81 308 GTSi Driving Lights Install. | FerrariChat

81 308 GTSi Driving Lights Install.

Discussion in '308/328' started by mwr4440, Apr 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Guys,

As many of you know my car is in a bunch of pieces being rebuilt, interior, dash, etc. BTW the answer is "NO, not yet." I was going to work on my tranny this weekend and get it back into gear after bushing replacement but the forecast is for VERY cold weather (my dream garage has NO heat or light (Brrrrrrrr!)) so that is out. Maybe the NEXT weekend.

Well, I hate the headlights when they come up while activated and driving near dusk or at night but I obviously need headlights on when driving in low-light conditions. They really restrict my view and I think they steal major "cool-points" from the car. :) I am not going to, just "Use the force" as a friend of mine suggested either.

I was thinking of putting some rectangular "headlights" behind the grill as driving lights and use the rear window defroster switch as the on/off switch for those lights. These cars don't need rear window defrosters as any owner knows. Actually they have one.... its called "the engine." I would then just turn on the running lights on the steering rack stalk w/o turning the headlight switch to "on" leaving the real headlights dormant.

Any suggestions on wiring possibilities and makes of lights to use would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about car electrical wiring so all help, even at the Electrical 101 level, is highly appreciated. Martin308 give me some good ideas (THANX Martin!!) but I would like to canvas the group and see what other ideas might be out there.

I would like to do this little project while the interior and center tunnel are out being re-leathered. The only unbreakable rule is: I will not make any permanent changes to the car (i.e.: I will not cut the front grill to fit the extra lights, for example).

Thanx in Advance.

mwr4440

2. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    #2 bobs308, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Would something like this work? $20.00 from WalMart for the lights, $5.00 from home depot for a 1/2" flat bar to make a couple of "L" brackets to bolt to the back of the bumber bracket. No Mods. Wire switch to empty terminal on fuse block.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I love it.

BTW I wouldn't go one more click up on that lift!

4. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Man you're mean...

5. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Where did you locate the switch?

6. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    I put the switch under the dash about 2" to the passenger side of the steering wheel. There was a hole there for some reason. The switch and wiring came with the lights. I used the fog lights because I didn't think I would drive with just those lights, but they also have a driving light set. I don't drive much at night, but they do light up the sides of the road. BTW, the windshield is not touching the opener; I can go another inch or so. I have 101" of ceiling height and 90" of cars with a 3" thick lift ramp. A lot of measuring before I ordered the lift.

7. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    I've been wanting to add fog lights to mine, and was pondering how to do it, also without drilling. Thank You! :)

8. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Randy,

You're da Man. Exactly what I was looking for. Can you give me additional details so I can have my parents in Denver pick-up a set of the driving lights and can you show close-ups of the brackets you made and how you installed them.

Thanx in Advance,

Mark

9. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    #9 bobs308, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Mark

Here’s a close up. I just looked at Wal-Mart to find the rectangular shape I wanted. Don’t remember the brand name, just that they had both a driving light (probably what you want) and fog light set; same price. All the wiring and switch included. The lights just plug into the wiring so I figured if one got broken I would just buy another set. The bracket is about 3/16” thick X 1 1/8” wide flat iron. A 3-foot piece was $5.00. I cut it so it come down about 2 1/2 “ and out about 3 inches, bent it in a vice, and drilled holes in both ends. Using a handsaw and electric drill and the “cut & fit” method it took me an hour or so. Then painted the brackets black. There is a bolt that holds the bumper to the compression tube so I just unbolted the nut, put the bracket on and put the nut back on. I understand there is a wiring harness that has enough room to run the wire inside under the dash, but I didn’t know that when I did it. I just drilled a small hole under the cover in the front compartment and sealed it. Mounted the switch and ran a hot wire from a blank terminal in one of the fuse blocks. Glad I could help. Good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's one of the cleanest homemade aftermarket mods I have seen. Thank you. That's my next little project...

11. bobs308

bobs308 Karting

Dec 4, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Edwards
    Thank you for the compliment. When you have a simple mind it is easy to do simple things.

12. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.

+1 Darn nice job. I'll get on it soon.

Mark