Price check on a museum quality 328 | FerrariChat

Price check on a museum quality 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by topcarbon, Mar 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    ****This is not a solicitation to sell****

My friend will be selling his museum quality 328 with 3000 miles on it. I think its a 1987.
    This car is perfect, and he needs some giudence as to an appropriate price to sell, not to have it sit.
    This does not mean he wants to blow it out, but a fair sale for both parties.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's a black/black '89 with ~300 miles on it. I think the last asking on that was ~$90K. Probably $75K would sell it in short order, with an asking price slightly north of that.

Is it a rare color combo or option (e.g. full Schedoni interior)?

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow! That's some pretty dang low miles - Major Service comes to mind... but I'm sure the
    interior must be amazing. But to say 'not have it sit' - it's done a LOT of that!! Too bad,
    really. Just from my somewhat limited experience (having shopped for 328s for 1 year), I
    would say $80K to $85K is probably realistic. But NOT for a 'driver' - with such low mileage
    I would be afraid to pay that much, knowing it surely needs a LOT of very expensive engine
    and suspension work. 143 miles per year???? Ouch. Talk about a garage queen...

Dave

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    to say this car is perfect, would do it injustice.

It is a GTB which makes it that much more special.

Not a rare combination, red over tan.

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agreed there - no question!!

No, but pretty darn desirable...

Dave

6. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Drop a note to Michael Sheehan. Maybe he has someone looking for a 328 to mothball. I'd be too tempted to drive it, lol.

7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    the current owner drives it every now and again. He is tempted too.

8. surfermark

surfermark Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Mill Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Funny you mention the 300 mile black/black Bullfighter.....I was in serious negotiations with the owner of the 300 mile black/black 328 about 1.5 years ago....The owner changed his mind and kept it....which was fine actually as I was moving to Hong Kong at the time. I just heard from him a few weeks ago and he wanted to know if I was still interested in buying it as he is now ready to part with it. I am thinking about picking it up...it is an awesome 328....I will let "The Syndicate" know if and when I buy.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Why would you need to do a major service?

You can't drive the car. If you do it goes from $90,000 to $45,000 with miles on it so driving it is completely out... Belts are fine forever on a car that sits all day.

Or you could unplug the speedo sensor

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Huge difference between 300 miles and 3000 miles as far as value goes. I think an 87 with 3K would sell in the 60's. An 89 in the 70's. Do you have the VIN#?

DAve

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The most I have ever seen a 328 offered for -- and I believe it had about 250 miles on it -- was $87,000 about 2 years ago.

12. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    everynow (years in between) again.lol

13. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Exactly- service is a non-issue when you are talking about old cars with really low miles. It's more like art at that point. Kind of like to Enzo with the original sticker and never titled. Or the 288 GTO with less than 150 kilometers. Both are here in Atlanta and are works of art. Of course both of those have been serviced every year and these 328's may have been too. You can't just assume since they didn't drive it, that they ignored it.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree. I find the whole notion of buying cars to preserve the odometer pretty ludicrous. If there's one thing that bugs me about Ferraris, it's that.

For $45,000, you could rebuild the engine and gearbox on a 'normal mileage' 328 a couple of times and have money for lunch.

15. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    When he officially lists the car, the vin will be disclosed.

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Any 328 going in an actual museum should be red and tan. Anything else is like Babe Ruth wearing a Red Sox cap in the Hall Of Fame.

Ken

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Let us leave red Ferrari 328s to men with no imagination." -- Proust*

* Noted Ferrari mechanic Luigi Proust

18. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Obviously, when the car was last serviced is an important issue. But one can't just assume that a car with low mileage has not been recently serviced. You'd have to get that info from the owner. My '89 currently has 2,605 miles, but it and a major with belts hoses, etc. 2 years ago.

Although Topcarbon mentioned its a B "which makes it that much more special", the Bs have yet to show any real increase in price over the S. However, I suppose if you found the right buyer (someone who is determined to own a B) they might be willing to pay a bit more for it, but maybe not.

I know that in the past year a fellow Fchatter sold a red/tan 89 GTS, that had been recently serviced and had around 7,500 miles for something around $70-75K.

Best regards,
    Dino

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's telling him, Luigi!

Jon,

You've no doubt seen the motion picture "Grand Prix." Proust's (Marcel, that is) quote was was no doubt the basis for Jean-Pierre Sarti's (Yves Montand) bit of philosophy:

"The danger? Well, of course. But you are missing a very important point. I think if any of us imagined - really imagined - what it would be like to go into a tree at 150 miles per hour we would probably never get into the cars at all, none of us. So it has always seemed to me that to do something very dangerous requires a certain absence of imagination."

Either Sarti read Proust or Luigi was in Sarti's pit crew.

20. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    dude, this is the best way to enjoy the car...buy it and it drive it down....do the full serve and go....its nuts for buying at 50 and sitting in a garage fixing one thing after another, you end up to 90 anyways ;)....pay me now, or pay me later :D:D:D
    at least all the stone chips and scarapes will be your own ;)

21. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks

i thought the bambino did play for the sox.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Ferrari 328's came in yellow too.

Ken

23. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Soooo true! Please everybody, drive your car!

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    True, but we're talking a museum. You know, popular perceptions of an icon. Not aesthetics.

Ken

25. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    focus...people.