brake bleeder | FerrariChat

brake bleeder

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tatcat, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    has anyone used or seen the one person brake bleeder like the one in the griot's catalog. i tried one of the hand grip vacuum types, totally useless. this model is hooked to an air line. supposedly you just squeeze the trigger and it draws the fluid through. at $40 it seems a good value, if it works.

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i got their large canister version that you pump up, hook to brake bleeder screw and it sucks out the fluid... total crap. Can;t believe i watsed that much on it. i keep so i learn to trust what track guys use, not some 'designer' foofy thing.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Try a search and you'll see the part numbers for SPEED BLEEDERS which replace your bleeder nipples. It is a 1 person operation and is pretty simple and quick. It takes me about a 1/2 hour to do a complete brake fluid change.Never had a problem.

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I got the kind that screws on top of the master cylinder from Motive products . .. cheap and I love it.

motiveproducts.com

5. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    +1000000

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Those are good. You just have to be really careful not to let the fluid level in the master reservoir get too low or you can end up blowing air into the lines. But that's true no matter what system/method you use. You need to keep the reservoir topped up so that you are always drawing nice, clean fluid, not air, into the master cylinder and lines.

7. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

If you find the level in the reservoir dropping as rapidly as these words suggest, then there is something wrong somewhere. I changed brake fluid fully every year and rarely had to top up anything in between.

8. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    + 2000 On the Motive pressure bleeder, fast and effective. No helper needed.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+ 2001 ^ 3 on the Motive. Works like a peach!

10. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone know what size Speed Bleeder fits a 328?

11. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm

Also a 348 :)

12. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    get a pressure bleeder, best way to go, refills the reservoir as it goes not chance to introduce air into the system (if done correctly). We use the Snap-on version, but we are doing 10 a week, I am sure there are cheaper home versions on the market.

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I use the Motive as well but even so I find times when I still need to do a 2 person bleed.

Also, I'm using Castrol SRF and at $70-$80 a quart I don't fill the Motive container with fluid. I just keep filling the reservoir.

It's a bit of a pain but I'm not going to dump enough of that expensive stuff in that huge container to auto feed. I would think it would be quite a mess when you disconnect it.

Bob S.

15. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    so the motive "pushes" the fluid through rather than pulls? just open the bleeders one at a time or all at once and pump away? the price is right too.

16. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Yes . . pushes the fluid .. bleed one at a time starting with the furthest wheel just like normal bleeding . .. do them all a few times with a clear hose connected running into a bottle so you can see the air

I only pump it up to 5 psi . .. I've wondered at what pressure the master cylinder would blow off . .. that would be messy :( . .. other experiences?

I also don't fill the tank to just do a bleed . .. . just make sure the master cylinder doesn't empty.

Instructions or someone told me the brake pedal needed depressing/holding down . .. also found this wasn't the case . .. thoughts on that?

Sean

17. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
  18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You can pump it up higher than that. I just did my race car and it has the plastic reservoir that pops into the the top of the master with two grommet seals.
    I went to 20 PSI trying to get a stubborn bit of air out but no luck. So I had my assistant pump the pedal up several times and then opened the bleeder valve and voila!
    Sometimes depending on your system's design or what you've just done to it, it can take a bit more than a simple pressure bleed. For normal fluid echange service probably not.

Bob S.

19. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

As I said when done correctly!!
    No mess, no overflow, no air. But any tool is only as good as its workmen.