S. Cali tire shop recommendation | FerrariChat

S. Cali tire shop recommendation

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by mrpcar, Apr 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    My local tire shop don't want to touch my Ferrari 3 piece modular wheels. Any tire shop recommendations? I live in Chino hills.

TIA

2. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    Mrpcar- I live in the same area. Unfortunately I dont trust any shops around here that do high end rim/tire combos. I usually go to D2technik in Alhambra or a small place in Garden Grove that have always done well. It gives me an excuse to go out for a drive...let me know if you find anyone more local I'd be happy to go there.

3. b4chow

b4chow Rookie

Feb 12, 2008
    i go to The Wheel Supply in Walnut, haven't been out there in a while because it's far, you might want to check them out...

4. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I am a former loyal customer there before the change of ownership. I just felt more comfortable with the old owner being around...

5. parkedr

parkedr Karting

Feb 23, 2007
    Houston
    I've heard good things about Shoreline in Huntington.

http://www.shorelinemotoring.com/

I've talked to Paul over there and he seems like he knows his stuff and they have a very nice facility. I haven't actually used them for anything yet, so I can't vouch for them.

6. blacknight

blacknight Karting

May 14, 2004
    Rowland Hgts
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Eli @ www.fastforwardwheels.com

7. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thanks for the leads guys.

8. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    Hanks Tires in Tarzana. They are the company that put both the wheels ant tires on your car. They are as good as it gets.

9. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Ronnie,

Good to hear from you!

So far I have put over 1300 miles on "your" spider, she is now running great after several minor fixes. Over filled oil, cracked breather hose (factory bracket mounting error) causing the engine to run lean, cleaned the MAF sensors. The hot starting problem is a little better now, doesn't take a long of cranking to start the motor, much less poping sound during gear shifting. Finally started to get some "normal" carbon build up on the inside of the exhaust tips now.

For some reason I can't put power down on the rear tire after apex, traction control just flickers and looses power. I think is the tires... Potenza SO2A? So I have been thinking about some different tires.

Still need to resolve the fuel smell issue when tank is full, could be possible leaky gas tank cap or filler tube.... I am hoping it is not the roll over shut off valve, as that project does not look look like fun. Still have the occasional clutch hang up issue near red line shifting, I just double clutch it when I feel the clutch pedal goes soft. I guess this is a common issue with the 360 clutch when they are a little worn. So will find out when I change my clutch down the road. Other than that she is a blast to drive, still can't get anything better than 13 mpg, but who cares, and I am having a hard time keeping those miles down.

Still have not had a chance to venture out to VCR yet, but looking forward to meet you in person.

Thanks

10. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    +1 for Paul at Shoreline Motoring. Great guy, excellent service! I've recommended Shoreline to my friends and family and all have been exceedingly happy with the service. Prices for tires are extremely competitive as well.

11. Brav

Brav Formula 3

Nov 20, 2005
    OC, Rome
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A little bit closer to you and great prices on tires.. Suprem Power in Placentia. (www.supremepower.com). Off of the 57 and 91. Not as fancy as Shoreline, but they get er done, good knowledge and great service.

12. SDprestige

SDprestige Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    San Diego,Ca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    believe it or not, we use discount tire for all our cars.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    That car just LOOOOOVES being driven like a Ferrari.....after all. ;)

BTW, That's quite a laundry list. Who serviced that thing?

*edit: Hank's is a reputable shop. Been there as long as I can remember.

14. Racer98

Racer98 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 7, 2005
    Encino.
    Full Name:
    K-Fence.

Shocking isnt it.
    http://home.pacbell.net/arval/owned.bmp

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm not keen on trusting local tire shops with expensive wheels.

I had new Eagles put on my 328 recently. I didn't want the tire shop guys jacking up my car, so I took it to my trusted Ferrari shop (Bobileff), and they removed the wheels with the car properly lifted. Also they removed the center caps. Then they drove the wheels and tires (from Tire Rack) over to Performance Tire here in San Diego, where they were mounted and balanced with the weights on the inside. Then the wheels were reinstalled at Bobileffs.

No drama. I think I paid an extra $90 or so for this.

16. Four30Spider

Four30Spider Karting

Apr 22, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire shop closer to West LA? I'm in Westwood, and need to get a tire for my 430 Spider. Someone told me about Globe Tire on La Cienega, but I haven't tried them yet. By the other posts on this form it seems like Hanks in Tarzana is the place to go, but I was hoping to find something closer to me. Any info on Globe Tire or another shop would be much appreciated.

17. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Have had good experience with Stokes Tire in Santa Monica. Admittedly have not taken the F-Cars there myself but thats where I take my Porsche and a co-worker had his LP640 tires changed there as well.

18. LateralGPhotography

Jul 1, 2008
    I work for Edmunds.com and we take all of our Long-Term test cars there. They have done tires on our R8, GT-R, Ford GT, and many others. Great tire place!

19. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I've been doing wheels and tires at Wesco in Van Nuys for over 25 years. See John, who owns the shop.

20. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    I would not take my car to Globe ! Just about a 1/4 mile from them on Blackwelder is Wheel Enhancements, real pro's mostly Porches but they know how to jack up a Ferrari. Most important they torque down, by hand, the wheel bolts according to factory spec...no air tools. Just had them put Bridgestones on my 84 QV. Highly recommend.

21. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Once again, Lucent Motors on Sepulveda (few doors north of Olympic).
    Any tire you want (go to www.tirerack.com), they will do the best alignment and balance.

22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Stokes is great, as long as you don't mind paying Jon's kids college fund for a set of tires.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC