ID? My very old Ferrari.. | Page 11 | FerrariChat

ID? My very old Ferrari..

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 1oldf, Dec 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Ed, my whole family was involved with L.B.M.G. club in the fifties. My dad, mom and wife to be were on the scoring team while I did work on the flagging team. My time as a turn marshal was from as I recall late 54 to early 56....I'm sure we crossed paths.......Your two names do not ring any bells. Some names I recall from L.B.M.G. days, Fred Sander, Sam Kriedel, Dick Vehele, Dave Alley, Norm Parker, Haven't seen or heard from any of these folks in years..................George

2. Yamaric

Yamaric Karting

Apr 7, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard Dalgleish
  3. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Well we have not heard from M.M. after P.M.s and Email so it seems that we are in the death throughs of this thread. Any new input would be nice but I want to thank all you folks that took the time to contribute. It was fun.........Happy New Year George..

4. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    George,

Don't give up yet. I'm still looking for a 250 GT PF Coupe, #1121 I think, as to it's status.

Something will turn up as too many people are interested. It will be a pleasant surprise, when it does. You have planted a seed, let's see what develops.

Ciao...Paolo

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    +1

6. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    +2.

7. P 4 Staff

P 4 Staff Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Don´t give up...this thread is such a joy to read.

Tell you what though...I don´t think Marcel has a clue...

Best.

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    George and Ed, I brought this thread to the attention of my father, Robert Phillips. Before he bought his 500 Mondial (parked at a Rambler dealer in Oakland), he raced a 57 MGA, old english white/red. He had this to say about your post above:

"Read over it and do not recognize any of the names. I was a member of the Long Beach segment of the MG Car Club summer of 58 through fall of 59 but had a six and a two month deployment to WestPac in that time. I even won a barbeque grill at one of the meetings. I also remember running my one and only car rally but not favorably. A friend from the ship came along as navigator and timer but as I quickly discovered he had absolutely no competence in numbers. We had our wrist watches and it was a 12 hour 400 mile national points TSD rally and most of our competitors had Curta time/distance computers. Needless to say a very long day and not much fun."

9. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    The question is still open? Any new input??? M.M.

10. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    The question was never really answered. I tried email and pm to M.M. but to no avail. Someone out there must know about this 340 America????????? ONE LAST SHOT............................George

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Have you tried contacting Gerald Roush at the Ferrari Market Letter?

Dale

12. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    so, what's the chassis #?

13. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
  14. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Not for sure.................George

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    100% sure.

16. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How do you know Kare, what makes you positive now? Thanks,
    Erik

17. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    As I don't believe in a mystery Ferrari, those engine compartment photos really show that George's car matches 0124A and does not match 0118A. It is also known at this time that Kimberly's car had those bus lights. I still wonder if the car really went back and forth to Italy or if it was just kept at the harbor when Georger bought it. Best wishes, Kare

18. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks
    Erik

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, by bus lights i assume you mean the two at the bottom of the trunk lid.Many of the early 166MM Touring spyders had these[0006 for example].What is unusual about out mystery car is it also has a small red light mounted on the back of each rear fender.I don't see these on any of the early Touring spyders that I have pictures of. Just an observation. And thanks for confirming #0124. It was my first choice after my searches but I could not make a definitive decision. Tongascrew

20. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    #270 1oldf, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #271 GIOTTO, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    One engine strap does not solve our problem. The advertisement in 1954 has the raised mount for the windscreen. Mine did not. All the photos I have seen of 0118 including the latest photo show no raised mount. Also all photos show Tonneau fasteners on 0118. Who could have removed the windscreen and mount between 1954 or 55 and installed the Jag. XK120 windshield? After I had the car someone would have had to remount the original windscreen. Problem not solved.........................

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    So someone replaced the original set-up with a Jag wind screen and later on somebody put the original set-up back. Stranger things have heppened. Best wishes, Kare

24. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    During the time i had the car the original w.s. and raised mount were not with it. I would think it would be difficult to find these parts out of the blue. All the photos I've seen of 0118 did not have the raised windscreen but had tonneau fasteners, even today!

25. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I would imagine back then the parts would not be as scarce. However, I am far from an expert here. Just a fan of this thread! :D