frustrated | FerrariChat

frustrated

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by agc, Mar 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agc

agc Rookie

Feb 12, 2008
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Al Caccavale
    I have been thinking about my first ferrari purchase for three months. I had decided on a 355 for numerous reasons. I have spent many hours reading this forum as well as *********** and ***********. The information gleamed was excellent, thanks to all. So after driving several 355's and looking at DupontRegistry, cars.com, autotrader etc. I finally settle on a Rosso Barchetta GTS from FM of SanDiego. Call and find out the car is going to be wholesaled but is still available. I explain I would like to trade my 06 911S cab, and it describe it. I get an intial low ball figure which I had expected and am asked to send photos. I do that on Saturday, tell the salesman I would like to finalize this by Monday so that I can fly out in one week to see the car, I live in Arizona and work a 7 days on and 7 days off schedule. Salesman says ok, he will call back. He has said that twice before and never returned call. So I called this morning and left a message. Again no response. So I call this afternoon and he tells me he wholesaled the car! I guess they really didn't want the Porsche. I'm ok with that but wish he had just told me that! I tried calling the wholeseller, no response. I've purchased a lot of cars; Porsche, BMW and Jags. Never had this experience, really frustrating.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Car dealers don't want your trade at all. Unless it's a Ferrari Enzo, F40, or something pretty rare and exotic, FM San Diego is just going wholesale it out the same day -- they only keep Ferraris and Maseratis in the showroom.

You might have put a **refundable** hold deposit on the car to show your intent to buy. I did that with Ferrari of Denver when I was shopping - they had a 328. I wanted to make sure the car would be there when I flew out, and they held it as promised.

You might also give Jim Lyons a call (The Sports Car Company) and see if he knows about the car you missed -- Jim's the biggest Ferrari wholesaler in the country, based here in San Diego.

3. agc

agc Rookie

Feb 12, 2008
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Al Caccavale
    Thanks for the advice. I'll call Jim in the morning.

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    These guys are dealing with a lot more "dreamers" on the phone than with any other marque, I think it deadens a lot of the sales people to the stories they hear on the phone. Money and signatures count more than stories with many dealers. Good luck!

5. Way2Fun

Way2Fun Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris D.
    My experience has been similar, and I am not trading anything. Cash in pocket; ready to purchase a 360 and I can’t even get answers to questions like has the cam variators service campaign been taken care of. I’ve had this problem even with some F-chat members. They claim they have a car to sell, but they don’t follow up and eventually I just move on. There are plenty of cars on the market, and a lack of response makes me think the seller has something to hide. However, it really makes me wonder what some sellers are thinking. If you really want to sell a car, blowing people off is poor strategy.

6. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Sorry about your experience, mate. All I can say is that most people, on the way to realizing their dreams, hit a few decent bumps in the road. Don't let one salesman get in the way of you and your Ferrari (as much as possible;)), and I'm sure what's been said is probably right--they're just doing, for them, what is good business. And I'm sure they hear a lot of crap.

Keep on pressing!! It will come.

7. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

Maybe there is not as many cars out there or in the dealers hand as thought! just like the guys that have been looking for that full service full records variators done (MY99-MY2000) and all book and tools, that his broker told him 3 months ago, that he would be able to find and sell in him for under $140k...3 months there, 6 months on another...There is just not as many cars out there as thought!