Thoughts on buying a new Ferrari... | FerrariChat

Thoughts on buying a new Ferrari...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by F355maniac, Mar 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    When one buys a new Ferrari, do they see it as a 'longterm' purchase?

The way I see it, it seems that once you get onto the 'new' Ferrari ladder, it could potentially turn into a long relationship with a dealer that, financially, suits both consumer and Ferrari.

I know it sounds stupid, but take this as an example:

I get on the list for a 599, take delivery in 2008 while the car is selling at premiums due to dealers being restricted to selling at MSRP. At the same time, I get my name down for a F149...

Which I will take delivery of early 2009, and trade/sell in the 599 at near list? At this point, you also put yourself down for the F142/430replacement

You repeat above process for the F142 coupe (due 2009?), spider(2010?), 612replacement(2011?), 599 replacement(2012?), scuderia version etc etc seeing as there has been some new Fcar out within every 1 to 2 years:

2001 - 360 Spider
    2002 - 575M
    2003 - Enzo and CS
    2004 - 612 Scag
    2005 - Superamerica & F430
    2006 - F430 Spider
    2007 - 599
    2008 - 430 Scuderia

Admittedly this does require you to have the initial capital to buy the car(s) but if you were to have the money, the only 'cost' is the loss of interest you'd gain by leaving it sat in your bank - surely that's a price worth paying to be able to enjoy some of the finest cars known to man? In addition to, of course, servicing/maintenance/fuel/insurance which you would be paying anyway whatever car (just to different degrees ;))

PS I am no pathetic speculator, I have never set foot in a F dealership, let alone order a Ferrari, mainly because I am still in school, so there are obviously assumptions I have made in what I have said above, mainly being the fact that it assumes you feel you *need* to have a new Fcar 'fix' as such, just for the different feeling. Obviously a CS is hardly something worth trading in after a year or two...
    *Dons flame suit*

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I know some people who do that and they actually dont order the car , rather the dealer orders it in the color combo they know will be easy to resell but at least the client gets on of the early cars of each new model. Its fine but im not sure you really ever enjoy a car that way.

3. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam

What he said. If you are scared of the depreciation, you cant really afford one in the first place IMO.

4. LittleBro

LittleBro Formula 3

Jul 7, 2004
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Woody
    Plus, I dont think ALL hold list anyway. Didn't the 575's and 612's tank as soon as they were delivered?

5. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R

This is commom practice unfortunately. The "chosen few" do get brand new F's and keep them for just a short while before selling at a small profit. I know one person who was allocated two early F430's, a coupe and a spider. He sold the coupe for £30k profit when it was just a week old.

6. F355maniac

F355maniac Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    UK
    LittleBro - i wouldn't be surprised at the 612 tanking as it is a 4-seater afterall... and i thought all V12s never really held up due to running costs and anyone with the money would want one specced as they want? And I'm guessing the 575 probably tanked as it was effectively a 550 facelift which not as many were interested in and people felt the 550 was better until the GTC/Fiorano package came along for the 575.

F328GTS - i see what you mean, but i'm saying instead of making a profit by selling straight away n being a general **** to real enthusiasts, you keep the car long enough, and enjoy it until you can trade it in again for what you paid meaning *relatively* lowcost Ferrari ownership - if there is such a thing!