Going to Germany (Nurburgring), what do I need to know? | FerrariChat

Going to Germany (Nurburgring), what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by furious_ferrari, Apr 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hey guys/gals,

Im heading over to Europe in August and I want to hit up Nurburgring! Just want to know if I can rent a car there to drive around the track...what info do I need to know? What cars can I rent? What costs are involved?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. mat

mat Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2006
    Warsaw/Lodz, Poland
    Full Name:
    Mateusz
    get yourself a good computer game with a nordschleife in it and learn it first there. you'll have far greater satisfaction when riding on it in reality

4. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

But don't think you can do the Ring in xx minutes, because that just doesn't work.
    Even with a fast car, you will be overtaken by experienced drivers in old Golf GTI's and Opels (Vauxhall).
    Don't try to follow them, just drive your own safe speed.

Or else you will end up like this English guy who thought he could do it in 9:30 minutes, because he watched Top Gear and had a PS2 with Gran Turismo.

I was driving a Porsche 944 S2 from a friend of mine and there was oil on the track (there were "oel-spur" shields to mark the trace from Fuchsrohre to Adenauer Forst), so I slowed down.
    When I looked in my rear-view mirrors, this BMW came flying towards us (racing speed) and almost hit our car!!
    I quickly sped up and went out of his way to let him pass.

After the oil-track I accellerated again and followed this lunatic. He was taking corners wrong and I was just waiting for the accident to happen and two bends later he got in the grass with the rear wheels (because he braked much too late) and ended up on the roof in the middle of the track.
    I parked the car and went to the crash-scene to check if the driver was okay. My friend walked back to alert the other cars that were coming.

Driver was okay luckily (only a cut in his arm) and we stayed with him to help out with the language etc.

More pictures here :
    http://www.gummen.org/fotoalbum/evenement_show.asp?art_id=340

5. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

#6 Harry-SZ, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

And don't rent a car at Avis or something, because they know people try to use them for trackdays and this is not allowed.
    Even if there is no visible damage, they will charge you thousands of dollars for tyres etc.
    People at the Ring will call Avis if they see rental cars on the track, so they will find out.

So only use companies rent a racer (see above) or http://www.RSRnurburg.com . They have got some great cars like the Clio V6 or the Porsches!