R/C RC Helicopter good first choice? | FerrariChat

R/C RC Helicopter good first choice?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by LetsJet, Mar 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You watched Rob & Big last night, huh?

I want one too.

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    LOL

Actually I DVR the damn show!(saves time FF through commercials) Caught it today and it reminded me I wanted to look into this. They are a funny pair. Reminds me of a friend of mine.

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That CF2 is an easy one to start with because it is a coaxial model, meaning it has two main blades that are counter-rotating obviating the need for a tail rotor and making it much easier to fly. Now, what will happen is you will get tired of it right away, and want to move up. Your next one should be this one, the Cp Pro
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=EFLH1300
    A great helicopter for the price, with a single main rotor and a real tail rotor, so it flies like a real helicopter. Don't get the cheaper Blade Cp, get the Blade Cp pro.
    These things are NOT easy to fly like the first CF2, but they are addictive and you will break parts.
    I recommend you get training software like this:
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HANS2000
    which has the Blade Cp pro as one of its simulated models. You need to practice with software or train with someone with dual controls (a cable between your radio and his, so when you lose control you just lift your thumbs of your radio and the other guy takes over on his). The software looks expensive, but it is NOT. You will save this much in parts in a few weeks if you learn the software first.

1. You will love it.
    2. Rc helicopter are difficult to master so:
    3. As a beginner you will NOT be able to fly a true rc helicopter with tail rotor without crashing.
    4. You WILL spend a lot of money on parts. Buying the helicopter and the radio is the cheap part compared to the parts you will replace!

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks is Horizonhobby a good shop or is there a better one you guys recommend?

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That show is hilarious. I have a friend just like Big Black, but he's from the FL panhandle (AF base) and not Mississippi. The RC segments were hilarious. Especially the very last one when it just dropped straight down, LOL!

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Horizon is good to start, then when you get addicted you can go places like these:
    http://www.helidirect.com/index.php?cPath=37

And here's a couple of good websites to learn from:
    http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
    http://www.bladecprepair.com/index.html

And here is a forum, and if you search the web there are other good forums:
    http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2261

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    One of the BEST choppers to start with is the Megatech House Fly. You will be flying in 30 minutes! There are tons on the market like it, BUT......This one has foam blades, which is a HUGE safety factor and is (IMO) EXTREMELY important and the quality and getting replacement parts is great. I'll sell you mine for $150, perfect condition with a few extra blades. Keep in mind that there is a LOT of 'garbage choppers' on the market. I get at least one email a week from a Chinese manufacturer offering to sell me a 40' container of them at $6-$8 each.

You may want to check out Precision Heli that is a supplier on my new business site, www.VIPHobby.COM. VERY cool little choppers!

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks guys........ I'll check these out.

Peter, do you think the Blade CX2 RTF is a good model?

10. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    If you're just a rank beginner (like me) and just want to have fun without getting too serious, I'd highly recommend the Micro Mosquito. Co-axial rotors also, and it's very, very easy to fly. Cheap too, and robust in construction. Here's a link to a review : http://www.slashgear.com/micro-mosquito-helicopter-takes-to-the-tiny-skies-221777.php

I saw one of these in action at a toy store here, and they're really a lot of fun! Don't teach you too much about real R/C flying though, that's the downside.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Yes it is, but you have hrd plastic blades (Like most all choppers). If you get hit in the face (Or hit somebody else) with it, you could cause some serious damage! With the House Fly, I have hit myself in the forehead (once) and with the foam blades, no injury. Also with the foam blades, when you hit something solid (And you will!), you can damage other components that could be pricey to repair. The foam wings will just bend and take the impact and will not effect the driveshaft components.

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I DVR the show every week too. It always can put you into a good mood.

My friends and I are almost identical to the way they act. To a lesser degree though.
    Partially decapitated!!!

I'd like to know what exactly happened. It would seem you have a better chance to get struck by lightning or win the lottery.

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  16. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'll toss my $.02 in on where to buy:

If you can help it, DO NOT order from Great Planes (Tower Hobbies) or Horizon. They are the two largest hobby distributors in North America that sell to dealers. Their websites compete DIRECTY with the dealers they supply to (And the dealers do not have a choice and hate it!). IMO, it's PATHETIC! Give the hard working, brick and mortar or other independant on-line resellers your business.

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    So, that's who 'not' to order from........... Then which online stores 'to'?

18. guirodri

guirodri Karting

Apr 26, 2005
    Rio - Brazil
    Full Name:
    G Rodrigues
    Do you want a toy or RC Heli? This one from horizon is a toy IMO. I started with a Raptor 30. Its a good first RC, but you'll need somone to teach you.
    I used to read rcuniverse.com was a good forum some years ago.

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #20 PeterS, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For somebody that wants to REALLY get into flying choppers, the BEST way to learn is to:

1) Buy a dual-bladed chopper like the House Fly. They are fun and will get you into thinking if that is something you really want to do (Because once you REALLY get into it, break out that wallet!)

2) Get a simulator like Real Flight for your PC, About $300.

3) Master the flight simulator and you are ready to buy a serious starter chopper ($300-$500, gas or electric) and take lessons with an instructor.

Here is a pic of a friend of mine who travels all over Japan spraying rice patties. Since real choppers can not be used for spraying, a large RC chopper is the ticket!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #21 teak360, Mar 16, 2008
  21. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    All I can say is Wow.......

Thanks guys

I think I'll get the simulator first and see how I do.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  23. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    #24 GoFerrari28, Mar 17, 2008
    here is a good site for learning more about helos. http://www.runryder.com/

Have you flown RC planes before? I think it's easier to learn helos if you haven't since you won't be trying to unlearn a lot of the inputs from planes and at the same time learn to fly the helicopters.

this is my Century Hawk, I crashed it on my third flight and had to rebuild most of the tail section, but she still looks pretty good. I'm going to switch out the current receiver to a new 2.4 spectrum receiver and mate it to my new JR 9303 transmitter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Which one is considered the "house fly"?

I've looked on the various websites and can't find which one it is.