How many have gone through more than one major service? | FerrariChat

How many have gone through more than one major service?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dom, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Just curious, how many of you have gone through the major service on your 3x8 more than once?

I just recently completed my 2nd major service, approx 5 years and 15,000 miles after the first service. Whew, that's a whole lot of cash. But well worth the money, IMHO.

Dom

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Dom,

I had a comprehensive major service done for my 308 4 years ago. In addition, the clutch and steering rack were rebuilt, shocks were replaced and all suspension bushings were changed. Shift shaft seals were replaced with "Quad Rings." Since then, I've put ~10,000 miles on the car. The car has not leaked any oil since the major service.

I'll do a "modified" major service this spring changing the belts, tensioners and fluids as I've started tracking the car.

Barry

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Wow, are me and Barry the only ones who've had their 308's long enough for multiple Major Services?

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Mine really doesn't count, but had a major done about 3 years ago.
    1K miles later the lower bearings went.
    essentially a major was needed again.
    $$$ :(

But with 71K on the odo, she's comming up for another major mighty fast.

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Dom, you were inculcated early with the proper approach! :)

Seriously, I had many, many folks in 3x8 and TR's in for multiple services. The people that drive them, anyway...

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- why anyone would let time be the determining factor, rather than miles driven, always baffles me ;)

Did 2 majors myself on my ex-308 (when purchased and after driving 30K miles) and sold it needing a 3rd (after 60K miles total driven)

1 major done on the TR, and it's getting due for it's second (but will probably sell it in that condition and move on to the next victim ;)).

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Highly interesting; I assume, you are talking about the lower camshaft drive ? If yes; I experienced exactly the same, though 10 years ago. I suspect, that new, freshly tensioned cambelts give the rest to any weak lower bearings.

Last year I did my 3rd DIY major service on my 308 GTB.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Do multiple cars count?

Did one on the Azzurro '89 GTS when I first got it and another one on my first black '87 GTS. Since then, I haven't had the cars long enough to do one.

9. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Hmmmm at least 5 since 1987, also I did belts & valve adjust once a year when I daily drove & tracked it 8 to 10 times a years from 87 to 91

10. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Yep. Lower bearings. I've heard of this syndrome before. And not just on 308s.

11. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I had it done when I first got the car (around 22,000 miles), and then again about 13 years and 30,000 miles later...

The car now has around 65,000 miles on the odometer.