Why not too many sponsors/decals on the F2008 car? | FerrariChat

Why not too many sponsors/decals on the F2008 car?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 9 ONE 1, Mar 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 9 ONE 1

9 ONE 1 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    S. V.
    I just watched practice sessions in Melbourne and the F2008 paint sceme looks so empty, specially at the rear wing. I'm sure Ferrari has deep pockets but sponsors are always nice to have.

2. LongJohnSilver

LongJohnSilver Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2006
    Gainesville FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
  3. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    is there tobacco advertising this year? usually that rear wing was reserved for Marlboro, depending on the circuit and country.

4. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    So much better without all the advertising noise.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    normally, they use a barcode even at the rear wing. but this time, i think the car really looks empty...

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I thought that was outlawed this year. {The barcode}

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    why so? they're not advertising Marlboro.

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    As far as I recall that's the reason. Marlboro is the sponsor and the bar code represents them.

9. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    By not putting anything on the back wing, it'll probably generate more talk and publicity thus causing greater exposure for Ferrari and Marlboro. Plus, if Ferrari put anything else where the Marlboro stuff usually goes, I'm assuming that Marlboro wouldn't be too happy considering the vast amount of money that they contribute.

10. 9 ONE 1

9 ONE 1 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    S. V.
    Good point. Its like having the Marlboro Logo there but not really there.

11. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    well, i remember that BAR had that 'look alike' decals on certain races, i think it's just a msg to the FIA. anyways, if i were Marlboro, just buy the whole car..settle the issue :)

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The car looks bleak and boring without the Marlboro stickers. Can't wait for Bahrain when we see it again in all its beauty.

13. cla6665

cla6665 Guest

Jul 8, 2007
    Ferrari is a racing car, not a billboard!
    Enjoy it in all her red!

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The team is officially called "Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro". Marlboro pays many hundreds of millions of dollars to the team. They deserve some recognition and respect. Without the Marlboro money they wouldn't be at the top of the game.

In the Schumacher era Marlboro paid his salary and probably now they're doing the same thing for Kimi.

15. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    This is just going off memory but I think the Marlboro deal was 900m over 10 years, ending in 09.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought it was different. More like recently renewed for 200 million over the next few years.

What is amazing is the loyalty Marlboro has to Ferrari. Even when the law prohibits sponsorship in most races, they are willing to support the team. That deserves respect and is one of the reasons I always put Marlboro stickers on my Ferrari models.

17. icky

icky Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Anchorage, AK
    Full Name:
    Jesse B.
    I actually like the barcodes far more than the Marlboro logos.... I dunno, I think I'm the only one though...

18. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Eh, smoking sucks, and people who do it are stupid. If somebody else wanted to sponsor the team, I wouldn't care at all. I think the car looks better now that it doesn't remind me of some cigarette wall behind the counter of a convenience store.

Time keeps moving on.

Peter

19. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I don't think having the Marlboro on the car made people want to smoke, but rather have people who are already smoking switch to Marlboro.

20. Bukem

Bukem Karting

Sep 27, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Ben M
    Marlboro paid c.$200million a year for the next 5-7 years (optioned after 5 I think) for lead team partner exclusivity. This means an affinity partnership with the team which is in place despite legislation restricting direct tobacco sponsorship in most countries except Bahrain, China (possibly) and maybe Singapore.

Philip Morris (owners of the Marlboro brand) knew exactly what they were getting into with this new deal. It's clever, and highly subliminal: the barcode is something that operates sub-consciously to associate with the tobacco brand's logo and brand mark, yet doesn't contravene the regulations. There's the obvious association with the colour which ties the Ferrari and Marlboro brands tightly, and I would think that Philip Morris leverage as much as they can on the corporate & B2B side of the arrangement with hospitality, and unique access to the team for events and promotions where permitted. All in all a good deal.

As for the lack of sponsors decals, this will in part be down to the terms of the Marlboro deal, which will enforce large areas of clear red space, and the fact that the rate card and terms & conditions of top teams like Ferrari restrict the number of 'partners' to give their brandmarks clear space for clarity on screen and in photography. By contrast, look at Force India's car, or for a stark contrast, the last real Minardi: festooned with logos, that most of us have never heard of. Now, who has the biggest budget in F1? The team with the fewest sponsors on the car - it's no coincidence...

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    from what i know they spent millions, renewing the deal with Ferrari till 2012.

22. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I think Marlboro has spent over a billion sponsoring Ferrari in the last few years.

23. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    u might be true. IIRC, this current deal is worth about 400 mil.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

Thank you for this very informative and non emotional statement. Much appreciated.

That is precisely the case. Sport sponsorship doesn't create smokers, but it raises brand awareness. Smoking in movie OTOH does create a stimulant to actually start smoking. Funny that no lawmakers go after that industry.

25. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    This is just here-say, so can someone confirm or disprove... I heard from a well respected friend of mine that the "bare" nose of the F2008 came from Kimi, who stipulated that it was a bit distracting with all the colors and logos. So if you notice, they do not have any logos in the area where the driver can see from out of the cockpit. Once the nose curves enough to be out of sight, there are big, bold logos. Also it is said that the clearcoat on the top of the nose is not as shiny as the rest of the car. Maybe its my mind playing tricks on me, but I did notice that on the tv coverage last night. That spot on the nose is more matte than the rest of the car. That to me gives my friend's statement validity, though I haven't snooped around looking for real hard evidence. It's enough to get a warrant though... Search Kimi's apartment. Bring him in for questioning (damnit... watching too much Law and Order...).

If what I said is true, that's pretty cool. Only Ferrari would cater to their drivers like that (or probably even encourage them to speak up about that sort of issue), imo, and that's why I love them.