Upgraded headlights | FerrariChat

Upgraded headlights

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, Mar 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Has anyone updgraded their main-beam headlamps to brighter bulbs on a 365/400/412? If so, to what type and how effective are they?

Thanks in advance!

Aidan

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan,
    I changed mine out shortly after I purchased the car to Hellas...
    60/55w Xenon +100% H4 bulbs (hi/lo) & 55w Premium Xenon +100% H1 bulbs (hi beams)
    With all the street lamps around here it is difficult to really see the full beam pattern but I do notice a difference from the orig. headlamps, lights up those signs pretty far down the road.
    Bruce

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Bruce

Thanks for your advice, but can you clarify a couple of things? By "+100%" do you mean that they produce 100% more light than the equivalent regular bulb? The H4s are the outer pair, and the H1s are the inner pair?

Did you upgrade the lights in the grille as well?

Aidan

4. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    For what it is worth make sure that there is a headlight relay and that the power requirement is not running through the switch as I have seen in some of the other similar vintage Italian autos. If there is no relay you may cook your switch with the additional power requirements.
    Rick

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aidan, that was the understanding I had. Do realize that from an astrophysics point of view, a star that is twice as bright is on a magnitude of 10. Here's the site I got mine from (my old stompin grounds).....

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/5.75_lo.asphttp://www.rallylights.com/hella/5.75_lo.asp

Mine was exported to France from the factory, so it's set up with amber Benelux lenses harnessed in to daylight flashing config., so just kept the H1 's that are in it.
    Bruce

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Rick,
    My understanding is that if you were to replace the H1 & H4's with true xenon, yes you definately need relays but the H1 & H4 conversion xenons don't draw that level of juice.
    Bruce