82 Mondial project finally out driving! | FerrariChat

82 Mondial project finally out driving!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Tim66, Mar 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim66

Tim66 Rookie

May 27, 2007
    Centerville, Utah
    Full Name:
    Tim Bailey
    #1 Tim66, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought this last year. It sat in storage for 5 months while I figured out how to tell my wife I needed another project/retoration car (currently working on 3 Porsche restorations). I could not pass on this for the price. I have been working on getting it running for a month. I had to rebuild the fuel distributor and warm up regulator, make new spark plug wires, etc. I got it running pretty good last friday afternoon and have made up reasons to drive it everyday rain or shine this past week. This is my first Ferrari and it is very fun to drive. I took it through the canyons and it hugs the corners with very little body roll. Now I am already looking at another project Ferrari. This is addictive. I have posted more pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/t21912525/FerrariMondial enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. chrispy2926

chrispy2926 Karting

Mar 12, 2008
    victoria,australia
    Full Name:
    christopher davies
    Hey Tim . I wish you well with your mondial. It looks pretty good so far! I like how you can tune the radio without taking your eyes off the road and the passengers in the back can also change the music!

3. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Congrats on your purchase! As an owner of a black '82 Mondial, it's nice to see another on the road - that poor car looks like it went through some serious neglect - as a lot of these did, as they were (are) pretty under-appreciated. They can be found pretty dirt cheap though, even in good condition, which unfortunately means sometimes people who can't take care of them buy them.

I think they're great touring cars, comfortable and relatively quick. Looks like you have your work cut out for you! I can see for you it's mechanicals first, cosmetics 2nd.. just like me. I have been working on mine nearly a year (off and on) - probably have 6 more months to go. A labor of love.. usually.. ha

Keep us posted, and keep drivin' it.. that's what they're made for.

Jim

P.S. - That cell phone antenna hole KILLS me!! What kind of a ******bag.. ah, never mind..

4. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    Back in the 80's, the cell phone antenna was every bit about bragging rights as it was function. Maybe more-so? But I agree... drilling a hole int he body for a cell phone antenna makes about as much sense as drilling a hole in the body of a car today for a CB antenna. Luckily the prior owner of mine had the good sense to use a glass-mount antenna which I promptly removed as soon as I received the car...

5. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Yes, I totally remember the antenna's being on a car and that was 'the thing' to have. It meant you had money.. you were somebody.. you were connected and necessary.. haha.. Back in the old days I had a glass-mount on a car which had a mounted phone in it. It's amazing how fast it all changed.. Anyway, to keep on topic - are you going to fill that hole? What are you plans for the car going forward?

6. Tim66

Tim66 Rookie

May 27, 2007
    Centerville, Utah
    Full Name:
    Tim Bailey
    I think Ferrari's Ergonomic Engineers took the day off when the factory was figuring out were to place the radio in the first Mondial.

7. Tim66

Tim66 Rookie

May 27, 2007
    Centerville, Utah
    Full Name:
    Tim Bailey
    I hope you don't kill me, but I am looking at a Testarossa project for a great price. I put the Mondial in the Salt Lake City, Utah, Craigslist. If I sell it, I will buy the Testarossa. If I don't sell the Mondial, I will restore it completely with a few modifications to the engine. Either way I will be happy. I love the Mondial, so if it does not sell, that will be ok.

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Seems like a fair price.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'm curious what you paid for it yourself. :)

10. Tim66

Tim66 Rookie

May 27, 2007
    Centerville, Utah
    Full Name:
    Tim Bailey
    The owner was originally asking $17,500 not running. I got it for a fraction of that amount. I never talked to the owner. I was always negotiating with his son in law. I don’t think the owner even cared how much he got. I felt the owner just told his son in law to get rid of it. The son in law was a used car salesman so the owner thought he would be the best person in the family to sell the car for him. The owner was extremely wealthy and could probably buy several Enzo’s without blinking an eye. The other cars at the owners house (mansion) were in very good condition and much newer and more expensive. Sense the Mondial's condition and age did not fit with the others, I think he probably gave it to one of his kids and that’s why it is in the condition it is in today.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Funny story. Well, have fun driving it for a while...sounds like you made out like a bandit!