Rosetta Stone | FerrariChat

Rosetta Stone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by MobileJay, Mar 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Has anyone used these for learning a language? I am trying to get my girlfriend to learn spanish. My whole family speaks it (and italian) so I want her to be able to speak with them or atleast understand what they are saying when we go to Spain. I am just too damn lazy to teach her. If that isn't a good program then anyone you guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

2. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    A few people I know have had good luck with Pimsleur Approach. This is of course second hand info.......:eek:

3. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Mal is right IMO. Pims is great. I have the CD's. But, no matter what she needs to use them to learn. Most people get through a few lessons and give up.

4. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I have rosetta stone DVDs with 23 different languages on them -- they are OK, imo -- i have not gone through an entire course myself, so i can't comment on how effective it is, but from what I can tell, it works. I believe there are even reading, writing, and pronunciation exercises [if you have a mic] I'll have to check out Pimsleur. I'm a tactile learner, so i like the interactive nature of the RS software.

5. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Thanks for the replys. I might have to try these two out. The only thing is I will have to listen to them first and see if they are "spanish" or real spanish. Being from Spain I was brought up with the correct spanish. I don't want her to say some things that mean something else when she talks to my family. LOL I know too many people that have been very embarrassed by doing so. I'll have to get both and see which one, if either, is close to the spanish we speak. Thanks again for the info.

6. MaleficVTwin

MaleficVTwin F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I listened to the first couple of lessons of Pimsleur and it is "proper" Spanish. They made a point of mentioning it. :)

7. Cicada

Cicada Formula 3

May 22, 2005
    Indian Wells, CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    the RS DVDs i have have 3 different...i guess, dialects of spanish. they have Spain-Spanish, Latin-American Spanish, and one other, i believe.

8. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Good deal. I will have to start looking into these then. Thanks again.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've been wanting to learn Italian for awhile. Jennie and I took a community college class before we got married in Italy, but we only went to a few classes. Not very fun and it was textbook dry. When in Italy for only 10 days we actually picked up quite a bit, but I've forgot most in the last 8 years. Never heard of Pimsleur, but see Rosetta Stone advertising everywhere. Would love some more opinions on what to go with. Thanks.

10. f_the_ASR

f_the_ASR Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Now Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Joe Polinchano
    The last place that I saw the RS software was at Dulles airport. It was being pushed at a kiosk by someone who barely had a grasp of English...

Silly as it sounds, that pushed me to try the other product.

Will post an update in a few weeks and let you know how it feels and works.

11. Thunderbison

Thunderbison Karting

Feb 8, 2006
    Central CT
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 for Pimsleur, I used them to learn Polish, and have retained a good amount

12. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    I bought the CD to learn Korean and was disappointed. It was good for learning words but when they got into sentences, I got confused. The problem I had with the CD was that there were sections that didn't make sense unless you already knew Korean and there was absolutely no translation to bridge the gap.

13. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    I've been using the online version for about a month and it seems to be working very well. I actually like that there is no English translation at all. I find it forces you to understand it and make the visual reference.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I learned that my local public library has Rosetta Stone available online, you only need a library card to access it for free! Not a bad deal.

15. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    Good info, I would like to learn some Vietnamese for my wife. It would help with her family. Its bad enough when I visit I am like a walking tree compared to all of them ( I am 6'4") and my wife is 4'11" and her family is much the same. Its frikin hilarious to see pictures, but they are the best people in the world and I eat like a king when I see them in Cali. We are also all going to Vietnam in January so I need to get hot and learn so basics

16. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    bump

I am considering buying Rosetta Stone but wanted to see if anyone would update their statements or add new thoughts before I plunk down $500 on the system. Thanks!

17. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    My wife studied Dutch with Rosetta Stone. Worked well. Our daughter lives in Netherlands and my wife visited. She could hold some conversation with relatives and friends. Give Rosetta a try.
    John

18. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Pimsleur Approach I use it in the car to and from work. I have retained alot of it.

19. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #19 ty (360mode), Sep 12, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
    Si, estoy tratando de aprender el espanol y estoy usando los CD's de Michel Thomas. He tratado el Rosetta Stone y es OK, pero el metodo de Michel Thomas es con mucho mejor y es mas barato. He estudiado por solo cuatro meses y ya he aprendido mas que mis amigos que han estudiado por muchos anos... Su metodo es muy logico si lo das un oportunidad. No compraria el Rosetta Stone, no vale la pena - pero que es solo mi opinion. (for spanish speakers, sorry for any mistakes!)

Yes, I am trying to learn spanish and am using Michel Thomas CD's. I have tried Rosetta Stone and it is OK, but the Michel Thomas method is by far better and it is cheaper. I have studied for only 4 months and I have already learned more than my friends that have studied for many years... His method is very logical if you give it a chance. I would not buy Rosetta Stone, it's not worth it - but that is only my opinion.

The reason I like his CD's is that he teaches you structure, then you learn words and use the structure to form sentences. I will admit, when I first listened to the CD's, I was like, WTF... but I gave it a chance and once you realize what he's trying to do, it makes all the other ways of learning almost silly (Berlitz, Rosetta, etc).

Anyway, again, JMHO... GL!

20. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i've never heard of michael thomas, i've been wanting to learn russian for a long time, most of my friends are russian, and all are fluent in english, but they have a tendency to switch it up in mid-sentence, which drives me crazy. the thing that has stopped me from doing rs is the price, it seems awfully high, but i'll check out that michael thomas software.

21. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been wanting to learn Italian for a while now. I actually looked at a couple different programs. After finding this thread I decided to try again. I was able to find the Michel Thomas Italian set on ebay for about $60. I'll give it a try for that price!!

22. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Digging up an old thread.

Well I didn't get far with the CD from Michel Thomas. Trying to learn just by listening just wasn't happening for me.

I found out recently that I could get access to Rosetta Stone through my work for free. Signed up and have been trying it out. Seems pretty easy so far. It is interesting how they set it all up. They mix up reading and speaking with some typing and little quizzes.

If anyone really wants to learn a language this seems to be the way to go, very interactive.

23. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have had experience with Pimsleur. I know nothing about Rosetta. I went through three levels (plus/minus 45 lessons) of Portuguese before I moved to Brazil, playing them repeatedly and practicing responding to the questions per the workbook.

Pros: Excellent tool for learning pronunciation, common phrases, asking for directions etc.

Cons: In the real world when you ask someone a question you learned in Pimsleur and they respond with anything other than exactly what was the response on the CD, what you hear is gibberish because you have learned virtually no grammar and do not know how to construct/deconstruct even a simple sentence. The best you can do is to hit them up with "can you speak more slowly?"

As kids most of us did learn to speak our native language without grammar and we weren't taught grammar until we got to school. But that still took years and the technique is what is today described as immersive and intensive.

Conclusion: Pimsleur is a good start, but not much more than that.

Comment: Fear of embarrassment and/or looking stupid in public is a significant hurdle for most people in learning a new language. If you can help the learner to overcome most of that, he/she will learn far more quickly.

24. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Something that I'm seeing with Rosetta is that it also makes you figure things out on your own. It will teach you one part of a phrase then throw in a new word and make you match it to a picture.

I haven't tried Pimsluer so can't comment on it but so far Rosetta seems to be doing a pretty good job of also getting you to think about how to adapt new things as you go.

There is no substitute for REAL immersion in the REAL culture but if it gives you a good headstart then it is probably worth it.

25. AJTozzi

AJTozzi Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2006
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony Tozzi
    If anyone wants to know anything about Rosetta, let me know. I work for them :)