Dino Restoration | Page 89 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bureau13

bureau13 Rookie

Feb 3, 2008
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Smith
    Ha, I've done that a few times myself! Looking forward to more, its one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen. I must have a thing for blue...

jds

2. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Jon, I just wanted to chime in again on how amazing this car and the whole job of documenting it and posting it is! A complete inspiration. I would love to do a Dino now as well, if only I could afford it! ;)

If I ever do, I know who to call! :)

3. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    in Peru, but just got back, and the car is beyond amazing! The yellow lights are unique, and really make the blue sing. Is there a more striking car in existence?
    When and where is the Bella Italia??

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Sat. April 4th in San Diego. Should be 100+ cars (Ferraris, Lambos and Italian motorcycles.) No judging, just wash and shine.

5. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Jon,
    You are running too fast. Bella Italia is Saturday, April 5th. You have another day to play. See you there.
    John

6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    please find any excuse to post a bunch more photos!!! :)

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1
    I think the yellow headlights look great!

(PS - I did buy a set of yellow Carello headlights for my Blue Maserati Bora too, so I might be biased...)

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I 2nd that,but the pictures and car are just great I want to live in your house

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    We have 2 types of galleries up right now. "Engine and gearbox" and "Paint and body" albums have larger pictures with horizontal thumbnails. Please comment on which you guys prefer. The larger pictures will probably not work well with smaller resolution monitors.

10. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Obviously i prefer the larger pictures.... but with the thumbnails on the left it is slower to use as you have to move the mouse across, this is fine i guess if you are left handed..... is it possible for the site to give the option of putting the thumbnails to the right of the screen? Small point i know, which just goes to show that other than that it is so far perfect and extremely useful for those of us lagging behind in our restos!
    G P

11. Jastx

Jastx Rookie

Mar 25, 2004
    I have followed your progress from the beginning and it has been a thrill. Outstanding results, you must feel very proud of your and your son's accomplishment. You probably have permanent smile lines on your face!

A comment regarding the website for your "webmaster" -- on my 19-inch screen powered by my laptop at 1280 x 1024, I see only the left 1/3 of the thumbnail pics and have to scroll the selected picture to view its full height (the last 10% or so at the bottom).

John

12. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

Any more shots of the nice Bizzarrini in the background?

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The galleries should be fixed so everyone check them out to double check. Sorry, no pictures of the bizzarrini, couldn't get our eyes off a few ferrari race cars they had in the shop!

14. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #2215 omgjon, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We gave up on the correct carpet color and seat inserts so Autos International made the carpets and are doing the seat inserts. We glued the carpet in and as you see by the picture are on double time to finish for Bella Italia. The steering seemed light so we took 2 shims out of the steering rack out of a total of 5. It feels perfect now. We've put 135 miles on the car testing. Our rear brakes squeek, so thats our next thing to track down.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Jon,

my rear brakes were squeeking as well.. Seemed like the hand brake adjustment was not set correcly and they we "dragging" a little after a good run. I figured the squeeling was a result of the pads overhating due to the dragging. Make sure the hand brake cable is retracting all the way and that the HB mechanism on the calipers are releasing.

Hope this helps - Unfortunately I will be at Bella Italia only in spirit !!!

Cheers

Pietro

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I do some of my best car work after dining at del Taco as well...!!!

18. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yea we really went upscale today.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice shot with the black Dino in the background.

BTW, did you use a coating on the headers; ceramic perhaps? Who did it; jet hot, etc?
    Thank you.

Kind regards,

Scott

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Ceramic coating, done by Electro-Tech in San Marcos, CA.

21. judoug88

judoug88 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Jon,

I haven't been on F-chat in a while, mainly due to staying busy with school, but wow - the car looks great! The color, the silver brake calipers with the dino script! I'll be back in San Diego this summer, so hopefully I'll have the opportunity to see her in person (and maybe snap a few pictures). Your hard work really paid off, congrats!

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Time is running out to finish before Bella Italia. Our rear brakes squeal so we are changing brake pads today to see if that solves the problem. We put brake quiet on the back of our pads and greased some things but still squeal so going with some different ones. We resolved our brake problem. For some reason the plunger on the master cylinder was slightly out of round and was hanging up. New plunger solved that problem. Now just the squeal to fix today. We have a couple trim pieces to day and snaps for the carpetmats. The front batchboard and the SEATS. They are suppose to be ready next week (cutting it close). We've put 165 miles in testing and everything works and we have no leaks. I have to go to New Mexico Mon-Wed so I have only a couple more work days for Bella Italia and Friday is reserved for Jeff and I to detail everything. So I really have 3 days to finish all the little details.

23. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #2223 kiesan, Mar 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    I hope its better than Taco Hell!

Anyway, my vote for best thread ever goes to this one right here!

25. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Now wouldn't that be a GREAT thread, But I think he has a Lambo or two that could be done after the NEXT Dino...