My 328 battery goes flat | FerrariChat

My 328 battery goes flat

Discussion in '308/328' started by roalda, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Hi anyone please help me, i have a 328 gts euro spec which keeps dischargeing, is this a common problem or is mine the only one?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's a fairly common problem when other electric devices have been added -- either poorly or you a lot of them. You don't mention the timeframe required to discharge, but the two things that you should do (after getting the battery recharged) are:

1. measure the DC voltage between the battery posts when the engine is running at ~2K RPM -- should be in the low 13 VDC minimum (if not , bad sign for the alternator), and

2. unhook one battery cable and insert an ammeter in series with the battery and measure the current draw with the key "off" -- anything more than 75~100 mA would need investigation (or explanation).

3. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Hi it takes about a week to run flat, had it tested at my local garage, test read ok for the alternator and failed on the battery so fitted a new one 2 weeks ago still not right. Then cleaned as many earth points as i could find still no luck.
    One thing i did notice was there is a live feed from the battery to the starter motor which has a connector 2/3rds the way along. The cable has rubbed on a drain off nut for the fuel tank, i have tapped up the cable and put a rubber grommet over the nut.

4. jimveres

jimveres Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    I had the same problem when I got my 328. I found the problem by connecting a ammeter in series with the Battery Ground Disconnect cable and disabling things one by one. The culprit on my 328 was a motion detector on the after market alarm. I disconnected it to solve the battery drain issue and also because it would go off when people stood next to the car (not touching it). I found the alarm going off in that case to be pretty rude. I left the door and movement sensors intact.

Good luck hooking up a meter and chasing the drain.

5. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I had an imobilizer fitted last year also a radio.

6. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I assume its still draining after you put this grommet over the rubbed area? You're on the right track I think since in my experience w.other vehicles this is usually caused - assuming other likely culprits have been eliminated (alt, batt, etc) - by a short somewhere that slowly drains the battery.

One thing you can do until you work it out and to prevent your batt from continually draining, and generally a good idea for extended idle periods, is to disconnect the (name escapes me) big red plastic connector located under the bonnet; it's to the left of the spare, behind the rad and fan. It points straight down and you simply pull it straight up.

Alarms and other aftermarket electronic-related installation often are done by folks unfamiliar w.328s' electronuances who often create e-gremlins.

7. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Yes it still loses charge. I know the the red thing you speak of, ferrari call it a battery switch.

8. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    The car has spent most of its life in storage and had many new batteries and even an alternator rebuild for a short circuit. It has only covered 1700 miles from new. Maybe a fault from new?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Definitely a sign (for a fresh, fully-charged battery) that the "off" current draw is much too high (like something greater than 100~150 mA). Don't know if your alarm and radio are improperly installed, or if that's just the current that they have to have when "off", but you should measure and look into it deeper (e.g., maybe in the manuals they might mention what the current draw will be when "off"). Otherwise, you've got no choice but to install a battery tender if you want to extend the non-use period.

10. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Do you leave the key in the ignition during storage? Guilty, I do to deter breakage from hot-wire artists. I discovered the practice of pulling the key back to the first detent while in off position saved me from yearly replacing batteries. As reminents of the seatbelt-key reminder circuit may still linger, drawing current, even after the buzzer has been vascectomizied by the PO, sufficiently to drain a battery in 2 weeks enough to prevent a crucial restart at showoff time. Enzo said "pull it out when your done having your fun - but keep it close by."

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is the alarm or one of the sensors, read jimveres post. A local f tech told me he hates aftermarket alarms for this reason.

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    My 308 has neither a fancy stereo nor an alarm system of any kind....yet still 'drains' the battery if left to do so. As other 308/328 owners have attested to, the age of these cars somehow contributes to the problem - in what way, exactly, is never fully explored. All that runs in my car is the stock factory clock in the center console.....

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Doesn't mean that you can't have some other flaw (like a door light that's not going out as it should when the door is closed). If you only have a stock clock, your "off" current draw should be less than 50 mA -- what does yours measure, and what is your non-use time to discharge so it won't start?

14. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Thanks for your help guys i have not got a volt meter at the moment, the car is takeing about a week to discharge, i have had a problem with the door light it wont come on unless you give it tap after the door is opened. I never leave the key in the ignition and i dont think the euro model has a seatbelt sensor, have put the battery on charge again!!!

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #15 yelcab, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    If your battery is discharging in a week with the quick disconnect for the ground disconnected then it has to be a problem with the battery. "Mild" internal short discharging the battery is the only thing I can think of. Of course that's assuming the charging system is giving it a full charge when the battery is connected.

17. roalda

roalda Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2007
    Wiltshire England
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Sorry to confuse the car is dischargeing with the earth intact.