Cal Spyder Replicas | FerrariChat

Cal Spyder Replicas

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One of the bad things about growing up is the realization of "dreams that you'll never see." For me, this includes the realization that I'll never be able to afford a real Cal Spyder.

So is it okay to discuss replicas here? I'm particularly interested in finding out more about Modena Designs. It is my understanding that Ferrari sued them after the Bueller movie. But have they come back? See the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250229872305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Also who else is out there?

Dale

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That replica is one of the worst i have seen.

I once saw a cali spider repro done on a GTE chassis/engine for sale in Italy that looked amazing. I think it was done by Allegretti .

3. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    The car build looks very good, all put together, The bodywork is very good and smooth for fiberglass. Someone probably spent at least that putting the car together. If they could get the windshield reproduced then that would change the look. So the reality of having to use donor cars and parts only comes through to those who really know the look very well. Would I pay that much?, no one would/did. Would I tool around in it on a sunny afternoon, definately.

4. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
  5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I would like one myself.

I can't see plopping down 3-5 Mil and not driving it. That one though for 109K is priced too high. I have seen them for 40-60K. A super one went through an auction last year for 68K. Just 300 miles on the build.

All the flavor, none of the fat :), except your bank account

GO FOR IT!!!!!!

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Dale, we don't normally discuss non-Ferrari based replicas over here, but rebodied GTEs, 330s, etc still have a history of being actual vintage Ferraris at one point. I think you can find out more about the Ferris Bueller cars here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137303677

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74395

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136955135

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136837292

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136075925

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93793

Now that you've read through all of that, here's what you're really looking for!

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I still have an original "Modena" sales folder. full color, with business card of the maker stapled to it, from the auto show where it debuted. Make an offer. Ford engine, as I recall. I think they built way less than 100. Not at all the same thing as the re-body shown by Fisken---no Ferrari parts except a few things like nose badge, st.wheel, etc.

8. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Until recently, Carrs of Exeter (Official UK Ferrari Dealer) had a nicely done swb California based on a 250 GTE (#4749 GT).
    The asking price was £474,995 ($950,000) although I don't think the selling price was this high.

It was commissioned in 1992 by Ricahrd Freshman of USA, a concours winning restorer, who has won Pebble Beach. His requirements were for a perfect recreation indistinguishable from an original SWB Cal Spider,except for the chassis number.
    The only coachbuilders in the world capableof producing such an end result, are from Italy. He decided upon world renowned Ferrari coachbuilder Franco Ferrari from Modena.

In 1995/96, the vehicle was sold to Greig Jones from the USA, another world renowned Ferrari restorer, often showing at Pebble Beach and a senior concours judge. At this stage, the vehicle was in primer and required paint,interior, mechanics, wiring, brakes, suspension and assembly. As the vehicle was still in Italy, he chose the best trimmers in the world - Luppi from Modena, Italy - to complete all the interior.

The vehicle was then shipped to the USA, where Greig Jones completed the project to an impeccable standard by the end of 1997. Intricate details such as the timing cases, fuel pump drive and location were even changed to replicate a 168 Type engine as fitted to an original, rather than the 250GTE donor type 128F engine.

Although a genuine Ferrari was compromised for this build, the quality of workmanship was of the highest quality

Paul

9. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
  10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I'm in the same boat as Dr. Who. I really don't like the newer cars. I had a 79 308GTS located for $18,000 that was supposedly complete and driveable, but it had a murky title history with possible flood and collision damage. So I passed. I really prefer the look of the pre-1968 Ferraris. But these cars are all super high dollar and cold hearted reality says they will always be worth more to somebody else than I would ever be willing to pay. I've been curious about the Calspyder and received some e-mail from the current manufacturer a while back. To me, the most interesting possibility is taking a genuine 250GTE chassis and putting a new Calspyder body on it. Legally speaking, it is still a Ferrari and will still be titled as such with the original chassis VIN. The catch is: the engine. It just doesn't seem ethically correct to hang a Ferrari emblem on a car with a Chevy or Ford engine under the hood. So IF you can find a GTE chassis and IF you can find a genuine Ferrari V12 engine that doesn't need a $30,000 rebuild, then maybe you could utilize the setup as a base for a Calspyder project that would not end up on the "crappy replica" thread. But if you could find the hypothetical GTE chassis and engine without chopping up an existing car, you might be better off by having one of the Italian coachmakers build an aluminum body for the project. Of course the cost is now going to rise through the stratosphere. Decision, decisions. To thine on self be true. As for me, I just don't think that a 4 seater Ferrari like a GTE is very exciting. It has the engine and the heritage,....but the looks pale in comparison to a GTB or a P4 and others.

The most interesting possibility that would be economically feasible would be an orphaned GTE frame, a 400 engine, and a Calspyder body. It would be a mongrel to the purists, but it would legally be a Ferrari with a Ferrari engine. I could live with that.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am in the process of having one of these cars built and would be glad to answer any who are interested. It has taken me over five years to get this far. As for the previous owner/builder of these cars I would be invited to leave Ferrari Chat for ever if I were to use the words that would rightly describe the person. Need I say more. The new owner is Mike Renucci of Classic Cars by Renucci at [email protected]. My project has involved several changes to the previous cars. Probably the most importand is finding an engine. Originally I had a nice 4 cam Cobra Mustang engine package only to fine out after over three years of haggleing with previous owner X that it wouldn't fit.. Eventually after Mike bought out Previous owner X I finally moved the job over to Classic Cars By Renucci. Then the issue became where to find an engine that would fit and also pass the Massachusetts new car emissions test. Yes, that's right. this state require a new kit car pass a new car emissions test regardless of what engine is under the hood. Pro Formance engineering has developed a FI V8 that with cats etc. is supposed to pass the test.. To make a long story short I will be getting a rolling chassis/body from Mike and will do the interior and painting. I have over thee years collected various parts from Ferrais of the period such as seats,interior door pannels and more which I will install and have have found the perfect Ferrari fly yellow paint. The bottom line here is Mike has proved to be someone who I can"t say enough good things about.Anyone out there who is interested in more on this subject can reply here or I am at [email protected]. Just one man's opinion. tongascrew

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah man, I coulda gone all day without this... :)

Dale

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yes, please keep us updated on your progress. I'm sure that the pic on the website of the car with the high headrests is an anomaly.

It would be interesting to think about what other engines could be used. Maybe a turbo Miata or ever a Honda S2000. Frankly, the new Maser V8 would be cool and sound kinda like the real thing.

Dale

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Do you have any pictures of the finished car ?

15. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
  16. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Regarding the Fisken car... it's the first time I've seen a disk braked car without a vacuum booster. Also, didn't all the LWB cas have the "hidden" outside door handles?

john

17. Patrick Faucompre

Mar 3, 2005
    All LWB Cal. have hidden handles, except the last 15 out of the 49 produced.

18. SC Spyder

SC Spyder Guest

I own what was marketed as the Modena from Modena Design and Development in 1987, the designer; Mark Goyette was part of the company then. I purchased the last of 11 kits, chassis #18 and built it with a Ford 351/C4. My order was placed just about the time the movie was released and interest in the car was very high. Modena wanted to produce turnkey cars only, which was part of the companies demise. Can you say negative cash flow! About the time the Miami Vice program came along Ferrari started leaning on the replica manufacturers one by one. Modena and Ferrari had come to an agreement whereby Modena would stop using the Modena name any reference to Ferrari but was able to continue to manufacture the car. I believe the car was then named the Knight Wild Cat. I believe there were even some strong words regarding the grill design.

I was told (in late 80's) that there was at least one Modena body on a Ferrari chassis and some talk of using Jag engines too.

Because of my experience with ours, modifying it to overcome some of it's mechanical rough edges; I have spoken with all the new owners and shared numerous bits of insight between us.

Fast forward 20 years and 4 - 5 different manufacturers of the car later. After 60k miles I am in the final stages of replacing the Ford 351 with a Ford Thunderbird Super coupe 3.8 ltr engine.

I originally built the car in Massachusetts so am familiar with the titling problems there but now live in Jacksonville where those issues don't exist.

I would be more than happy to share what I know with you.

Doug

19. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Yes, I know the feeling. The nearest I got was owning a 328GTS in Italy for a few years. Driving any Ferrari in Italy is...well I just can't put it into words. The falling $ finally put that to an end. I also will never own a real 250 California so am having one built by Classic Cars by Renucci as a rolling body/chassis to which I will do the finish work.. If you are interested contact him at [email protected]. He is great to work with and you can "customize" a car to your liking. Just one man's opinion. tongascrew

20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am putting seats from an early GTE as well as other period Ferrari parts in my car when it gets here as well as doing the painting. Mike Renucci will customize a car in almost any way. Find an engine you want to use and if it will fit he will make every effort to use it. I believe there is one out there with a Ferrari V12 in it and I think Mike got a Caddilac Northstar V8 in one. tongascrew

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi Doug, I thought about moving to north Florida but just can't stand the climate.There was a bill in Mass to rectify the kit car titling problem but it died somewhere along the line. Today things are worse. I probably would be better off in California. Keep your fingeres crossed for me. I hope the engine from Pro formance will pass emissions. I may be the first one to try this. tongascrew

22. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    #22 pflowers, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I own one of Mike Reunicci's CalSpyders. I have been very pleased with the quality of work and the performance of the car. He has made a number of improvements to the original design. I made a mistake of not getting him to install power steering and am currently getting ready to install it using his instructions. I have attached a picture of my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Very nice. I appreciate you not putting Ferrar badges on it. What motor do you have?

Dale

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    All of the Modena/Calspyder creations always seem to use a Ford engine, never a Chevy. Is this because the Ford has a front mounted distributor? Will a Chevy with a rear mounted distributor even fit?

25. SC Spyder

SC Spyder Guest

You could install a Chevy engine either by modifying the firewall or (my favorite) install a distributerless engine. I believe that the Chevy small block is a little larger than a ford so carefull measurments should be taken.

Here is a link to some photos of my Supercoupe repower project you can see how close the firewall/engine relationship is.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mccleary.doug/Ferrari

Doug