360 crank firing order | FerrariChat

360 crank firing order

Discussion in '360/430' started by 900ssDuke, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
  2. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I don't have my manual to hand, but the firing order is in there. I will have access to it later if an answer hasn't already been given.

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    1-8-3-6-4-5-2-7

4. 900ssDuke

900ssDuke Karting

Sep 12, 2007
    UK
    ThanksDusky bird.
    I guess as a relative F new comer, it was interesting to see that the crank holds the con rods in 4 pairs, and then there are two pairs of crank positions 180 degrees out. Is there a more technical ferrari description for this?
    Is the mechanical timing on the pairs of pistons the same (albeit 360 deg out), even though they go into a seperate V banks.
    I guess Im just trying to suss out why my ferrari sounds so different from any other V8. They all have 8 cylinders, so Im just trying to understand how my F throws them up and down.

I had a Laverda jota 3 cyl bike a while back. They came with a 180 deg crank, where 2 pistons fired at the same time. They then took out a 120 deg crank, and the transformation was amazing (and dissapointing)

5. SpeedGeek

SpeedGeek Karting

Oct 10, 2006
    Jo'burg, S. Africa
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Luxury V8s use a cross-plane crank that requires counterweights on the crank for balance. Those weights achieve almost perfect balance and thus a very smooth engine. However, they also slow throttle response and engine revs. And the firing order is such that the exhaust headers are complex, making them large and slowing exhaust flow.

Ferrari (and others) use a flat-plane V8 instead. These use counterbalance shafts to achieve balance that is less perfect than the counterweighted cross-plane type. But the result is an engine with sharper throttle response and better ability to rev. And the exhaust headers are simple and compact. Better for race cars.

The cross-plane engine has the familiar American V8 burble. The flat-plane type has the racier sound you hear from Ferraris.

6. k4site

k4site Rookie

Oct 3, 2006
    I am not sure but with a flat-plane crank two cylinders fire at the same time.