I need a little extra headroom | FerrariChat

I need a little extra headroom

Discussion in '360/430' started by maximus136, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maximus136

maximus136 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    latin america
    I'm 6'4" and even though I fit in the car, is a tight fit and everything is just a little out of whack (I look on the upper part of the windshield, so the mirror really bothers me when I'm on tight turns, the steering wheel is a bit down etc etc.), are there any seats or conversions that could give me a couple of inches more of head room just to get an ideal sitting position in the car??

any comments would be appreciated

maximus136

2. JoeLo

JoeLo Karting

Mar 19, 2006
    FL / NY
    I am 6'3"...the stock sports seats give me more than enough room

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Replacing the standard or Daytona style seats with the factory racing seats should give you the additional headroom you need.

4. maximus136

maximus136 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    latin america
    thank you PCH I'll look into that, will the seats still be able to adjust of you take out the adjusting mechanisms to make room for lowering your seat??

5. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    You can also have padding taken out of the seats. I had my old TR seats lowered just by stretching the belts below the seat.

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    The factory racing seats sit substantially lower then the conventional or stock seats and are non electric. If you had speced out a new 360 or F430, a knowledgeable Ferrari salesman would have suggested that someone your size order the racing seat option.

7. kouroshoo7

kouroshoo7 Formula 3

Jul 21, 2007
    Full Name:
    Kourosh
    Get rid of the rear view mirror and use a metal saw and cut a hole the size of your head in the roof...

8. marksp

marksp Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2006
    Redmond, WA
    It's not clear which seats you actually have.

The manual Daytona's offer the least headroom because of the extra padding combined with the adjustment which doesn't support lowering the seat. Next is the Daytona powered, followed by the standard manual, then standard powered and finally the racing seat as others have commented.

I'm 6' 5" and have tried (and measured) all options. Unfortunately for me, racing seats are not available in the US so the next best option is standard powered seat.

9. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Is it possible to lower power seats by removing seat rails or replacing the rails with lower profile pieces?

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I doubt there's any real significance in padding between the Daytona and standard seat. IMO the stitching design and Daytona 'straps' give the impression of a more padded seat.

The racing seat option was available in '05/06 US production cars and is currently available over the counter.

11. marksp

marksp Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2006
    Redmond, WA
    As I said, I've measured and personally owned both standard and Daytona's. Daytona's yield less headroom.

12. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Too complicated...............just buy a convertible and drive open top..........I think that will solve all the problems.

13. maximus136

maximus136 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    latin america
    thank you guys for all your answers!!!! I'll look into the racing seats option........

I'll let you know how it goes............

maximus136

14. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    get a 430 spyder :) that should solve all ur headroom problems

15. pbfoot

pbfoot Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    two words-gurney bubble

16. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Solves the problems with the exception of wind burn on your forehead. Lets just say that a bit of time in a 348 with the top down left my forehead a little sore for a few days!

17. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    There are many solutions to that as well........caps, hats, bandanas, a variety of protection creams,.....etc.

18. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    maximus, there are several good options and luckily the 360 cabin is a good starting point for taller driver comfort. Like Drew said, racing seats are a quick fit. There are two additional options if racing shells do not satisfy. There are some companies that make low profile seat tracks that can gain another inch of headroom and still allow seat changes. If you want to really get radical, you can use side mount hardward and bolt the racing shell to the floor, assuming no other drivers who are significanlty different in size!
    In one of the pcars I lowered my overall height by just over 3" by doing the above. It is great and the first time I could look out of a sports car and really see all sky instead of lots of windshield bar!!

19. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am gonna have to say that the creams are about the only thing that wouldn't have blown off my head that day. However, I will make it a point to protect my forehead if I ever find myself in the seat of a pre-360 ferrari spider again!

20. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    :).............;).

21. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I am curious to know a source of low profile sliders.

I tried both the sparco and recaro sliders, and they were both about 3/4" thick. If you use a slider and a standard side mount, and a one piece racing seat, you will have less headroom than in the standard electric seat. I had custom side mounts for my 993 that sat the seat lower, and I test fit them in the 360. First of all, to use a manual slider or direct bolt a side mount, you will have to have something made to allow you to bolt to the front bolt, which is at an angle. Second, when I test fit my sparco evo 2 as a direct bolt, it was a bear to get in and out of.

The factory seat actually uses a pretty low profile system. I was shocked to find out how little headroom the 360 had, when it seems so big on the inside. I really wanted a slider, so I had planned on welding an angled tab to the front of the slider, and direct bolting it. Then, weld the side mount to the slider, and then mount the seat so that the seat bottom sits on top of the slider.

I never really considered the factory sport seat, or sparco milano, b/c they were narrow on the bottom for me. Also, I couldn't use sub belts properly with either of those seats. I don't plan to track the car anymore, but still want to mount the one piece evo 2 b/c its a lot more comfortable to me than the stock seat.

David

22. maximus136

maximus136 Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    latin america
    thank you guys for all your advice.........I'll look into racing seats, I might have an issue with the width not beign comfortable for long trips......

regards

maximus136