288 GTO for sale------------- | FerrariChat

288 GTO for sale-------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Well I know where some of Saturday nights rollover win is going,dream dream

3. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Price fair if it's authenticated mileage and concours. Otherwise you can save £50k+ for a car with more miles. Wouldn't bet on it's reliability either - cars of this age with such low mileage are often a complete mechanical disaster waiting to happen 'cos things like oil seals will have perished (= could be v expensive to fix). Not a problem if you want to put it in a museum and look at it all day, but that would be such a waste of a such a fabulous machine!

4. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Jesus, there is a F1 GTR for sale on that site.

5. jenzo

jenzo Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    JENZO
  6. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I often wonder what I would do if I bought a car like this 288,ie very low mileage mint condition (assuming I had pots of money).

Would I do you do the proper thing and drive it as it should be or would I be swayed by the low mileage and keep it in a garage, to protect the investment ?

It's a problem I would love to have to solve ! What would win head or heart ?

7. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    If you're going to drive a car, you buy one with higher mileage, not pay a premium for a low mileage one then rack up the miles on it.

8. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tony,

I know this car and the owner, (67 yrs young and living in Spain), driven the car five/six times since he bought it some 15 years ago. He bought it just for an investment and if he gats what they're asking he'll make a tidy profit....However, the car is not a 10.0 concours car, (maybe 8.5-9.0 on a good day), it has had problems in the past and has cost quite alot to keep it in good condition, I think he's trying to recoup all the money and then some. (He wouldn't like me saying that !),
    I think the car is worth a slight premium over average mileage examples but 60-70k..No way IMO ! I think I'd be asking £195-205k max ?

My car has done 33,800 kms and is mechanically better and equal in appearance, mine is for sale at £170k, and I've had alot of interest and one offer which I knocked back.

But tha's just my opinion, I'm sure others will have a different point of view ?

ATB,

Steve

9. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve,

How come you are selling the GTO. I thought the masterplan included keeping it? And how is the 275 quest coming along?

Stig

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The 288GTO at Gstaad sold for £139,500ish (depending on exchange rates) + premium. It was low mileage but needed work not least a new clutch master cylinder. When you depressed the clutch the pedal stayed on the floor. Still wouldn't think it needed £100k spent on it to make it perfect.

11. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Stig,

Sorry it's taken a while to reply, off colour at moment? - Advice from a very good friend who helped me source the GTO said I should try and put it on the market because interest in these cars has never been so great, If I get a good offer, I can always buy another, Mine has donee a fair few miles now and I'd like one in concours condition to show aswell ??? Not bothered if I don't sell her though.
    The 275 search is hard going, not many RHD around and what LHD are for sale aren't great! - I've found 2 possibles and I'm just researching their past to make sure I buy the right one, A third possiblitity reared it's head at the weekend, so might see that one this coming W/e if I'm upto it.
    All LHD
    1x Rosso/Nero/Rosso Carpets
    1x Argento/Nero/Nero Carpets
    1x Giallo/Nero/Grey Carpets (Not seen yet)

I'll keep you posted !

Steve