Miles Davis & 10669 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Miles Davis & 10669

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Doody, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pcdunham

pcdunham Rookie

Nov 13, 2007
    Very nice. What a great fusion. Art of the photograph as a whole, art of Miles and art of Ferrari.

2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Bought it - listened to it a number of times - LOVE IT! - thanx
    Nathan

3. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
  4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Thanks for that link. For many reasons, this is one of my favorite threads. When I was a kid, I'd pop my hearing aids out *just *so** - so the sound would change, stand just outside the tiled shower with my trumpet, & try to get this *sound* - great way to measure a Summer's day.

Years later on another Summer's day... takin' a break from surfing in Malibu, I stopped walking for a sec as a garage door opened, out came a yellow Ferrari and ain't nobody but nobody will ever stare me down like Miles Davis did the day I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. That became a *moment* to measure all others by.

Now, this is not shameless self-promotion - but, recently I started a thread not just for Subscribed Members who like or love Jazz, but perhaps will as a result. Got to spread that Gospel.

Jazz Videos. Miles leads the charge, of course.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258331

5. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Big Miles fan. Early, late...love it all. As I remember when he bought the silver Testarossa he was living in Malibu and had his agent contact the local police. The gist of the message was that "if you see a black man driving around in a Ferrari with this plate number it's Miles, so leave him the _____ alone!"

6. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    In the late 90's Denise McCluggage spoke at The Como Inn in Chicago and told a story about being with Miles at Chinetti's Shop in the 60's (IIRC). As they were looking around someone blew a car horn to which Miles responded, "F and G."

7. miami420

miami420 Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Shaan Dholakia
    the best FChat thread ever's recipe is as follows

- 1 cup miles
    - 1 cup ferrari
    - 1 cup FChat Jazz heads (where have you all been?!?!?)

mix together until homogeneous, and there you have it; the best FChat thread ever.

i am speechless and find myself coming back to this thread repeatedly since reading it for the first time earlier last week. Yeah, i keep reading it; over and over again.

wow.

sd

oh and i am partial to Birth of the Cool. however, Miles Smiles, Kind of Blue, and A Love Supreme are amazing. yikes i feel like i am cheating on all the other albums i adore. safe to say Miles is at the top of my list, aside from genre.

8. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
  9. miami420

miami420 Karting

Jun 27, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Shaan Dholakia
    #85 miami420, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    #86 Michael Call, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  11. saxnerd314

saxnerd314 Rookie

Sep 29, 2009
    CA
    Full Name:
    David
    ok ive been a huge f-car fan for a long time and when i found this website i thought there could be nothing better. But now I found this thread and I thought I had gone to Heaven! I've played sax for about six years now and have played jazz for about four of those but have just recently started getting serious about it. So finding these stories about Miles was just awesome! Thank you to everyone and their amazing experiences!

I know Sonny Rollins had a lot of respect for Miles and called him a "seeker". I find that both of them knew how to say just what they wanted to and how to put emotion into their music without feeling the need to do double time sixteenth note runs throughout every solo. It is a nice contrast to some of bebop and more recent and liberal jazz artists.

So, I know 10669 was sold, or was up for sale a while ago. Do any of you know what has become of it since?

12. Bevo

Bevo Karting

Feb 2, 2005
    columbus ohio
    Full Name:
    jack babbitt
    i owned this car for over 20 years..sold in all orig.condition with under 20,000 miles in 2002

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    10669 unfortunately was cut and CONVERTED by RS Panels into a 275 NART Spider look-a-like and was last seen in the UK.

Marcel Massini

14. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Dont know why I am just now discovering this thread...

I am a HUGE miles nut and have been for years. I wrote a couple graduate level papers on him and have long known of his affinity for Ferraris.

I remember when his Yellow 308 came available on Ebay a few years ago. I wanted that car so badly I would have almost done anything to do it. I had no idea that one of the former owners of that car was right here on the board (jack@ferrariguys). I had no idea that it was Jim G (Napolis) who found him there after the car wreck. I am also learning who the jazz guys are here. lvferraripilot going to Berklee - how cool is that!!!

For those reading this, I am a full-time professional trumpet player. My avatar here has been Miles Davis ever since I got my subscription. I even play on a horn that is a hand-built clone of Miles Davis personal horn. There are only two of these in existence, the other is in a museum.

So, Miles is my hero!!!

PDG

15. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    You always deliver the bad news!

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    WRONG. What M. Massini delivers is just reality...

17. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Don't shoot the messenger....

18. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    #94 whturner, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Don't mean to "diss" a fellow East St. Louisian (is that a word) but his music is way too introverted for me. I swear he would play the same notes with or without the audience. I'm more into the Marsalis vision of Jazz.
    But thats just me.

Cheers
    Warren

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Warren,

Miles taught us a very important thing in Jazz: the notes you don't play are just as important as the ones you do. The art of elimination.

Which Marsalis are you talking about? I'm not so fond of the Wyinton(sp?) one, but Branford is tops. I would say that being a sax player myself....

20. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I like both - but the thing I like about Wynton is his movement back to the roots of jazz. The early Jazz guys "played the right notes" to quote from a Tuba player when referring to Singleton Palmer, a mainstay of the St Louis Jazz scene when I lived there.
    They also did not feel they had to fill every microsecond with a note either. Of the New Orleans style - I especially like the slow march/blues music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDpMrQYoDuc
    Miles does not "speak to me". But anyone who likes Ferraris is OK.

Cheers
    Warren

21. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Please excuse me for re-living this old thread, but as a great Jazz fan, Ferrari fan and overall appreciator of a great story, I have to say this is one of the coolest things I've read on the Internet.

Miles was great... Did anyone ever start that Jazz thread here??? I just might have to...

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for sharing this.
    Wonderful read!

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002