599 Exhaust | FerrariChat

599 Exhaust

Discussion in '612/599' started by rberg32, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    Has anyone here put a different exhaust system on their 599? I have only found kits from Hamann, Novitec and Capristo.. I've had Capristo on my 430's and they sound incredible, but would like to get your opinion on anything else you may have heard or seen from any other company.

Thanks!

2. blockbuster

blockbuster Karting
    Owner

Nov 26, 2006
    U.S.
    I recently got an email newsletter from Ferrari saying that after market exhausts (even just cat back) will void the warranty. I am also interested in possibly putting a Capristo exhaust on my 599, but don't want to risk a warranty problem. Check with your local Ferrari dealer and maybe have them install whatever you decide to get so that they will stand behind it and not give you any warranty hassles ... BTW there is a good thread about the 599 Capristo exhaust that you can find with the Search function. It shows a dyno sheet claiming about a 10% improvement in horsepower. They may also now have the remote control valve system available. Has anyone got any experience with the remote control valve system that Capristo makes? It is supposed to allow the driver to set the rpm at which exhaust valves open.

3. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Here is a link to a video with the dyno run & HP gains. I do not think that there is any other system on the market at this time that is making this much HP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwMZ_Zk-FDg

I have the same news letter from Ferrari regarding aftermarket exhausts.

Just so you guys know Capristo systems are TUV rated in Europe which means they meet or exceed all OEM requirements. Many other exhaust systems are not TUV rated or approved.

That may not help in the USA with FNA, but at least you know that Capristo has spent the money for testing & approval.

There is a remote control unit avail for the muffler that allows the bypass valves to open at a specific rpm if you wish. If any of you want more info, give me a shout at 360 410 1949 or shoot me an e mail at [email protected]

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I've found the standard 599 Exhaust sounds fantastic :)

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    +1.

10% gain with exhaust is smoking crack unless turbo car. Didn't check vid, but done LOTS of exhausts over 30+ years.

Magnuson-Moss Act:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act
    Letter not worth paper written on. Need to show direct cause of failure to void warranty. Manufacturers love to try this. Not.

6. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    The standard exhaust does sound good.. however the tips are ugly and look like cheap rolled tin.
    In regards to the capristo remote, I had this on one of my 430's and loved the instant control of the valve.. I highly recommend it if you ever go with a Capristo setup.
    I have a call in with my dealer to see what the real deal is about voiding the warranty..

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I agree about tips, but metal polish helps. I drive hard, so inside tip looks like crap unless I work on it.
    The tips on the Tubi look like SNAP extractors from the old cars- a bit HTF and $$$ but I'd like 'em on the car. The HGTC tips were nice too on my SA. Aftermarket too loud if you use it hard, pisses people/police off.
    Dealer is NOT a good info source- Check SEMA : http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I really like the sound of the standard 599 setup.
    Another POV is X-OST. I put those on my Superamerica when its warranty expired and the sound transformed the car into something far more menacing sounding. The factory "Sport Exhaust" was a tad anemic and I enjoy the burble and popping of the new setup. I'm not sure that I would change the 599 though as it sounds just perfect, especially under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd.

Just to stir the pot a little - there is no current exhaust, factory or aftermarket, that comes anywhere close to replicating the sound that comes out of older cars. My 275GTB sounds absolutely wicked and it raises the hair on the back of my neck even under normal acceleration. The DB4GT is otherworldly. It sounds like an unmuffled race car (which I guess it is) and nothing modern compares even remotely to the visceral feelings those sounds engender!

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    +1.
    I haven't seen back of your 275, do you have SNAP's on it? Someone did/does repops. Had them on 2 cars I had. Best looking tailpipes ever.
    Colombo 12's are evil sounding, better than Daytona, 599s 512 and P4's not bad, but not street cars. Alfa 8C 2300 & 2900's nasty too. DB4's and Lampredi's great, T35B and SSK work too.

10. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It is much better than most stock exhausts but I feel it is too quiet.

11. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    #11 410SA, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
  13. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    Hi!
    If this reads like a spam sponsor post, then please PM me gentlemen and I'll desist immediately. It's intended as advisory and informative. I HATE spam posts so I am loathe to do them myself.

We've fitted quite a few Tubis to the Ferrari 599 here in the UK and have a little bit of experience as to why it may (or indeed may not) benefit from a sport exhaust. What is clear is that Ferrari have successfully, unlike the 550/575, engineered some kind of aural entertainment into the car. Stock, the car sounds well. It's not perfect but it sounds well compared to it's more modern V12 counterparts. Outright volume increases are not necessarily order of the day. However there is scope to improve though - Stock exhaust is quite quirky; you get a nice startup sound which then disappears, (valve operation) and you need to be giving it some to really hear those downshifts - to add to that the valve operated noise development is not linear. Most of customers reported this is a consistent bugbear. The sound could be a little fuller and deeper with respect tonal quality and you could do with a few more "effects" and for some owners a touch (or a LOT) more volume. It's all quite personal.

As a result there are quite a few options from Tubi so bear with me - you can have:
    1. moderate volume OR louder volume OR super-loud volume (straight through) with
    2. valved exhaust OR non-valved with
    3. classic tips OR propella tips OR propella race tips
    You can "spec" your system in any combination of those variables.

With that in mind we've had great success recommending the following combination - louder + non-valved + classic. (at Scuderia we're not **necessarily** fans of items that look overly aftermarket hence we like classic tips - system ought to be non-valved in our opinion it means you get more consistent less, switchable sound, and louder volume level to receive a discernible increase in cabin sound). Feedback has been very good. Nobody said it was too noisy! A few customers that were concerned that the overall volume level may become unacceptable opted for moderate + non-valve + classic. Largely they were happy too but I must confess a few wished they'd gone for the louder + non-valved + classic.
    Email me away [email protected] - if you have queries - we're the UK importers for tubi and an F-chat sponsor.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Switzerland
    there is also a possibility to install a switch to manipulate the valve from the original exhaust, i will try this and inform you later

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    You can put a rubber plug or screw in the vacuum line for the valve...I'll send you a diagram and parts for only 1200 E :)

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Switzerland
    Do you have sound experience with the permanent open valve? is it recommendable

17. Joe360

Joe360 Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Germany&Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Don't do it. It's too loud for Switzerland.

If you want to be able to manipulate the valves buy Capristo's remote control, it's cheaper and more practical than getting a switch installed.

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Switzerland
    Joe, I sent a Pm to you