Please Support the JDRF | FerrariChat

Please Support the JDRF

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by EnzymaticRacer, Apr 10, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Hey Everyone, I know attention-spans on forums tend to be short, so I’ll try to keep this post quick as well.

Anyways, I will be participating in the JDRF walk in DC on May 4th this year and I would like to ask you all for a contribution to the JDRF. Incase you don’t know, JDRF stands for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, and it is a non-profit organization that helps fund research into treatment and cures for diabetes. Roughly 85% of the donations they receive go directly to funding research into diabetes.

Type I diabetes is a very serious autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks its own insulin producing cells. Without the insulin producing cells, a person’s body is unable to effectively regulate the amount of sugar in their blood. The effects of this situation are serious. A high blood sugar level can result in diabetic coma and death.

Because of these complications, children that are diagnosed with type I diabetes must live very different lives from other children their age. They must constantly be vigilant about what food they eat, must check their blood sugar several times a day, and may be required to receive shots of insulin multiple times per day as well. Even still, with this treatment, the chance of developing other devastating complications later in life is quite high.

As a disclaimer, I work for Macrogenics, Inc, a company that is investigating a new therapy called teplizumab that will help these patients better manage their disease. Teplizumab is currently undergoing a pivotal stage III clinical trial called the Protégé trial. This trial is partially supported by the JDRF. This trial will help us to evaluate if Teplizumab can protect and preserve the insulin producing cells of the body. If it proves effective, Teplizumab could significantly reduce an individuals dependence on insulin injections.

If you would like to make a contribution to the JDRF to support me, please visit this page:
    http://walk.jdrf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=extranet.personalpage&confirmid=87006519

If you would still like to make a contribution, but would prefer to support another person or go directly to the JDRF, you can visit this page to search for someone or to make a donation:
    http://walk.jdrf.org/
    or for direct contributions:
    https://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_...&sitereferer=1

Taken from their website:
    JDRF is an accredited 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency; all donations (including membership donations) are tax deductible. A receipt will be provided via e-mail. Additionally, donations of $250 or more will receive a letter of acknowledgment.

If you have read through all of this, thank you very much for your time. If you would like more information you are welcome to PM me, or you can visit www.jdrf.org or www.macrogenics.com.

(This post made multiple times with permission from Rob Lay).

Thank you to everyone for reading and/or making a donation.

Robert Whitener

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

$100 just sent.

Several of my family members have Type I diabetes. My extended family gives large for research as well.

Walk hard!

3. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Will do Daniel and Cameron! Thanks for the support.

Robert

4. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    just a quick bump.

Any donations to the JDRF are greatly appreciated.

5. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    You should be recovered by mid-June, so I hope to see you down in Lynchburg! (Shameless plug... and no walkin' required there...;) )

6. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    hehe... That definitely sounds like fun. I'll be taking a look at my calendar here soon and then try hard to figure something out.

By the way, Thanks so much for the donation!

7. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    bump... just a little over one week away.

Thank you in advance for any other donations!

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I dont generally do this and put my name on it, but... Had to put you (100%) over the top of your goal!!!!!

$$$ sent.

And thanks again bro!

(What is your team goal % raised?)

9. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks a bunch! As of last night, my team has raised roughly 110% of our goal. That's not gonna stop us from trying to raise more though. We still have a little more time until the walk.

Thanks Again!

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Thank you for the support you sent me during my time at the war.

11. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Actually, it looks like our team goal has increased since the last time I looked. Our goal is now $10,000, and we have raised about 43% of our goal. I guess I've got some more work to do!

12. EnzymaticRacer

Feb 27, 2005
    Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that the Walk turned out to be a great success! The weather on Sunday morning turned out to be fantastic. Just under 70 Degrees, Sunny, and blue skies. I would guess that there were well over a thousand people there for the walk. With everyone's help, I raised $560, and our team raised over $4100.

Don't worry everybody... I have PROOF that I did it!! hehe... just have to go get the pictures developed. When I can get that done, I'll be posting them up.

Thanks for all the support!
    Robert

13. JBaz

JBaz Rookie

Feb 5, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff Basladynski
    That sounds great! I'm one of the event organizers for the "Couture for a Cure" Fashion show to support JDRF. We had the show back in March at NCSU and had a great turn out as well.