87TR with recent major for $39.9K | FerrariChat

87TR with recent major for $39.9K

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ndnguyen, Mar 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndnguyen

ndnguyen Karting

Jul 27, 2005
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Doesn't really say "recent major" -- more like "few miles since last major", but not a bad value at that price IMO (if compression and leakdown results are OKish).

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    I am always worried about the low priced units............. somethings just not correct. Why would they sell for a low dollar amount if the car is that good?

4. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Wow, that guy only owned that thing about 3 months? Here is the old thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173590&highlight=craigslist

Definitely worth checking out - if it passes inspection they you've got a BARGAIN!!!

I can't speak for this car, but sometimes people get into financial binds. Nice cars are out there at bargain prices...

5. FERRARI DEMONIO

FERRARI DEMONIO Karting

Nov 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    JAMES
    Yes i bought the car for 35k and spent $4500 in cosmetic upgrades, the car runs great, its a clean title and have carfax. i recently replace the struts for front and rear hood, got the cover and replace the badges, also had the bottom skirts painted to match the car. had it check at a ferrari service. had it smoged and renewed the tags till 04/09. have to sell. I love the car and dont really want to sell and never planed in selling it but need the money. Im not a dealer and dont plan to profit from the car, i just know i got a good deal and i am not selling it for any other reason than work is slow and need to help family. have tons of pics if anyone interested. Thankyou.

6. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Is this car really that great of a price? 75k miles is practically unheard of with TRs and I personally think that $40k is probably market if not a bit high. I'm no expert though so maybe this is a stellar deal.

7. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Oy, here we go again. The mileage debate. Kerry? Jeff? Bueller?

8. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Jim's (Napolis) Testarossa was driven everyday. These cars (IMO) are no ninnies! If the PPI checks out, I dont see why one should be weary of this car. Probably a great 1st V12 for someone who's willing to jump on it, assuming the price is still negotiable!

9. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I am not inclined to listen to someone put down a high mileage TR unless they own one and can comment intelligently on the experience. Owning a low mileage 308 or other model and coming on this thread and putting down a TR with 75k miles isn't a qualifier. With that said, high mileage on any car is never going to help its value, no matter what kind of shape it is in. If the compression checks out and the suspension is still tight, this is a great driver for someone to enjoy.

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    The guy up the street from me has a 120,000 miles on his 89 TR and uses it almost daily. When I first met this guy and he told me this, I thought he was full of it. But I saw the car and the odo myself. Additionally, he went 7 years between majors. He said the car had very few issues along the way.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    75k is low milage anyway. This car appears to be one of the very few that the odo has not been tampered with. Thats only about 3500 miles a year guys. Thats low milage by anyones standard.

12. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

+1.

TR's make great daily drivers. I drove my '91 daily from July '04 until I sold it in October '05. Put 20k miles on it and enjoyed every one of em :cool: . JAYF is 100% right to check out the compression, the suspension, and do a leak down test, and if those check out ok, then this IS a great driver for someone to enjoy.

:)

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Nice honest answer.

Good luck with the sale.

I have 45K miles on my 91 TR. I drive it everyday even in the rain! :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

14. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

That is awesome :cool: !!! My '91 saw rain lots of times. It even saw light snow (only once), and I took it out in a hurricane once as well.

Drive on!!

15. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Whoaa fellas!
    By saying 75k mile TRs are practically unheard of isn't a put-down, it's just a fact. What percentage of TRs currently have 75k miles or more? A very, very low percentage. Does anyone disagree with that?
    As for value, what are 75k+ TRs bringing these days? I defer to the experts..........
    Man, what a testy bunch.

btw: my 308 has over 72k on the clock.

16. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Not sure about the rest of you, but I just don't see myself buying a Ferrari off the Craigslist. A car listed on Craigslist must have plenty of stories that I am afraid to find out.

17. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch

Why don't you go and check the car out for yourself??? Just because it is listed for sale on craigslist doesn't mean jack schitt!! Every car will speak for itself with an up close inspection, test drive, PPI (with a leak down & compression test), and a thorough kicking of all 4 tires.

Why do you say that a car listed for sale on craigslist "MUST HAVE PLENTY OF STORIES ..." ??? Would the same car listed on DuPont Registry not have those stories???

:rolleyes:

18. FERRARI DEMONIO

FERRARI DEMONIO Karting

Nov 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    JAMES
    people advertise in craiglist because its free and great exposure! i bought many things including my cannondale and trek bike and they are great. my car is also advertised at collectorcartrader and had to pay. most calls are from craigslist so you decide!!

19. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Cute.

I love puns - intentional or not.:D

20. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    #20 mksu19, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Maybe, but there have been some pretty good cars on Craig's list over the years as well. Sounds like your asleep at the wheel.

22. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    ...but I did just turn 66,666.66 on the odo yesterday! Still runs like a champ!

23. Godber

Godber Rookie

Mar 7, 2007
    Sheffield, England
    Full Name:
    Andrew Fletcher
    I'm chasing down 49k miles as we speak. Following the two trips to Le Mans this Summer and general hooning I expect to be about 54k later this year. I don't think I could own a Testarossa and not drive it? Its an itch that needs scratchin'....

24. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    You have your opinion and I have mine, this shouldn't be a hard concept to understand.

I have bought and sold many things off Craigslist as well but I have a few simple rules that I follow. You may have or you may not have as well, that's your choice. IMO, finding a right Ferrari without stories is hard enough as is and there is no need to make it more complicated. Take a look at this thread for a Lotus Espirit Turbo for sale for $5,800 on Portland's Craigslist : http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190104. And as recent as yesterday, I got an e-mail offer to buy an ECU from me but due to the buyer's urgent need and locational difficulty, he is willing to pay me more than what I asked for and will send me a Cashier's check via UPS this afternoon and have his MOVERS come by to pick it up for him. Movers !? This ECU weights ~0.5lb.

When a deal looks too good to be true, it often is.

25. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Good luck with your sale, lovely color, nice to see high milers maintained. :)