360 spider SLOWDOWN - what does this mean? | FerrariChat

360 spider SLOWDOWN - what does this mean?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mikestradale, Apr 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tried searching but couldn't find any similar threads. I have a 360 spider and every now and then, there appears SLOWDOWN in the display. It doesn't always happen when I drive it hard. Actually, it happened like 3-4 times now (that I saw) and I was only driving around 100-130 miles/hr at that moment. It flashes SLOWDOWN for like a second and then it dissappears again. What does it mean? I mean, I can't imagine my car honestly expects me to slow down lol

Or is it only a warning if you go over a certain speed?

2. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    There are quite a few threads on this. The most likely cause are that the catalytic converters are getting too hot (faulty?) or maybe there is an clutch problem.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Download your owners manual...

It's an indication the O2 sensor has picked up an abnormal condition in your catalytic exhaust..it's not speed dependent it means they are OVERHEATING..

Check you r fuel mixture diagnostics.....it does mean to quit pumping gas pedal...:)

The sensors themselves can go faulty with age, maybe that's all it is, but wise to stop and check things out....

4. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Could be a bad CAT ECU.

5. rennen

rennen Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    New York
    Been having the same with my Stradale, but I don't have cats. Any idea as to whats causing it?

6. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks guys!

So it's probably an OVERHEATING issue but the slowdown light only comes on for 1 second max. Shouldn't it stay on untill the CATS are not overheated anymore?

7. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since it has something to do with the exhaust system, I should probably mention that I have a TUBI exhaust on my 360.

8. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I had a very similar issue when I purchased my car. The seller was great and sent it to the local dealer prior to me taking delivery. They told me that cars that sit for a while sometime have an issue with the gas breaking down. They added a chemical to the gas and reset the computer. I have NEVER had an issue since I purchased the car (April 06). I drive the car atleast once every other week for 100 miles or so.

I also have a tubi ngt with hyper flow cats.

I also ONLY use shell gas.

9. Thomas L Carey

Thomas L Carey Karting

Apr 12, 2008
    IL
    Full Name:
    Thomas Carey
    Based on this I am thinking you may try running out most of the gas in your tank. Filling up with Shell or a similar high grade fuel and disconnecting your battery for a few minutes then reconnecting it which I think will cause the cpu to reset. This would be one of the easiest things for you to try. Start with the easy things first I always say.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey