For that ridiculous do you drive your Ferrari in the Rain Thread | FerrariChat

For that ridiculous do you drive your Ferrari in the Rain Thread

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    no,I never drive it in the rain or on wet roads

2. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    the reason i don't drive in the rain isn't that the car can't handle it, my worry is the nitwits that run around here in jacked up pickups and suvs can't see me.

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I got that up here in northern california too! I get out on the highway and along comes a 4x4 so high up its stupid looking and I wornder also when he moves from one lane to the other and I lay on the horn as for the wet roads I don't want pits or mud under the car because its spotless like the first day it left the factory

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I drove back from this past weekend's Georgia Tech car show in the rain, and we passed a customized blue Lexus that had backed into the wall bordering the right side of I-75. I recognized the car, because it had been at the show as well! Oddly, this was on a straight, flat stretch of highway, so it's puzzling what put him into the wall. (Driver brain fade or excessive speed, I'd guess.) I just kept serenely on in the Ferrari, at a reasonable speed.....

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    so is that 70's or was it 80's jacked up red kneck truck craze on the way back...?

6. Grumpy B

Grumpy B Karting

May 31, 2005
    South Bay
    Full Name:
    Don
    #7 Grumpy B, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    it never left down here. yee hah..

8. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    That's it, I have rust enlarged drain holes in the drivers door that you could drop a silver dollar through

No rustproofing = no driving in the rain.

Now, if you have a realy well heated garage and you can heat up the car to the point that it will evaporate all of the rain out of it, that might help.

I am not obsessive about it but if i need to drive the car to something important, i will. I just try not to make a practice of it.

It rains a lot up here, roughly 50 inches a year, so i chose goodyear F1s and am really happy with them, particularly in the rain. As always, it is good to kep the lights on and give others a wide safety margine, (distance). This is possible up here in humbug county, with a population of 120k for the whole county. bad roads but fun and scenic.

drive it if you can,
    chris

9. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I drive mine in the rain as long as I can keep moving... its when you have to sit in traffic that problems start.... electrics get really wet, the rubber seals to the cabin start to leak etc... to me that is the problem. Big deep puddles in Atlanta are also a problem... brakes get really wet, everything stays wet for ever... if you are out on the open high way... no problem, no matter how heavy the rain. I've driven both my 308 and 328 in heavy rain... the 308 leaked really bad if you had to come to a stand still.. the 328 is not as bad, but eventually it will start to leak from the top of the drivers side window... its just not comfortable then. De misting can be an issues on super humid days too...

11. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    I own only one car, 07 430 Spider. Drive it 1500 miles a month, rain or shine, and drive it everywhere. It will not melt, rust, skid off of the road, and is not allergic to being washed!

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I keep my car bone dry. It gets wet twice a year for claying/waxing. I guess I view it as a long-term keeper (even if it won't be mine forever).

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #14 SonomaRik, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I agree with that. But, I got caught by a sudden downpour in the Testarossa on the way from my office to Norwood's this past winter and the wipers, defroster, tires, etc. were all very effective in the rain - not at all the barely working specialty car thing you might suspect. I will not be doing that again, however - I fear for rust under the car.

The Norwood guys were almost incredulous that I actually drove it in that day, but I did have an appointment.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There is that much more excitement when the road is wet. I love it.

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You are right, and just for everyones incidental pleasure, I did get it to spin both rear tires and get a little sideways - that diff really does hook up about as hard as anything I have ever owned.

Scared to do that on dry pavement, of course.

17. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    I gladly drive my Lotus in the rain, but keeping grip on the road is a little difficult at speed. At <2000 pounds, it's like it wants to float! And yes, the 4X4 pickups on raised suspension/tyres that blast 90mph in a downpour scare me.

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    No reason not to drive the Ferrari in the rain................not that we have much rain over here.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Hate to say it, but there's an automated car wash (and has been for over twenty years) at the Factory... :)

20. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Exact same thing happened to me this week. I had scheduled the yearly fluid change and a check of the A/C system on the TR. Monday broke with constant rain and drizzle. I had an appointment and obligation to a local independent shop. I kept the appointment and learned that the TR does great in the rain, to boot.

Of course my neighbors looked at me funny as I was washing the car later that day in a light rain shower. I will drive her in the rain but won't put her away that dirty.

Oh yeah, and I turned over 30K miles this week. I guess between that and driving it in the rain I should just part it out...

21. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    LOL :) I think I crested 35K this week. And to think I bought her two years ago at 19K!

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yeah, but it's Ferrari factory water. There's a difference.

23. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    I never drive mine in the rain. I never subject it to water. I take it to the drycleaners when I want the paint job clean. Rain + pre-84 Ferrari = the devil.

Andrew

p.s. I was kidding about the drycleaners part.

24. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic