348TS or 355 GTS - What do I do? | FerrariChat

348TS or 355 GTS - What do I do?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Husker, Apr 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #1 Husker, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK brothers...

I'm looking at a 355 GTS. It needs a little rehabbing.

But if I get it, I have to give up my 348 :(

I have sought the counsel of one F-chatter in particular - 8SNAKE - who has given me some great insight.

1. WHEN I BOIL IT ALL DOWN, THE ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE ABOUT MY 348 IS THE TAILLIGHT TREATMENT.

2. I AM WONDERING IF THE 355GTS MIGHT ACTUALLY BE A DECENT "INVESTMENT" CAR DUE TO ITS RARITY.

So...here are my 3 choices:

1. Keep the 348 and the current taillight treatment.
    2. Keep the 348 and do a correct challenge grill similar to Albert328 did, at the tune of $3500.
    3. Buy the 355GTS, rehab it, and enjoy it.

Here, again, is my 348:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Keyword is dont like tail light arrangement.

Get the 355..........(especially the GTS)
    The only reason I bought a spider is that we have 6 nice days in Ohio, and i wanted to enjoy them fully :)

You will be a happy camper................I am!!

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'd say go for the 355. It would be a good to read your thoughts on the comparison. I think the 355 GTS will hold its value better than the GTB, but the spiders are currently the most underpriced of the 355 line. The one that just sold on Fleabay for $50k was a steal!
    :)
    BT

4. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    if you don't like the 348 lights, get the 355. Even alberts conversion which is the best I've seen is not as pulled together visually as the 355s since it is missing the lip spoiler on the deck lid and rear fenders which makes a big difference visually.

Its funny I used to think the same about my 348 (everything great but the lights) but now I really like the lights as well...

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

When I'm driving, I can't see the tail lights. Problem solved.

6. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    yes. You can also park it rear side in so you just see the front getting into it :)

7. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just recently bought a 355 spider, still have my 348 spider as well. I will comment the 348 is a hell of a lot easier to work on! No OBDII to contend with, no Ferrari Immobilizer etc.
    Regarding "investment" quality unless bad is in the sentence I don't see it. People keep insisting the GTS is rare. Ferrari produced 2577 GTS 355's. If that qualifies as rare and investment grade I should make a killing selling my 348 spider. Only a bit over 1000 produced!
    Cannot comment on driving differences, long winter finally coming to a close here in MA.
    Can't go wrong with either from my perspective!
    Nice 348!

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    348 or 355??? Let me think about that for less than a NANOSECOND-------------------355!!!!!!!!!

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Step 1: Ditch the 348 & get a 348 Spider.

Step 2: Convert the tail lights.

Step 3: Drive it!!!

10. rcm360

rcm360 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Reese
    I would probably keep the 348 if the 355 needs work. This can get very expensive and if you are looking for the "investment" position on the car then it needs to be factory spec. or close to spec. (my opinion) If you make the move to a 355 GTS, buy one that is fresh and original, it will cost you less in the long run. Good luck!

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Famous last words. :)

12. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Get a 355GTS ............. you get more than just better tail lights............ :rolleyes:

80 more HP
    6 speed GB
    underbody aerodynamics
    better front spoiler clearance
    cheaper front fog lights... :eek:
    overall better looks
    'factory' 355 wheels..... ;)
    free susbscription to hair gel quarterly
    and that famous F1 sound !!!!!

Its really a no brainer ............. :D!!!

13. lucky73

lucky73 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2008
    your current car is a known evil or known saint, a new car has so many unknowns

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Guys...I'm keeping my 348. But don't be surprised to see me sporting an Albert328 challenge grill soon and don't start hazing me for doing it. :)

15. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Post pics of that grill you speak of...... :)

16. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    348 or 355... That's a nice problem to have, isn't it? :)

According to the raw numbers, there are a lot of 355GTS's out there (apologies again to the extraneous-apostrophe-ites :)). Over the last 6 months or so, it seems around 90% are Spiders, 8-9% are Berlinettas, and perhaps 1-2% are GTS's. People want to keep their GTS's, so I feel they are the ones to have from a resale standpoint, IMO.

It's certain you'll have more (probably a LOT more) in your GTS + Rehab than what you'll get for your 348. Will you get the increased investment back for the GTS when the time comes to sell?... you haven't provided enough info for people to comment on that. Will you be happy with the increased complexity of the GTS, power steering, etc?... only you can make that decision.

If your only concern is really the rear lights of the 348, I'd say keep it and change the lights! :)

17. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Enjoy her in good health. You've definitely got a fanstastic 348!

18. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    I was delayed in completing my last note, so am Glad to hear you're keeping the 348!! :cool:

19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    BTW, I want to thank 8SNAKE for going out of his way to go by and look at the car. It's in Springfield MO. If someone is looking for a 355GTS, SNAKE has looked it over. I personally think it would be a great buy for someone.

SNAKE, i think that there's an old saying that the only good snake is a dead snake, but you're a GOOD snake!

THANKS AGAIN!

20. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #20 Husker, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. speedtrapp

speedtrapp Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    i love that look im in ---- how and where did he get that done? I would be very interested in any information on the install.

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I've been talking to Albert via email. He had a body shop in SOCAL fit a 355 challenge to his car. But it ain't cheap! I think Albert told me $3500 total, including all parts.

23. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You're quite welcome, and the pleasure was all mine.

As Husker mentioned, I have personally seen this car. If anyone has questions, I will answer them to the best of my ability.

24. speedtrapp

speedtrapp Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I like yourself dont care for the rear lights on my 348. Everything else about the car is wonderful. My car is an SS so the argument made by many that the tail light treatment complements the side strakes is a non issue because there arent any on this model. I think the round tail lights look better on the car. I have searched but there is one mfg. of a round tail light treatment and like that car this one is around 2K. With all of us on this site why cant we come up with our own idea on this issue. Any ideas guys........

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Very cool mate! :):)

Your 348 is gorgeous!! I wouldnt consider selling it, just to have the 355 rear tail lights. :D:D

Fit them to this 348 and you are laughing. ;);)