Boxer black bits | FerrariChat

Boxer black bits

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by johnvwatts, Mar 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #1 johnvwatts, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Whats the view on shiny or satin/matt black bits? Just been out polishing the Boxer but have overpolished the carb air intakes and the black lower half of the car making them both shiny. This looks good but the satin / matt finish is more original. Any ideas how to loose the shiny effect without having to repaint? I've just used normal Autogylm polish but did use their paint restorer to try to get rid of some scratches (fine) which meant I then had to use the polish again as everything went dull.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think sun exposure is the only way to fade your black paint again, lol. My black is also a little glossy now since i wax the darn thing too much. No biggie, you got a great looking boxer and thats all that matters :)

Could you do me a favour? Could you measure the width of your clamshell from outer wheel lip to outer wheel lip please? I want to know just how much flare was added to the 512 over the 365.....Also, a close up of the buttress where it meets the tail panel, there are apparently some differences there as well in addition the the more obvious ones.

Thanks.

3. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    #3 johnvwatts, Mar 21, 2008
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks for the shots, ill go measure mine now. The buttress looks different from mine as well.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #5 Newman, Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting, 71" wide from flare to flare, doesnt look wider. The buttress looks rounded on the 365 . Ive read that the buttress met the lid differently on the 365 vs the 512 most likely from the "berlinetta boxer" book I have. If you look at the hip of the quarter where the crease from the buttress meets it, it looks like they added the meat there rather than just added to the flare. The flare would then just be moved out by the wider hip.