A driver's first pole, and who cares? SPOILER | FerrariChat

A driver's first pole, and who cares? SPOILER

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Dubai Vol, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    A sad commentary on the current state of F1. Even if we weren't distracted by the antics of the outgoing FIA boss, would anyone really care about Kubica's first pole?

As has been documented elsewhere, the change to qualifying resulted in a massive plunge in viewers. Now qualifying is a mess, and nobody cares. Personally, I never missed a qualifying session when it was 12 laps in 60 minutes, now I don't bother because it's a joke. "Let's run the first lap of the race on Satirday afternoon" is effectively what they've done, and it's appallingly idiotic. Now young Kubica has done what would formerly would have been impressive and important, and nobody even notices.

F1 is now a joke to anyone who knows anything about racing.

JMO YMMV

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  3. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I've noticed. People have been talking smack about BMW and they don't know what they're talking about.

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Firstly, thanks for the spoiler in the thread title....

However, *I* certainly noticed, as indeed did you. You even went so far as to post on the topic.

I'd much rather have a red front row, but I do think its good for the sport that there now appears to be a legitimate "third contender". We'll just have to watch the race to see if he needs to refuel on lap 3......

As always, just my 02c,

Cheers,
    Ian

5. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    next time can you please keep spoilers out of thread titles and post a spoiler warning?

I haven't watched qualifying yet.... :(

6. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was all excited about getting together and watching the qualifying. But now, since the results have been posted front and center, why bother?

7. 328

328 Karting

Oct 20, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I agree, the current format is pretty goofy. Hats off to Kubica though, unless he has to pit for fuel on lap 3.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    People shouldnt come on the internet if they dont want to know whats going on .

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    No, they should obey the rules of the forum - "Don't give away results in thread titles".

10. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    +1

11. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    +2

12. GV27TIFOSI

GV27TIFOSI Karting

Jan 12, 2008
    Peoria, Arizona USA
    Full Name:
    DT
    I would like a return to the qualifying format of many years ago, where everyone is on the track at the same time, bring back qualifying tires, no fuel restrictions, ect. and we will see much more exciting racing.
    I am old enough to remember when F1 racing was more dangerous, yes, but also 100% more exciting, right now it is a big video game.
    Remember what Gilles used to say, "Give me the Formula 5000 type cars with 1000 hp and huge tires, and the excitement will be back and that will sort out the men from the boys", or words to that effect, I don't have the direct quote in front of me.
    Racing can be just as safe with less over the top technology and the money saved could be used to build engines for each race.
    Let's see the old spectacle back, hopefully the Bernie/Moseley era will end soon.
    GV27TIFOSI

13. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    read the stickies ;)

14. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    My most sincere apologies. Really very sorry to all for the spoiler.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Neither do I, but I do remember it was partly in answer to the age old question: "How do we increase overtaking in F1?"

He actually said leave the power the same, but put 'em on F3 tires - Much smaller contact patch, ergo much longer braking distances, hence more overtaking......

As to the format of qualifying, I guess I'm with Matchett - Forget the fuel nonsense - I want to see the fastest time in quali be on pole, not set at the end of Q2. [Still possible, but much less likely of course.]

As to 60 minutes "open track" - Have you ever sat for 50mins waiting for anyone to come on track? - *That* sucked.....

As always, my 02c,
    Ian

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Can you edit the title? - At least then the "flaming" won't continue........

Cheers,
    Ian

17. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Well done to RK and BMW -it was only a question of time.How long before the first win?

18. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1000000

I just started watching my pre-recorded qualifying session and I get this.

Thanks a lot, jerk. :mad:

19. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #19 bernardo66, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For cripes sake, this thread was started 5 hours after qualifying ended. Get a grip, get a life and get over yourselves!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Lukas

Lukas Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Lukas A. Niklasson
    +1
    People shouldn't go into the Racing section before watching qualifying or the race!

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I was very excited!!! :D I agree about a change needing to be made to the quali rounds. I actually liked the 1 flying lap one.

22. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :D:D.............

23. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.

Ha, BMW has spoken...........

24. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    People don't need to go into the Racing section for the thread to become a spoiler; if it is the most recently posted upon thread, the title will show up on the very front of the home page, which is how I found out about Kubicka's pole. What do you suggest, that we not log on to F-chat altogether until the race is over?

Very poor posting discipline this morning.

25. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    All I ask is that instead of a thread title like this one post something along the lines of:

"Spoiler: Bahrain pole, Who Cares?"

I'm not saying don't post about it....just keep spoilers out of the thread titles please, I think that that is a reasonable request. It allows those of you to still discuss it while allowing those of us avoiding spoilers to do so....