GPS lap timer recommendation | FerrariChat

GPS lap timer recommendation

Discussion in 'F1' started by vm3, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    What GPS lap timers are available that do not rely on a track side transmitter?

Is there a convenient single unit device without cables connecting several pieces?

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Peter should chime in here.

I've got recent, but limited experience with Traqmate. Going to play with it in depth in a couple of weeks. For the casual user, it's a fantastic piece.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    I have Competition Data Systems units in two cars, they work well and CDS has been quite helpful.

4. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
  5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The Starlane's US distributor in NJ, yoyodyne, apparently does not stock this item, but it does look exactly like what you are looking for. Hardracing says with the track mapping feature and hardwired (recommended) it's about $685. If you just want the lap-timing feature, it's around $500. Pretty good deal, but with the mapping feature, you have to set the splits and there's no easy way to distill the information post-session.

The CDS, which recently added GPS functionality, is a very powerful tool, as is Stack, Motec and Pi Systems. These are well beyond what you need, it seems.

The Traqmate Basic Bundle ($739) is one unit (about the size of two cigarette packs) with a GPS antenna, period. You can place a lithium battery pack on it with velcro, velcro the unit to the floor, the side sill or the center console and place the GPS antenna (about the size of a 50 cent piece) in an area that has an unobstructed view of the sky and you have a complete, self-contained unit. It does not offer real-time display of lap times, you get that when you download the data. The software and updates (two to three times a year) are free.

The Traqmate Complete ($999) is two units, connected with one 6' detachable (at each end) cord, that consists of the same sensor unit as in the TBB (has the accelerometers, the GPS processing and the power supply integral) and the display unit (velcroed to the steering wheel, dash or instrument binnacle) that has the memory and displays not only lap times, but offers a predictive lap timer (you can see if you are ahead or behind of your best time during the lap, real-time), too. Of all of the systems out there, the software for the TM is the easiest to use.

There are others dash systems that incorporate beacon-less lap timing like AIM systems (also Italian) and Race Technology, but if you're going to go to the trouble of capturing lap times, I would want to know how, when and in what part of the lap I did those times! :)

Sounds like the Starlane is what you need, but this technology is changing fast and, as many people have found out, the hardware is only as good as the software that works with it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

6. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If all you want is lap times and you are runnign at sanctioned events you may want to look at the AIM system. They just reduced the price for the dash lap display to $300 and it works pretty well.
    Works in conjunction with your AIM system.
    Don't really need GPS for lap times unless you add the track map feature, which if you spend the cash you should really add to really look where you are losing time and gaining time. Great self teach tool.

7. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Thanks for the great info! I need a GPS system since some events support one transceiver system, and other events support a different system. The CDS products are sophisticated but too expensive for my needs. I ordered the Starlane and I will post my comments after using it.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  9. vdb

vdb Karting

Jun 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Virgil DiBiase
    I have a G2X Extreme Racepak. Actually have 2 of them. Best dash display on the market-for the price. About $900 or so. Easy to use software. Have one in my Radical and another in my Elise.

10. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    It requires a computer for displaying data.

11. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    It comes in several pieces connected by cables just like the Traqmate.