Cal Spyder Replicas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cal Spyder Replicas

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Texas Forever, Apr 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi, very nice car. When mine is delivered I will be painting it yellow. Paintworld in Connecticut has the formula for the "real" Ferrari fly yellow and it is stunning. What engine do you have? I am in Massachusetts where we have to use an engine that will pass new car emissions.It took me a long time to find one. Pro formance in Michigan has found a way to adapt an older 302 Mustang to F I and using a different cam and cats,hopefully, will pass. I think I am the first to try this so keep your fingers crossed.It seems Mass. is as difficult as California. Where are you located? Maybe we can meet up some day. tongascrew

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    The engine compartment is the Cal Spyder has real limitations. I had a beautiful 4 cam cobra mustang 5 speed package but it wo0n't fit. Pro formance in Michigan makes some nice Ford 302 block engines that fit and will build one to your specs. They have come up with a F I 302 with a special cam and cats which they say will pass new car emissions. I think I am the first to try this. It will be a while befor I get the car and do all the finish work so I won't know how the engine works out probably till next year. tongascrew

3. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    #28 pflowers, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My CalSpyder has a new Ford 302 high performance crate engine with a 650 cfm 4 barrel and a Tremac 5-speed transmission. Probably has between 300 - 350 hp. The chassis was designed for the Ford small block but can be adapted to a Chevy small block. I am located in Alabama and emissions are not checked. Getting the car titled was a little bit of a hassle but finally got it done. Attached are pictures of the engine compartment and the interior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    As mentioned in another thread, I have an original "Modena" sales folder, in color, with business card of the Manufacturer stapled to it, from the car show when it was introduced. One of you dudes should make me an offer---PM me. Ed

5. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I really apologize because I know this will insult someone, but seeing these replicas here is a bit horrifying. To each his own of course, it's just that there is so much beauty with this period of Ferrari cars that to me is lacking with almost every detail of these replicas. Sorry, I know it's a free country. Best, Yale

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    At least a replica owner/builder is turning some wrenches and driving something instead of just staring at a coffee table book with pretty pictures of million dollar cars that 99.9 per cent of Ferrari buffs will never be able to own. It's fantasy versus reality.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks to me as if there is one on the front.

Great car!

+1

I still would prefer to see a real Ferrari engine in these cars. They'd deserve it.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Errr, I just wish people would DRIVE a/the 250 GT 2+2 and appreciate that having a 100% real Ferrari is pretty damn good.

Apparently (not from first hand experience, but Tom Yang's site) a 250 GT 2+2 drives as good as a Lusso ...
    Pete

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No offense taken. However, at 55, I have regrettably realized that I will NEVER spend millions of dollars on a car. No how. No way. Ain't gonna happen.

Granted, I'm not crying in my beer. After all, I'm Irish. If you're buying the next round, life is good.

That said, to me, the Cal Spyder is the best looking car ever made. Period. End of statement. Even if you gave the free choice between a ratty Cal Spyder and the best 250 GTO in world, I would still take the Cal car. You might differ. This is what makes the world such a cool place.

So, for us poor boys, a replica is the best I can ever hope for. I have always gone for loving the one you're with, instead the one far way.

Dale

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pete, I own half of a GTC that is going on the block in less than a month. As much as I have enjoyed the car, life moves on. I just bought a $25,000, in cheap ass US dollars, Miata. Life is good. It is very, very good.

Dale

PS If you remember many years ago, I posted about a 1970 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle that I wasn't riding. I had the bike for 18 years. I just sold it back to the guy I brought it from. Life is for the learning.

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Amen Dale, could not agree more. It is not worth sacrificing a real Ferrari to create a replica where you can buy something else, that gives you just as much if not more driving enjoyment.

A TR6 Triumph for a start is a blast to drive, as would your Miata (never have driven one I admit, but would like to). My father owns a MGB GT and it is a laugh to drive too.

In the end driving is what it is about and removing the roof of a 250 GT 2+2 does NOT make it drive any better!
    Pete

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    you know what I have to do in Massachusetts to get a title and VIN? I have to put the car on a flat bed and bring it to a State Police inspection station with receits for just about every part to prove they were not stolen. The police then issue the only VIN accepted by the registry to get a title. No further comments. tongascrew

13. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Love it!!

Any real issues as far as drivability? I know on the FB ones the pedals were real close. No tennies to drive one.

+++1000

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #39 tifosi12, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here some shots Daytona_Rick took. He told me, "that these are taken at the shop in Scottsdale AZ. A nice English couple bought the business. Turn keys are approx. $70k." Hopefully Rick chimes in here with more details. BTW: The first three pics are from the Barrett Jackson auction.

PS: A similar operation is currently starting up in FL manufacturing Daytona Spyders. Fantastic chassis and very accurate replicas. I'm pleased to see that FNA is apparently taking a more relaxed stand on these replicas. They used to just shut down these kind of shops.

15. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I do admire a good replica. I have been looking to pick up a used Norwood P4 for years.
    No malice intended, but I honestly must say I do not admire these...

16. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Andreas for posting some of my pictures. Yes the first couple were from the Russo Steele auction in Scottsdale, this past Spring. That car sold I believe around $75k. I talked to the owner who claims it as the original from our famous little movie. However if so, he had no proof. He claimed he bought it still damaged, but I can't believe he didn't have any proof or even any pictures before he supposedly fixed it up. Yea right. However, it was a real well bulit example and I would have loved to have bid on it.

We did go to the shop and talked with the owner of the Cal Spyder for about two hours. I was very impressed with the operation and quality of the product. If I had the money, I would be purchasing a rolling chassic and finishing it myself. But time, space, and money won't allow me that pleasure right now. Hey Andreas want to go in as partners on one? I built and still drive my Daytona Spyder that I built 20 years ago. So I do have some experience building a replicar. Like one of the other comments, I know that I will never be able to afford a real Daytona Spyder or Calif Spyder, my two favorite cars, so I am just as happy to build a replicar as close as my experience and budget will allow me. Or as I was blessed, drive cars up for the RM auctions at Monterey for the past couple of years. That gave me the chance of driving some of the real beauties going up for auction including a real Daytona Spyder.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, if I thought that the dimensions would work, I would give serious considerations to rebodying my 550 Maranello. Unfortunately, the I believe that a Maranello is too wide. Plus, the result would be too heavy.

Dale

18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One of my concerns about a replica is weight. One of the things that makes vintage sports cars so cool is their light weight. This is why I was thinking about a turbo Miata engine instead of a V8 block. I ain't interested in 0 to 60 times.

Dale

19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    A lightweight engine is important, but you also want a lot of torque for driveability. With a turbo engine you will likely be waiting for the turbo to spool up and that is no fun...

Power to weight is the key and now that most small block V8's can be had in an all aluminum version, that's probably the way to go. A Chevy 350 LS6 has power, low weight and has the potential to really make a replica fun, as well as keeping it from being ponderous. Remember that most Cobras had iron block engines that were probably about 80 pounds heavier than an all aluminum small block.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As an old motorcycle guy, I learned this lesson a long time ago. You might be surprised what they can do with the new Miata engines. 300 hp without turbo lag is definitely doable.

But it sure is hard to beat a V8 for torque, huh?

Dale

PS Another idea would be to look for a 308 engine.

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Check it out and you will find that the Cal Spyder with its very nice small diameter space frame and fgiberglass body comes in at a dry weight several hundred pounds less than the original 250 Caqlifornia and with a conservative 300hp engine has a much better power to weight ratio. Just one man's opinion. tongascrew

22. Timberbill

Timberbill Rookie

Apr 22, 2008
    Does anyone know details of the 250 California spyders built in El Cajon Ca. late 70's or early 80's. Cars were built on Corvette chassis. Starred in Ferris Buellers Day Off. I would like to know how many exist and company name (now defunct).

23. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The co. in El Cajon was Modena Design and Development; the car was called the Modena Spyder California. It featured a multi-tube jig-assembled frame and a 5 liter Ford OHV V-8 engine. I still have the sales folder if anyone wants it. The car that was built on old Corvette frames was the Daytona look-alike, a different animal completely.