Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by synchro, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I think you guys are on NEWCO a little too much. I have talked to a few Ferrari parts folks and there is often not a big market for a lot of the things a few of us need. Yet they have to make or order stuff to have it available or they will loose the sale + it is a positive service to us to have it available. Of course there is a mark up on this stuff but at the same time, as far as I can tell, only Shaughnessy is getting rich on selling Ferrari parts, (and he is squandering it all on maintaining '50's Ferraris, hording old guitars and parts). Yale

2. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    It's not just the prices. It's customer service. Do not expect a refund if the parts have been misrepresented, incorrect or broken when they arrive.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Neu im Programm: originale gelbe selbstsichernde Muttern vom ital. Originalhersteller und Ventildeckelschrauben, öldichtend, mit Kappe.
    M12 2,40€
    M10 x 1 2,10€
    M8 1,80€
    M6 1,50€
    Ventildeckelschrauben 1,80€

Thank you.
    What is the strength rating
    and
    Are these 1.25 pitch?

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

I contacted Penny and told her that I wanted those three sizes in Yellow Nylocks and that they had to be Yellow. She said that she would get right back to me.
    Over a week later she calls and says that she has all of them around $0.20 (size dependanet), which raised my hopes. When I asked if they were Yellow she responded "No, did you need them in Yellow?" I confirmed and she hung up to do more searching.
    A day later she calls back and says that they can't get them and they would have to be made up, but not in the 40 or so that I need. I told her that I would be willing to buy hundreds, possibly thousands, so off she goes to find out more info

The next day I receive a voice mail saying that it isn't worth their time to persue this and they are passing on it.

Perhaps NEWCO is the only source....

PS - Penny mentioned something about the Nylock's color being specific to a manufacturer.

5. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David

Something is not right here??????They are a dime a dozen in Europe and 7$ each in the states.

6. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Scott,

Sorry Alma Bolt, couldn't help you. I thought they could and specifically told Penny, about the yellow color, on the nylocks.

I think your next best source, is to find an Italian motorcycle dealership, that sells Ducati or Moto- Guzzi, or contact their USA distributor, and see what they can do.

Maybe one of the Fchatters in Italy, can give you a helping hand?

Ciao...Paolo

7. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    You perhaps haven't tried to do business with Italian suppliers. I've been waiting 4 months for Lancia engine parts, from a well known company who said they had them in stock.

You could also fly to Turin and visit one of the many weekend car flea markets in the region. Absolutely remarkable what you can find.

But, add up the time, cost & inconvenience, then Newco's prices won't look so bad.

I send an email to Newco and within 5 days a box arrives on my doorstep in Sydney, with exactly what I ordered.

8. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Hi Ian,

No, I haven't done any business with Italian Parts Companies, but with our Homeland Security situation, it has to be a nightmare. But there must be an easier way, to find these yellow nylocks. That is the price and Newco, seems the only place for the correct nuts.

I see you are in Sydney, I have family there and have visited a few times myself. Great place!

Ciao...Paolo

9. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    It is really dificult for me to quite understand this thread.
    I spend about 20 hours per week sourcing parts that are truely expensive for vintage cars. Meanwhile Neal has spent the time and energy to get about as close as possible to the correct parts for cars where the parts in most cases have not been made for 25 years.
    What could possibly be the issue with spending $7.00 for a grade 10 metric nut that is correct in every way. Has anyone actually tried to find many of the other parts on these cars? I've seen the nylocks he sells and I've seen the cheap ones that sell for less.
    I would gladly spend the extra amount any day of the week knowing to know that a part that is as visible as suspension parts are is correct. So far they are the cheapest parts I've found.
    I for one do not want to waste my time calling all over Italy to import 500 pounds of hardware in order to save a couple of dollars. I think that if people have a problem with Newco prices the easiest solution is to get a calling card and go to work. Spend dollars to save pennies.
    Morris

10. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    You can get your old ones re-plated for less, but the nylon may suffer, or already be bad. $7 per new nut is a lot, but my sense is that it will be a lot cheaper than spending your time sourcing the correct ones. Probably wont be near the most expensive part of the restoration, either.

If you don't care about the color or appearance of the nut, you don't need to buy the $7 ones for a good restoration.

Of course, all it takes is for one guy to do the research on who the mystery nylock supplier is, and post the results- then we can all save some money. :)

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Thanks, the assistance is much appreciated.

PS - I did mention your name, Paolo, and she did not even recognize it but said that she knew someone named PABLO.
    Ouch!

12. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    AH! Penny seems to have difficulty reemembering things. Yellow Nylocks and such things?

My Fchat name is Paolo, as it fits with the Italian theme, with FERRARI and all.

My name is Paul, which is the American Name, I use. I also am of Hellenic Heritage, GREEK, in another name. I won't go into my Baptized name. This is longer and more detailed than I wanted, but...PAP and me and I think Tifosiron, also are of Greek heritage. No Pablo.

I talked to Penny using Paul, and that I was at the Masonic Home. That she should remember! Can I do anything more for you at Alma Bolt. I'll give Penny a call and see how the yellow nylock situation, was handled? The owner had a Ferrari, at one time I am told, and would like to meet him.

Did you ever find any yellow nylocks? What car is this going on? I presume it is for Concours judging?

Ciao...Paolo

13. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008

What a complete crock. And to imply that one cannot buy quality hardware of equal or better quality than what Newco offers is beyond belief. Anyone ever heard of an airplane and the hardware quality they use make Newco hardware look like Home Depot China 10 cent specials.

And come off the scare tatics Newco, 140 mph is mere childs play in the world of real performace........ Gran Prix motorcycles......and I don't see any of them using your yellow nylocks. Unbelievable.

$7 usd for a nut is horiffic greed by Newco and pure ignorance on any buyer. Out of sheer principle none of us should buy a single nut from these scammers.

Personally, I'd rather pay a euro resource fee and shipping costs from Italy that give into such (you've got to deal with us) tatics.

14. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Neil,

I just came back from Italy checking up on a few cars and noticed a couple of old-timers (70+ years old) that worked for Ferrari back in the sixties were using a cream (maybe you call it clear) color and yellow color nylock. I couldn't resist and asked about which is correct for the cars because I thought yellow was correct? Every single person I asked stated both where as Ferrari used both on the cars. My Daytonas, for the record, all had yellow inserts. They didn't particularly care and just asked me which ones I wanted to use and they'll use them.

Of course, just because they stated this doesn't make it so. As I also stopped by Luppi and they showed me a Daytona seat they had just completed and I asked if they had the cross-hatch vinyl strip for the seat insert vs. the pebble grain they were using? They had no idea what I was talking about and stated these were the only correct ones. As we all know, late Daytonas used a cross-hatched vinyl strip, only the early ones used the pebble-grain ones.

In general, they care much less about what is "original" and much more about what will work. If a new Marelli gold zinc plated BK2A ignition coil works better than the original BZR201A (it does), then on it goes.

Steve

15. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008
    You've hit the nail on the head Steve.

Only those insecure in their (non) lives have to resort to being as anal to care about the stupid color of the plastic insert of a nut. The wine and cheese types seems to be classic examples of this as they seem to need to buy theirs.

I know I'm going to paint with a broad brush here but here goes.

Ferrari's and Ducati motorcycles use to be owned by a good portion of people that actually used and them as Dr. T and Enzo intended. Sadly, now the greatest portion of Duck and Ferrari owners haven't a fuggin clue what these machines are about. All they want to do is stand around looking like the "lifestyle" they'd like others to think they have. We call them "posers" where I come from and are the laughing stock of anyone who knows the diff between a tire valve and desmodromic actuation.

God forbid I was in charge of Ferrari like Enzo use to be......because probably 90% of Ferrari owners would be driving something else if they couldn't show me that they are serious hands-on owners that earn the right to drive and own a Ferrari. Up to a (Ferrari/Ducati) standard......not down to a checkbook. There's a concept.

To those of you reading this that actually set your own valves and drive your cars over 55 mph, my hat is off to you. To the rest of you maggots, go buy a BMW or Honda ..... please.

AMF !!!

Mike Cecchini
    Bethesda, Maryland
    [email protected]

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a kick ass post, brudda..

Welcome to the site....LOL!

I have no idea what color my nylocs are but when someone left them off for standard hexes, the cross bolts of my rear A-arms backed out, on the way home from a Buddy Guy concert.....

Could have been bad....

17. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008
    Gotta call 'em the way I see 'em these days Bubba. Life's getting too freakin short to do otherwise. I've had my fill of dumb-down posers that make the rest of us look like the sad idiots they are.

And if that retard had just used some Loctite, you'd have been fine.

My best to you ........ Mike

"It's all about the journey........ not the destination."

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I know some funny machined bushing fell off in the road, that was $55 to replace....LOL!
    It DID come in a little yellow Horsie box...

...and I have a groove cut around the inside of the rim, by the bolt head.. to remember the incident. That, and a signed black and white polka dot Stratocaster......

One poster above was right there are several styles of locking hex designs used worldwide.
    I suppose I also agree with those trying so hard to be "correct" but agree with you it's much more important to be out there rolling..

19. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't really have a problem being correct, but at the level some of these posers take it...... I get pretty sick of it.

On important things, I'll not only use a self-locking nut, but I will drill and safety wire it to be sure the damn thing does not come off. This mentality comes from riding bikes at 150+ mph ......and as you know......bikes fall over with all sorts of life changing things happen in 20--30 seconds. Cars ? Hell, roll cages, 5-point harness . thats cheating.

I'd love to put some of these posers on a 200 hp 380 lb 1000cc machine and see what kind of cajones they really have. 99% would come back (if they came back) needing a change of skivvies.

Mike

20. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    I would need the change of skivvies....

..but I don't pretend to be brave.

Tom W

21. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Mike,

As people in these parts know, I certainly drive my cars. You can see a SWB Spyder California, or Daytona Spyder, or 4cam, or alloy body competition LWB Spyder California, F40, GTO, etc. at the local buger joints in Los Gatos on a daily basis. I drive my cars all over the place. To work, to Monterey for lunch, to Tahoe, to LA, just about any reason is a good excuse to drive the cars. They are far more reliable than people think.

I only got involved in some of the Concours mess because I got tired of friends getting dinged for something that was supposedly wrong, but wasn't. When "experts" are stating that all USA Daytonas came with the extended bumpers (they didn't, only post Sept 72 ones did), or Daytonas came with black Arman Arms and Blades (only USA ones, is the one of the items a friend got dinged on incorrectly), etc., etc. On Daytonas, there some USA cars came with non-USA horn rings on the steering wheel for some reason, all around the same VIN. I can only guess that someone at the factory was new at the task and didn't read the memo and put the European leather wheel set up on a few USA cars. Someone then probably noticed, thumped him on the head at lunch, and the other cars came through normally. To be fair to the Judges, this is why some these cars, like Daytonas, that went through a long production run, during the time of the Fiat acquition and with ever changing saftey and emissions restrictions around the world (it was not just the USA, it was Sweden, Germany, UK, France, etc. all had slight variations of the Daytona for their own saftey regulations that changed during the run) are a nightmare to actually Judge "correctly". Heck, Daytonas had 11 different gas tanks alone, for example, and you won't find 11 different part numbers in any Daytona parts book. Ditto the plethora of bumpers. Somehow, the mechanics are just supposed to know. It certainly makes things interesting.

A final note on all of this stuff is when I was giving a seminar on Daytonas at the Cavallino Classic. I never saw the "original" car I was supposed to use to discuss Daytonas until about 120 seconds before the event. No, it wasn't original, not even close, but it did have something that really surprised me. I started going through the engine compartment and noticed that it had a one bolt steering box, I was stumped as this car was about 14 months to late for that part, Wayne Sparling mentioned it to the crowd before I said anything. He noticed the same thing. Both of us agreed it sure looked original in the car and it's not a straight swap to go back and forth between the one bolt and later three bolt style. I guess someone at Ferrari found one of the old one bolt units in the bottom of the parts bin and, not wanting to waste a single part, constructed a 1973 car to use the earlier set-up. (Or, it was a crash fix, but it didn't look like it.) So, the moral is let's not get to carried away with all this "authenticity" stuff as Ferrari sure as heck didn't back when the built the cars.

I have done business with NewCo Products and have not had a problem. Like others, I don't mind paying up for a part if it works whether it be Neil, Tom Shaughnessy, Modena Motori, whatever. If I wanted to save money, I could have stayed with my Honda Accords (my first three cars were all Accords).

Now, if only I could find a Crocker......

Steve

22. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    No doubt you've also noticed how a Strat in its hard carry case fits "just so" in a Daytona trunk? I like to think there is rock&roll soul designed into the car!

No room for a Marshall amp though...

23. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008
    Typical endless airhead responses........ why do I even bother.

I'm outta here.

AMF !!

24. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    It seems ok to me that everybody can appreciate a Ferrari in their own way.

Tom W

25. mrc.engr@verizon.net

Jun 15, 2008
    Sure....... if we lower the standards for everything, then everyone can jump in and participate....... right ?? Wrong !!!

How would you feel if you'd trained all your life to qualify for the Olympics in the mile when the cut-off time was 4 mins flat. So you trained and trained for years to get into the 3 min 50's.........only to find out 2 weeks before the Olympics that they raised the cut-off to 4 mins 15 seconds.....to allow more participants to qualify ??

Sure....... bring out a brand new Ferrari sub-compact with 3 cylinder diesel that gets 80 mpg so damn near everyone can buy one and say they own a "Ferrari".

And while we're at it........ let's drop all the high school and college graduation qualifications by 50% so more can graduate..........and let's drop all the medical residency qualifications by 80% so we have more doctors......... and drop all the qualifications for President of the USA......opps...... we already did this one and look what we got.

Like Enzo said....... "The qualification for owning a Ferrari should not be a checkbook". Well, the Maestro is gone.......and the bean counters have taken over at Ferrari and look what we have...... posers and wannabee Ferrari owners abound.