Need advice regarding audio head unit. | FerrariChat

Need advice regarding audio head unit.

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferrariwant2be, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariwant2be

ferrariwant2be Karting

Jan 14, 2008
    #1 ferrariwant2be, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like the left door speaker on my car has a blown tweeter so the recent stereo howto and door panel howto will come in real handy (thanks guys!)

I have some questions regarding the CD head unit. See attached image.

When I received the car the stereo was basically loose. It didn't rattle but I knew it was less than secure. It seems as though the fingers on the metal cage are meant to lock in behind the plastic trim piece but don't because they need to be bent upward. Is this correct?

If so, how do you remove the cage after the fact, and how do you remove the trim piece if, say, I wanted to upgrade this stereo later? I did not receive a user’s manual or installation manual with the stereo.

And lastly, it is an Alpine CDM-7823. Was this the original stereo?

Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Generally you slide the radio out of the cage by using two keys, one on each side...varies among manufacturers.

With the empty, hollow cage, you put it into the dash, then just reach inside and bend up a few metal tabs. Then you slide the radio into the cage. Reverse steps to remove.

3. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Of course No Doubt is correct( as usual..:eek:) but since your deck is out with the cage around it you can sometimes pull back the tabs that are holding the head unit in,
    then it's just a matter of inserting the cage and bending all the teeth up/downwards.

If you can not pull the tabs back go to a local stereo shop they usually have hundred of these keys lying around.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The Alpine is not factory - During the run of later 355's, FNA used Sony...Alpine was used by Lambo as a stock piece

5. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    There we go, finally, i knew eventually i would find something i like about Lambos, they have a great head unit.

P.S. i also have an Alpine in my F-car, i have one of the new ones with the ipod controller, great units these Alpines, been fitting them to my cars for many years now, never had a problem

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    +1 - That is what I have--Love the iPod controls....

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

8. ferrariwant2be

ferrariwant2be Karting

Jan 14, 2008
    Thanks for the instructions. I had another friend explain it to me as well so now I have the complete picture. In addition to the fingers that get bent upward there are also the shorty tabs that get bent up. I guess they are just redundant security. I can't understand why the last owner didn't do any of this but I'll do it. I just want to clean the wiring up a little before I do.

To get the cage out you would use keys of some sort to get the head unit out then you'd have to unbend the fingers/tabs manually from within. If you ask me it doesn't sound pleasent to have to do without good visibility and the right tools but that's how it's done. For keys, and the lack thereof, I was told for a lot of companys you can use PC slot covers or any thin peice of metal. For Sonys you use those U shaped pins - I have that in another car - just never tried installing/removing the cage.