Cheaper Tools - Automotive Oscilloscopes | FerrariChat

Cheaper Tools - Automotive Oscilloscopes

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by No Doubt, Mar 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    If you are searching for a better tool than a multimeter to diagnose O2's and crank sensors and MAF signals, there are some cheap Oscopes on the market now. No more $2,000 scopes!

Anyway, I had no idea that scopes were this cheap now.

(I have no connection to this company or to the retailer - for informational purposes only)

Velleman PPS10 10MS/S PERSONAL POCKET SCOPE $110
    http://www.omnikits.com/phpstore/index.php?action=item&id=1669&prevaction=category&previd=featured&prevstart=

VELLEMAN HPS10 - PERSONAL SCOPE 10MS/s $120
    http://www.omnikits.com/phpstore/index.php?action=item&id=1380&prevaction=category&previd=featured&prevstart=

2. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I just bought an Actron 9190 scanner for $250. Does ODBI on USA cars as well. It allows you to display O2 sensors etc as well as read and clear codes. Does not do ABS and Airbag systems and doesn't work on pre 1996 imports. Cheapest one that would do ABS was $800. Liked the Auto Xray one as well but it needed a laptop and I didn't feel like lending out my laptop any time one of my friends wanted to use it.

Details below:

OBD I and OBD II enhanced and CAN scan tool CP9190 Trilingual Elite AutoScanner Pro offers DIYers and technicians the features they asked for. Upgraded features include the ability to read domestic enhanced codes, graph engine data, record and playback stored vehicle information, and the ability to print information through a PC. All this in a tool compatible with ALL 1996 and newer OBD II compliant vehicles as well as certain pre-1996 GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles. All Actron code readers and scan tools are CAN compliant.

Product Features

OBD II enhanced codes (1996 and newer domestic vehicles)
    DTC Lookup Services for further help

Graph data – (1996 and newer)

Multilingual menu and options – English, French, Spanish

Read, record & playback live sensor data

OBD I functionality – cables included for ’84-’95 Ford,
    ’84-’95 GM and ’89-’95 Chrysler vehicles

USB cable included for product updates

Updateable via the internet

Large, backlit, graphic LCD

Print data via Professional Companion CD

State OBD II check (emissions)

OBD II drive cycle mode

Battery powered for review of vehicle data off vehicle

OBD II code library built into tool

Vehicle information (includes VIN # and calibration IDs)

O2 monitor test

Diagnostic monitor test
    Performs the following tasks

Displays trouble code information and their definitions including
    OBD II domestic enhanced coverage

Displays MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) status

Reads, displays and erases generic, manufacturer specific and
    domestic enhanced Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in the PCM

Displays emissions readiness status (I/M Readiness Monitors)

Retain the most recently scanned vehicle’s data and configuration

Displays summary recap of the vehicle’s emissions status

Resets check engine light
    CP9190 Kit Includes

CP9190 Base Tool

OBD II Cable

GM OBD I ALDL Cable

Ford OBD I MCU/EEC-IV cable

Chrysler OBD I SCI Cable

USB cable

8-foot extension cable

Cigarette Lighter Adapter

Blow Molded Hard Case

Manual/CD

Registration Card

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    thanks no-doubt. I've got the ST-05 and I'm thinking of getting the new Launch X-431 for the non-exotic cars.

4. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    DIY'ers have progressed. Way back in the day we just had a test light (voltage or no voltage). Then we upgraded to multimeters (actual voltage levels, resistance measurements).

Now we can buy Oscopes for $120 that give us voltage signal waveforms (useful for seeing if a crank sensor is correctly detecting cam position)...something for which a multimeter or test light is comparitively useless.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    That is cheap.....single channel it looks like, but still I didn't know there was anything out there that cheap.

I've got a fluke 120 which in nicer, but a wee bit more expensive.......
    http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+120.htm?catalog_name=FlukeUnitedStates&Category=SCM(FlukeProducts)

6. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #6 No Doubt, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Flukes are such high quality...plus they have a better display screen and data line protection from stooges like me putting the electrical probe onto something that I'm not supposed to, and they may have a higher sampling rate, I'd guess. Anyway, the Fluke scopes are easily the choice for anyone in the business.

...but for a simple home DoItYourselfer, better to have a cheap $120 Oscope than no Oscope at all (since most DIY'ers aren't going to run out to spend $1,500 on a Fluke).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I would have gone for the $120 version too were it availbable a few years ago when I was shopping. I will say that having 2 channels and some storage has come in very handy (main and cam triggers on the screen at the same time), but over all saving money would have come in more handy :)

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Agreed; nevertheless I was kind of annoyed, when I purchased my Fluke Multimeter and saw, what was imprinted on the back. Made in China .... for that money.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

10. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    when an SD-1 or SD-2 systems text editor was either not appropriate and non-applicable(Marelli version logarithmic/speed density Fuel management...288/F-40), I've used a $9(nine!) dollar, analog, volt meter from radio shack... and a 2 channel, ANALOG-yes, guages with the needles-o-scope....Sanyo....as I recall...it was $100.00 at fry's electronics in 1985???
    I used lab stuff in the 1980s....so the cost was not really fair to compare...but you all are correct...

It is not the cost of the book,
    but the value of the information which lies there-in....

Sd-3s have 8 year "time bombs" in them from date of first power up...has anyone found a hack/mod to defeat this yet?
    $15-20,000.00 for a text editor which will be a doorstop in 8 years is just plain Rong....

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Just for some general clarity:

1. Multi-meters (voltmeters) measure voltage and resistance (some can also read current)
    2. Oscopes measure waves (oscillating voltage patterns)
    3. SD-2's and SD-3's are proprietary engine computer readers/programmers/testers
    4. OBD2 scanners are engine computer readers (some can clear error codes, too)

Each of the above are different. They are used for different purposes on different aspects of cars.

12. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Number four should be 4a and 4b. There are ODB2 code readers which just read the codes and maybe clear them and there are ODB2 Scanners which not only read the codes but also display live data from the different engine management sensors as well as PIDs and IM and other functions.

13. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    #13 eric355, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, 4b is so useful!
    Live data in a F355 ...

14. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Along the catagory of 4b: OT-1 from Innovate Motorsports. Just ordered it this week so I haven't played with it yet. An interface between the obd port and an laptop. Reads and resets codes and logs data on 60? parameters. Only $150 and the site is
    tuneyourengine.com

Probably play with it on my mercedes or truck. FWIW

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr