Computer error question | FerrariChat

Computer error question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lil squid, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    #1 lil squid, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the second time this week I've gotten this variation of the 'blue screen of death'. This is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004. The first time I had trouble rebooting, Windows didn't want to boot up, and when it did it slowed down substantially (e.g. opening a new instance of Internet Explorer took forever); this time it booted right up after a hard shut down. I have not installed any new hardware, and only downloaded the new McAfee security center from Comcast. Time to call Dell? Ideas?

Sorry for a crappy picture, snapped it with my phone.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
  3. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I'd reload Windows in 'repair' mode, and all of your stuff SHOULD remain intact.

I've had this error before, but it's easier for me just to Fdisk and reload the entire machine, but other folks may not want to, or be able to, do that.

4. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    the "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR" part tells me that it might be an OS problem, or something else related to the OS [windows couldn't retrieve something from memory, bad blocks/sectors on the HD, etc] BSODs are usually a result of bad, or failing hardware, or unstable settings/voltages in the BIOS or OS.

scans, reg cleaning and a good chkdsk [maybe a fixboot/fixmbr as well] would probably fix it. otherwise, it's a hardware issue.

and back up your stuff now, in case that's the case.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Now what happens if you can't get past this screen? Time for a new hard drive?

Jim

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Err, no! - They're the result of running crappy Micro$oft S/W :)

[Sorry, couldn't resist.....]