Major Service on 328. How Long? | FerrariChat

Major Service on 328. How Long?

Discussion in '308/328' started by wazie7262, Mar 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi guys,

for you non-DIY-ers out there, what is the typical length of time to get a Major done on your car, either at the dealer or independent shop? My car is in right now for its major and they had to order the parts from Ferrari, so they said. Obviously, I WANT MY FRICKIN' CAR!! LOL! I'm HOPING to get it late next week but, again, I was wondering what you fellers might have experienced.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The first time I had a major done on my 308, it took 3 months.

It is currently in the shop for the major. It is supposed to be ready today. It's been 3 weeks. It would have been ready earlier, but there was some additional work I am getting done.

Dom

3. fastjon

fastjon Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Mechanics have all told me it takes a min. 40 hours labor. Parts can take up two weeks to be delivered. But here is the rub a work week has really 40 hours in it, they got to answer phones, talk to clients (how many times can you read a post how nice the mechanic is and is willing to explain everything, that is time away from working on everybodies car), and also remain focus. The remaining focus is the toughest part of human nature, without breaking up the day among several things the mind may not work as effectively. I am discovering that working on a non-car big project. So mechanics figure two weeks so that they can break up the day, really count that as at least three. And don't rush them because mistakes will come in. Believe it or not they don't want to hang on to your car forever, just what seems like forever.

Good luck, my major and clutch and brakes and tires took i think 6 weeks.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The major service for my 308 GTB was billed at 22 hours. In addition to the major, I had the steering rack and clutch rebuilt and changed all suspension bushings and the front shocks. My car spent two weeks at the shop.

The total labor charged for the major service, which included rebuilding the water pump, was billed conservatively in deference to the additional work performed.

5. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    An independent shop took 2 weeks to do the last major on my 328. They had to wait a week to get some oddball part after they got the car apart.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think my car was in the shop for about three weeks in 2006 when the major service and other things were done.
    BT

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Its strange - I've had Ferrari mechanics take six months to perform 90 billable hours of labor on my car. I've had mechanics take 3 weeks to perform two days of work...I had a guy spend over a month to bench-test my water pump, then forget to tell me that he's done. Mechanics are generally pretty terrible about getting it done and 'out-the-door' in a timely fashion....cars are typically rotated around - ever check-out an Indie/Exotics shop? A couple of guys working maybe a dozen or so cars simultaneously.....the work/attention is spread very thin, but that's the way they like it - a steady stream of work that doesn't lapse. The shop keeps its people gainfully employed, while you wait months to get your car back....not exactly fair to you, but that's the business.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    In my old shop, after doing three dozen 328 30K majors over ten years, we averaged about a week to ten days.

We always ordered what we thought we needed when the car was scheduled and got on it right away so there were no surprises...

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For the recent major on my 308, the car was in the shop a month, but I had other repairs done, extra interior and engine compartment detailing, and a new tubi installed, on top of the standard major.

Quoted cost for the standard major was a hair short of $5K, and elective replacement of old hoses, etc., got it up to about $5.4K.

At Norwood, they include an excellent standard inside/out detail job with a major.

My take on the time involved: A Ferrari is not the same as a Toyota...you don't just bring it in at 8AM and get it back at 5PM, but then there are reasonable time frames as well.

Considering the amount of business Norwood Performance does (lots), and the quality of their work and customer service (top on both), a month was very reasonable.

10. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    ah yes, the old "it'll take two weeks but then it takes 4" bait and switch routine

they should have had the parts before they even started the job

sorry for your woes.....but it sounds like it's going to be awhile

11. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
  12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mine was in for just over 2 weeks, and that included pulling off the front bumper and fixing some 'road wear' in the paint shop. The key, as mentioned earlier, is to order the usual parts, the ones you know you're going to need, in advance. The 'waiting for parts' story doesn't fly unless there are surprises after you get there.

13. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, guys. I'll just have to be patient and hope that the parts arrive sooner rather than later

14. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine took about 5 days as I recall.....

15. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    I took my 348 to Eugenio. Took him 3 weeks exactly. Started the day it was dropped off, and was delivered on the exact day predicted.

He had the parts in hand before I even got there.

Worth the wait. Better to get in line now than get in line later. :)

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Mine took 2 months for a major, new clutch, and aircon in a F dealership in 2006.

17. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    Just had a complete major done @ Brian Crall's in San Ramon (EXCELLENT shop);
    + new wheel bearing + minor paint work + all new hoses took 2 1/2 weeks.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ditto.

If they have the usual major service parts in stock, and your car isn't sitting around waiting its turn, that sounds right. Mine took a couple of weeks last time, but it was busy season and I'm sure the work was interrupted a few times.