Fire Prevention | FerrariChat

Fire Prevention

Discussion in '308/328' started by desire308, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    How many of you have tried this method of fire supression...it makes a lot of sense to me for the $250.00 it cost for two [mounted to the firewall]. I see a testimonial in a 328, thinking it should work in a 308 as well. The only fear I have is it going off w/out an actual fire and not sure the liquid would cause damage to vital parts if it did.

http://www.firefight1.com/prod_ss-30.html

http://www.firefight1.com/customer.html

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Halon is a gas - does very minimal damage - that's why it's used in computer labs and high-tech places like that...

3. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I'm interested in this, but I also wonder if it would go off without an actual fire? Dennis

4. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    I wanted to do the exact same thing, till I consulted with my son (a fireman in Washington State) His chief (Skip Nichols) commented back to me in an email, I then posted here last Nov 2007. Go to my post #8 in the thread below for those details:

http://www.ferrari101.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174136

I still have not done anything to date. I'm hedging towards a foam system per Skip's recommendations. But, I'm definitely interested in doing some more due dilegence on the subject before deciding.

Maybe Fchatters will have some more input too. Let's discuss further!!!!!

Bob

5. jh355

jh355 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Halluci-Nation
    Full Name:
    Craven Morehead
    The upside to using Halon is; its one of the best fire suppressant materials, but it’s difficult to obtain since it’s no longer legal to produce. The two down sides to Halon in this application are; Halon is very corrosive, if you mount the extinguisher sideways, the Halon will deteriorate the valve and O-Rings at some point. The other downside to mounting the extinguisher in the engine bay is the tremendous heat, which will increase the pressure in the bottle accelerating the leakage.

The biggest downside to the above installation is out of site out of mind; you may think you’re protected, not check the gauges frequently enough, and in an emergency nothing happens, hopefully no one is pinned in or unconscious.

6. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    After the halon deteriorates the seal in your extinguisher, can you replace the seal and fill that same extinguisher with halatron or some other extinguishing material or do you have to get a new extinguisher?

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Halon can be refilled by Firebottle and others. Best way to avoid the normal Ferrari burndown (besides not crashing it) is to change ALL the old oil/fuel lines for new ones.

8. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    Halon is getting very very hard to refil, My 10lb bottle got accidently discharged by a shop & it cost around 200 to refil & lluckily there was a place nearby that could do it.
    The new foam based suppresants are supposedly non toxic , self refillable & much cheaper.

9. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    What do we look for when buying the foam type (chem name, number,etc.)?

Have any links to stores that sell them?

10. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
  11. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    I read up a bit on them and am a bit confused.
    Which do you think is best for our 308's (P, FP, AR-FP, FFFP, AR-FFFP, AR-AFFF) ? I do not race my car. I put in only standard available 91 octane pump gas.

12. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    #12 luckydynes, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Better than nothing and is required for track events . .. I made the bracket that mounts to the seat but still need to buy a billet mount for the extinguisher itself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Not to pick on you, but that's the key problem: not doing anything. Paralysis by over analysis.

Put *any* fire protection system into your car first...and then later you can debate, consider, ponder, and even decide if you want to go with a better system.

But driving around with no fire protection is your WORST possible choice.

14. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

And use fuel-safe (there are several types of) Teflon tape on all fuel/oil fittings.

And have an engine-bay fire protection system (even just one automatic extinguisher is a good start). A hand-held extinguisher in the driver-cockpit is likewise a good bonus idea.

15. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    No problem, No Doubt. I AM carrying a 4 lb. Type B Halon unit on board till I make my final choice. I'm looking to put a bult-in auto activated system in ASAP.

16. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
  17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    FYI: i have a 5 lbs halon system for sale from my ex-track car. Virtually new condition, includes 2 nozzles and seat mount for a Ferrari 308. See www.EnjoyTheTrack.com/ferrari/