idea of what going on & he explained it all in detail just as everyone else here did. The owner, (hopefully he will join in with us soon) wanted to get the door working as much as I did. Being in Fort Worth there not a lot of Ferrari Mechanics here, the closest is in mid cities & I don't know how to get a hold of him. Norwood was going to be too far of a drive & also the car is in need of a PPI. (Post Purchase Inspection) Not only that, I'd would driving 35+ miles into Dallas "jehad traffic" with possible unseen mechanical issues. Not wanting to risk that, the only idea I had was to call Don Istook, a veteran Porsche mechanic two miles from the owners home. He worked with Ferraris before, & has an excellent reputation so I know it will be in trusted hands. The most frustrating thing is I was completely sure I was very close solving the problem & getting this resolved. Urrghh....sometimes you get to call in an expert, I'll keep you guys posted.

www.istooks.com

7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you even attempt to take the inner door panels off? Or can you even get it open from the inside door lever?

8. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was about to try that but after examining the drivers door it's not even possible when the door is closed. I'm going by Istook's in a bit to see how it's coming along.

9. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Interesting. Since the pushbutton is stuck down inside the housing, I think I would drill a small hole into the center of the button and thread a screw into it, then grab the screw with a pair of pliers and pull the button out. That MIGHT release the catch, but if someone slammed the door shut while the latch was already engaged, the latch may be toast. It would be easy to fill in the drill hole in the button. The button needs to be replaced or at least repainted anyway. It's possible that the back of the button assembly has fractured off, which would allow the return spring to fly off and the broken part to fall inside the door (just like the described noise). But the door should still open with the inner release lever, unless the cable is broken or the latch is broken.

10. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #10 WJHMH, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Problem solved, the door is now open. The cable became detached & was dangling freely so that is one reason why I couldn't find it. Also the nylon button backing is damaged, I'm still not sure how that happened but a new one will be ordered. Maybe it was pushed in at a odd angle. (if that's possible) Parts will be ordered from Ricambi so the 348 will back on the road unless another unforeseen problem arises.

11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Can you explain what was wrong with the pushbutton?

Good luck finding just the nylon slider piece - I don't believe it shows as a separate part. The diagram does show the button itself as a separate part (62584200), but it doesn't appear to show the slider attached to it. I'm sure Daniel can tell you. As I said in the other thread, the entire pushbutton assembly (62108710) lists for over $800 (!!) even at Ricambi, and still has to be painted to match. That's hideous! I don't really understand what could have happened to it.

12. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    The button was jammed in somehow, I noticed several areas of the car that that didn't have any grease. (door hinges, catches, etc..) That might have been a contribution to the issue. The painted button piece can be removed, it's held on with two clips but as for the nylon cylinder I hope it doesn't have to be acquired by purchasing the whole $800 kit. I'm not sure about any hope of repair of that part.

:eek:

13. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I'll bet you could make one of those nylon sliders out of stock material. It might not LOOK exactly like the old one, but it would serve exactly the same purpose, and it's completely hidden from sight unless the button assembly is removed from the car. I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere NEAR to $800 if all I needed was the slider.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Contact luckydynes on FChat by PM. He has got my 348 and it has the parts you need. He may not need them and could work you a deal.