VIR TRACK DAY 31 MARCH | Page 2 | FerrariChat

VIR TRACK DAY 31 MARCH

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by resnow, Feb 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eclipse185

eclipse185 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    Who said I had any skills? I have plenty of bent up car parts (not any Ferrari) to argue with anyone that said I could drive. I guess we should check if passengers are even allowed for this event? Besides, "fast" is a relative term. I tend to define a lap as being "fast" if I scare the crap out of myself on a given lap, then I slow down to make sure it doesn't happen again.

2. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm hoping that I'll be there... will try to get registered today.

I can't wait! It'll be a lot of fun being out on Track when I should be at work! Doing the NASA event that friday/saturday/sunday as well... 4 days of straight track time... going to be fantastic!

3. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Anyone have a rough schedule for the event?

With 3 run groups, should I assume alternating 30 min. sessions from 8am-noon and then the same from 1-5pm?

4. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    schedule sounds about right with your normal lunch break. I believe you can have passengers as I told Daniel to take me around for a familiarization scouting. Also with 3 run groups I'd guess about 10 cars per group.

You guys don't need to worry about skill, the cars make up for alot of lack of skill these days hahaha

5. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    Uh oh, sounds like an accident waiting to happen!

But maybe I'm just an ASR-off snob...

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

MARK-- call me in the morning. I have PF R4S inbound just got tracking numbers. :)

7. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    The plan is 3 run groups, 20-minute sessions. There could be up to 15-20 per group but the standard FCA track events formula allows up to 40 cars for a track like VIR. There will be so much open space that even seeing other cars will be rare.

8. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey I'm a DSC off kinda guy too, but some people still need those aids hahaha.

Sounds good about the run groups Bob, and I'm sure there will be plenty of wide open spaces.

9. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    VIR is revamping their website and have added video. Here's a pretty good look at a lap on the full course (not in a Ferrari, however) for those who have never been or driven there:

http://tinyurl.com/3cucc2

If you really want to get into the details (and you should), check this out before coming:

http://tinyurl.com/365tdf

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    HOLY **** that car is fast!! hahaha

The other link is a good read too.

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

+1

Dayyyuuum!

12. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Go to the link for that video on you tube, it is a great story.

"Because of my disappointment with the power of the 426 motor, Dave had an old funny car crank we decided to use, by offset grinding it, giving us a 4.5 inch stroke and around 528 cubic inches. I always did all of the time consuming, tedious work on the Hemis and assembled them with Dave. He liked to use offset dowels to locate the heads accurately over the pistons and then he would cut the piston domes on a milling machine to fit closely into the heads. On all of our Hemis, there were always 4 or 5 pistons that were lightly touching the heads and valve pockets in the pistons with shiny circles where the valves were touching just enough to keep the carbon off. It took many hours of machine shop time to achieve this close fitting that Dave wanted. The engine also had to be trial assembled several times before it was ready for its final assembly. All of this work was done in my garage."

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    "Fast Phil" Currin, the driver of the 'Cuda in the video, won the GTO class in the second IMSA race at VIR in 1972 in a Corvette that he brought back and raced in the Gold Cup a few years ago. Phil is an experienced, confident and capable driver. Kids, don't try this at home! The acceleration curve on that car is completely insane, isn't it?

14. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    That is one fast Dodge!! Holy moly!

15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    #40 J. Salmon, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was there for that (historics at VIR last year) and took some pictures of that engine. The thing is as big as my Lotus! The car weighs 2900, but I swear that 1000 pounds of it must be the hemi. The sound was unreal, the speed was unreal. 172 mph on the back straight, but I am more impressed with breaking 100 mph between turns 2 and 3!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    Here are some more photos of the car:

http://www.glennbunch.com/album/airstrip/

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Those are 48IDA's. You can put a balled fist down in the venturis. Small children and animals can be sucked in! :) Takes a LOT of air and fuel to make that HP!

18. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause

Jay, I can do near that with 140 bhp in my sports racer (well, 98.6 mph, according to the data)! Nothing like purpose-built racing cars. :)

19. Europeanroadandracing

Europeanroadandracing South Carolina
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 19, 2003
    Isle of Palms, SC
    Full Name:
    Karl Troy

Now I understand. When I saw the laptimes I was amazed. I did times like that in the Ultima during the '06 One Lap so I can REALLY appreciate that car's potential.

Karl

20. byronn5

byronn5 Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    NC
    Full Name:
    Ross
    So how many are currently signed up?

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

But I heard somebody canceled, so we're down to 4,250,005.

(Actually, the number is probably about 35, IIRK)

22. eclipse185

eclipse185 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Statesville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rob Whitener
    How about 39, I am signing up four more tomorrow. If they will still have us.

23. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    As long as y'all can behave! :) :)

24. newmembersteve

newmembersteve Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    It was I who had to cancel. Now if I can get a refund check...

25. Cyclenirvana

Cyclenirvana Karting

Feb 4, 2006
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Ethan
    It's ashame 'cause your 360 is just dying to let it all hang out!! At least that's what she told me. Ha.