Just got my 612....noticed something.... | FerrariChat

Just got my 612....noticed something....

Discussion in '612/599' started by asg612, Mar 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Strange....

What a car! Just got delivered off the truck. I took her for a quick spin and 5 minutes with the car has reaffirmed my love affair! Thank's to everyone who told me to hold out and wait for a car I could better live with than the Ingrib/Blue - My new baby is a much more desireable and liveable combination.

So, I have a slight incline to my driveway just before I enter my garage. I stopped just outside my garage doors (since I dont have an opener in the car just yet) and I put the car in 1st gear, and pulled the parking brake. The car rolled backwards. So I did it again, but left the car in Reverse, pulled the parking brake and it rolled backwards. Neutral, parking brake - rolled backwards. 1st gear again, parking brake - rolled backwards. Then I lightened the pressure of my foot on the brake, then pulled the parking brake and the car stayed put.

Obviously there is a problem with the parking brake.....or am I not doing something right?

I knew I shouldn't have bought a used car......just my luck! I haven't even registered the car yet or paid my taxes and if definately needs to go into the shop.

How can a dealer sell a car that doesn't stay parked???

I called my dealer on his cell-phone today - and he said "Florida, we dont have many hills....not like New Jersey."

Do you have any recourse with an exotics dealer when buying a used car? Or is it "as is".

Last time I ever do this....ever.

Thanks for any insight.

best,

asg

PS - AND THE CAR IS MISSING THE EXTERIOR 612 BADGE!!!!

2. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen

Sounds like it just needs to have the parking brake cable tightened. Simple adjustment on the 360, but not sure on the 612. They loosen up. So previous owner and dealer might not have caught it, since it's freaking flat in Florida.

Badge missing? I'd be pissed. That's probably going to be $500+ to replace that if you want to.

Post pics of this new beauty!
    Hunter

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    most quality dealers would pick up the repair cost if you send them the local invoice. my wife's XKR coupe arrived with a blemish on the seat and they sent me a cheque [Momentum Porsche/Jag in Houston].

how did you miss the lost badge? didnt you inspect pix if not PPI? i hope the missing badge is not a symptom of paint work.

4. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Glad to know that if its just a tightening....it wont be so bad. You can imagine the feeling when I parked the car, turned the key, opened the door and saw pavement moving beneath the car!

Regarding the badge - the previous owner of the car ordered it with "special" badges and emblems. The car has two pininfarina badges at the rear wheel position with "F" historic flags emblem above. On the trunk lid are emblems of two flags as well.

The car wasn't ordered with the 612 badge on the front passenger fender. In the pics I was sent it appeared that the badge was there, but after further inspection, it was a reflection. Not something I was honestly thinking about when purchasing this particular car....since it had the custom ordered badging.

I'll keep you all posted and get some pics posted soon!

Thanks again,

asg

PS - And recomendations for seriving in NJ/NY would be great.

5. Liva

Liva Rookie

Jun 4, 2007
    we had a similar problem in our 612, but it ended in disaster...Car was parked on a slight incline in the driveway in ridgewood...Was parked in the same spot everynight for 3 weeks, one night car alarm started going off at 11pm looked out the window to the car rolling down the driveway followed by a loud noise which was the rear end hitting the neighbors house. Not pleasant and car was out of commission for a few months in the body shop. Bottom line, parking brake BLOWS in these cars...if the car is running and you leave it in first, it will disengage in a few seconds into neutral and the car will roll. Make sure the car is in first before you shut the car off everytime...as for servicing, wide world of cars in spring valley NY...they have always been good to me

6. RTB

RTB Formula 3

Sep 5, 2006
    UK
    I don't think that I've yet owned a Ferrari which was delivered with the handbrake tight enough - it's always something that has to be adjusted!

7. Rong

Rong Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I believe the car should not roll in first gear even with the parking brake off. The clutch may be bad in the car. I had the same problem in my driveway with a 430 and the clutch was the culpret. They tightened the handbrake until it would only lift around an inch and the car still rolled. A new clutch fixed the problem. Going in revese in an uphill driveway frys the clutch.

8. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    You guys can't be telling me that the car isnt capable of being parked???

All these F1's will roll backwards if you take your foot of the brake at a stoplight on an incline or hill. This I am aware off.

You can't be serious that the car's parking brake isnt strong enough to keep the axels from rolling backwards. If this were true, the car's wouldn't be allowed to be brought into the US.

I'm going to have the car serviced in the next week or so. The 15,000 mile big service, so, I guess they'll let me know if the clutch is fried or the car is useless then.

What do you do if you get a car that's completely messed up? I guess this is the reason for buying new or with a warranty.

Thanks,

asg

PS - Hey, if you are in Ridgewood, we should meet up sometime. I'm in Saddle River - We love Wild Ginger!

9. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    I'm not an owner, so I can't say much- other than I would love to see some pics, my friend. (Who doesn't like pics of an F-car?!)
    -Colin

10. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Sorry I missed it -- what's the color combo?

Best,

Gary

11. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Sorry Gary. And sorry again...I owe you a call.

Well, I wound up with a much more liveable color combo - Nero Metallico/Cuoio - Pretty Snazzy if you ask me. I love it. It has the modular wheels, red calipers - just what I was looking for.

Also, I found a piece of paperwork from the old owner.....its someone I know - a well know watch dealer in Florida. Pretty funny - had I known he was selling his car, I wold have just bought it from him.

I took the 612 in for a full service and heard from the mechanic today. It needs some TLC, but hopefully by next weekend, I'll be all set. 15,000m service, radar, stereo and we'll be good to go for the NY/NJ summer!

Will you be in Geneva? I'm heading over april 4th.

I'll be in touch soon!

Best regards,

asg

12. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Nice to see some Bergen County boys on the forum.

13. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Sounds great -- I'm thinking nero/cuoio if I ever actually reach the head of the queue for my 599 -- would love to see a "wrist shot!"

I like the modular wheels as well -- mine has them with the matte finish, and I think they make the car look a lot more aggressive. And the red calipers must look very sweet as well.

Sad to say, no Basel for me this year. I am meeting with Allen, Jeff, K. and Michael H. for dinner on Monday to exchange KV notes -- will be happy to fill you in.

Enjoy the car -- and I'll look forward to getting in touch.

Best,

Gary

14. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Car should not roll when parked in gear. You should be able to park on a hill without the handbrake and the car still not roll.
    Ferrari handbrakes are crap, they need constant re-adjustment.

15. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Me too. The last 3 new Fcars I've had including my 599 have all needed handbrake adjustment to stay put on anything other than a billiard table flat road. I'm a founder member of the "park in gear" society.

16. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Guys -

I agree about the "park in gear" club. It is my understanding that the F1 transmission acts like a manual, in that, once the pressure is taken off the brake pedal, the clutch engages and, if gas is not supplied, the car will roll backwards while in gear. If this is true, when the car is put into gear, and the engine is turned off, the car will roll.

My car is currently at the mechanic, he has infomred me that my clutch is fine - its a strange problem. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gary -

Thanks for the well wishes - Wrist shot to follow soon - I had saved some pics on my computer, but I dont remember where. I'll look for them. I will see Jeff K in Basel, he graciously secured a brand coctail party invite for me. I'm hoping to see Kari in Basel. If you'll sign a CDA, I'll send you the schematics of the invention Kari is making for me:). Or, I could post it here. I bet not many would see it :).

Have fun!

asg

17. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think you might be wrong. I have an F1 and a crap handbrake. If I don't park in gear the car rolls even with the handbrake on. Parking in gear holds the car, that's why in the manual it tells you to leave the car in gear when you park it.

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Love the custom badges

19. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    Beautiful! Love the color combo.. very classy!

20. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    very nice!!!

21. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    I'll have her back from service on Friday. Can't wait!!!!

22. onlyreal

onlyreal Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    oguz goker
    dont worry on that it is a common problems on f cars
    thats what dealer told me

i had to tighten my handbrake too on f430

23. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Love the car -- color combo is classy indeed, I'm a big fan of those wheels, and I really like the piping on the seats. Many happy and safe miles to you.

On the other topic, I'm more than eager to sign a non-disclosure -- drop me an email or PM and let's figure it out, as I'm quite eager to learn about the invention (and able to keep a secret). Great dinner last night with the gang, who send their best wishes. By the way, Kari has agreed to have my piece certified in Besancon for a fairly modest upcharge -- I like the idea of getting the observatory certification.

Best,

Gary

24. A_SINGER

A_SINGER Karting
    BANNED

Mar 19, 2008
    wonderful car and the color combination looks great I'm sorry youve had one or two teething problems but these'll be easily rectified. Its iritating though.