Show your design of whatever! | FerrariChat

Show your design of whatever!

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Night life, Feb 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    #1 Night life, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ciao tutti I have dabbled in design one form or another for many years such as simple lamps and lights to 3 nightclubs 1 Restaurant 1 Sport bar and my very own
    warehouse condo of which I am proud to show you pics of.
    The first pic is of the complex before construction (obviously) it was an old Co-op dairy factory so essentially a gigantic refrigerator that is the reason we picked it because the R value is fantastic. The walls ceiling roof are all 2ft thick with concrete and foam insulation and the basement and upstairs are 13ft high
    the total sq ft is 4300. I designed all aspects of the condo from blue prints to all the plumbing and the electrical, my GF dad and I also constructed 90% of the place including most of the electrical that I completed myself. I also designed all of the interior colour scheme and kitchen, in one of the pics you will see a wall light sconce silver pointy with blue accents I designed these because I could not find what I wanted they are about 4ft long and I have the through out the space.
    Let me know what you think and I would love to see other peoples work.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Damn that rocks! Stripper poles for every room ;)

-R

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I like that a lot!

How many condos did you turn it into? Or is it just one large building?

4. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Thank you. there are three in the building you saw and then another six in the building across you can see it in the pool shot, we are the only warehouse condo units that have a 25000 sq ft shared private lot with landscaped yard, pool, hot tub etc.,
    each unit in my building has 2.5 car built in garage and the other building each unit has double detached garage.

Plus my unit has full basement 2000 sq ft 13 ft high ceilings I just installed a golf simulator in it....:)

5. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    actually there are several posters that have designed some pretty famous sh*t...think original apple logo...roller coasters...porsche adverts, one-off bodies for high tech hotrods and classic bugatti rebodies. ...one never knows.

6. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    that sounds amazing, love the colours!

7. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Really? Very interested in hearing more about this.

8. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Ditto

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That is awesome!

Thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated. :)

10. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    #10 dkabab, Mar 17, 2008
    I design cars, only a side project at the moment, but hoping to turn it into reality one day. With enough funding, i want to open my own factory.
    1st one is my main design i have worked on, and is my first scale model... its a mid engine, sort of a modern day testarossa
    2nd one is a front engined GT, still working on it at the moment.

11. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Very cool mate how long have you been into auto design?

12. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    well lets see.... my dad bought me a 1:12 testarossa scale model when i was about 3yrs old (1987) and that started my love affair with ferrari and cars, so im now 23, and all i think about all day and night is cars, and ive been drawing car designs properly for maybe 10-12 years. i have a degree in industrial design. i started with the clay modeling because while my drawing is good, i just couldnt show what i had in my head. the first couple of models were complete failures, but that was because i didnt know clay too well. the mid engine one in the first picture was the first serious model i made, about 2002. the 2nd one is what i'm currently working on, i started it about 2 months ago, but havent had the time to finish it. i'm looking at making a mould of it so i can make a fibreglass model. my main aim is to eventually build them and sell them... ala pagani, koenigsegg, spyker (low production) just need the funding. its funny, most people want to own all the best cars on earth, while i wouldn't not want to, i would rather build the best car on earth.

13. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Great! I always admire those who have the skill to create such pieces of art. Everytime I try to do something which requires a steady hand, it ends up in a big mess. Can you describe the process of making that clay model? You don't just sit down, look at your sketches and form a block of clay into a car, do you? How do you keep the left and the right side symmetrical?

14. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks, yeah to be honest, that sort of is the process. There are not really any calculations that go into it. It’s all in my head.
    First I work out what scale it’s going to be, do a quick top down outline on the wooden sheet below it so I know where i'm going. Then I get some polystyrene (white stuff that holds your electrical goods in the box straight) and make a basic shape out of that, this method takes up most of the space in the middle of the design so you don’t need 50kg of clay. Then I make the basic shape around it, slapping clumps of clay to the polystyrene. Then its just hours and hours of moulding the clay into the general shape. over a few days, the clay gets a bit harder (not solid) as I keep cling wrap over it to keep the moisture in. keeping it symmetrical pretty much comes down to patients and an eye for detail I spose. I could spend hours adding small coin sized bits of clay on spots and smoothing it then adding more to somewhere else etc.... it probably takes me 20% of the time getting it to look like a car, then the remaining 80% refining the details. As for tools, I really only use my hands and a ruler, that’s it. I’d love to make a 1:1 scale model, but that would probably take me a year to do. Would probably be better off getting a 5axis turning machine to do that...

15. Lindsay_Ross

Lindsay_Ross Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #15 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 25, 2008
    Dkabab, Really great start. I'm about to graduate school and head into the professional design world. Any idea where you plan on furthering your education? Are there good design schools in Australia?

I am graduating from Art center College of Design and would be more than happy giving any advice or input on questions you may have. Great stuff.

Here is something I am designing:

16. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    What is it? (and don't just say a car)

It looks awesome..:)

17. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #17 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 25, 2008
  18. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #18 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 25, 2008
  19. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    You are very talented good luck in your profession.

20. Zahiba

Zahiba Formula 3

Mar 29, 2005
    Victoria, Canada
    Full Name:
    Malcolm
    #20 Zahiba, Mar 26, 2008
  21. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Lindsay, that is very beautiful. I believe you could sell that piece or designs in the same vein very easily. Best of luck!

22. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #22 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
  23. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    That looks awesome Lindsay. i really like the design. i wish i was good at 3d... i have a degree in graphic design, im a master of photoshop, yet i still suck at 3d... just could never get the hang of it. would love to do my designs in there, so i could just edit bit by bit and look at it from every angle...

i spose thats why i made the model

24. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    That is UBER cool, nice job..:)

25. Lindsay_Ross

May 14, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Lindsay Ross
    #25 Lindsay_Ross, Mar 27, 2008
    dkabab, yeah I live in photoshop too.

This is about 70% or so. Still a bit of work to make it look more natural, but this is the progress of one of the final renderings...