Appraise my car negative on Boxer - | FerrariChat

Appraise my car negative on Boxer -

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by James_Woods, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I added this reply to a thread about Keith Martin and his hostility to Ferrari values in the 355 section, thought a post in this section might be worth a look for the Boxer owners (who I am pretty sure will not like this very much)...

_________

I watched an "Appraise my car" last night on HDTV (it is a kind of 1080i version of Discovery Magazine). If this was the same Keith Martin as you mention (I am pretty sure it was), then I concur with you 100%.

They had a 512BBi on there with about 40K miles; it did show some wear to the seating leather and the engine compartment had not been detailed. Overall, I thought it looked about average or a little better.

They dissed it off as worth "only 60K to 75K max". They also pitched-a-b on the "fact that all BB cars were grey market and do not run right when Americanized with cat convertors". Further, Keith went on about how the bubble burst on these cars in the early 90s (at 200K or so), and they have fallen low and been static ever since...

Makes you wonder what they might have to say about my single mirror Testarossa, eh?

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Just another "self-proclaimed" expert who doesn't know squat, unless it's made right here in Amerika! He needs to go back under that rock he crawled out from underneath....I'm a buyer for Boxers at $70K all day long...even those injected ones hat need a little fixin' up....The phone lines are now open!

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Also the car has horrible fuel milage and the repair costs are high as well as insurance.
    I would recomend a Toyota Camry with an automatic. Ferrari red of course.
    ;)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    And when that episode was shot, about 3 years ago, that was a pretty decent estimate.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I spoke with Mike Sheehan earlier today and he said collector cars are all down about 10% over the last few weeks due to the economy...he called me inquiring on whether or not I still wanted to sell my BB512i...

6. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    So do you? I would probably be willing to trade you a pretty good Testarossa in that 60K range.

BTW - I did not know that this show was done 3 years ago, maybe they ought to put up a disclaimer in text while they are doing to valuation graphics if it really was that old.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods

9. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    went out in the garage and mentally flipped off Martin's opinion. Then I pinched myself and went inside with smile on my face!

BTW, I noticed the date on the show info stated 2007, but I don't know if that means it was actually shot then.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It might not have been 3 years ago, but it was quite a while ago. There was a thread about that episode a while back.

I looked at their website, and there is no easy way to figure out when the episodes were shot.

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well now - wouldn't that pretty much negate the public worth of presenting a show on "appraisal values" today?

I mean, it is supposed to reflect useful up-to-date information, yes or no? After all, its not like an old Jacques Pepin cooking show where you can still use the recipes perfectly well.

I have to say, too, that I was somewhat offended by the overall condescending tone of it all, hence the rant -

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's probably why they don't make it easy to figure out the date of the show!

13. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David

A rather good sign , do you think!

14. boxerboy

boxerboy Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    FYI, last time I heard, Martin owns a 308GT4. nothing wrong with that car, but it makes you wonder about his expert opinion on boxers.

15. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    He'd be the guy I would buy from when it comes time for me to get a 512bb. He sells them cheap!!! :D

EDIT: How anyone could say that about a "Clam shell", we'll never know. Mr. Expert must have a few screws loose!

16. gsm348

gsm348 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Keith's last two Ferrari were a silver-green '84 Mondial Cab and blue '80 308 GTS.

Does anybody own "Keith Martin's Guide on Collecting Ferrari"?