Leatherique Assistance. Will it work successfully? | FerrariChat

Leatherique Assistance. Will it work successfully?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by JF308, Apr 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    #1 JF308, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    89 Mondial t cab....

Some slight creasing in the usual areas, and some lightening of the seat leather from sun, and the seats kinda shiny looking. I am very nervous about using Leatherique on the only set of seats that I have...potentially doing some "damage" which would require a more costly solution. I'd like to talk to someone locally who can assess my leather condition and confirm that the Leatherique approach would provide solid results -- or I am just going to clean and leave alone. They are not really too bad, but would like to get them closer to perfect and hide the creases.

Anyone from Denver/Boulder actually done this with seats in about the same condition?

Second Photo is the real color of the leather. Others taken without flash in the garage.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    #2 LRPMAN, Apr 11, 2008
    OK Got my Leatherique hat on!
    The best approach is to START with Rejuvinator Oil and Prestine Clean. This will soften the leather and allow it to relax back to where it belongs. May take two or three applications:
    WARNING:
    1. You put the Rejuvinator Oil on FIRST then do NOTHING for about 12 hours or longer.
    2. You take the Prestine Clean and a SOFT CLOTH, "T" shirt or Microfiber (waste of money, use the T" shirt) and using a spray bottle MIST the Prestine clean on THEN wipe.
    3. In about 2 days PINCH the leather if it does not SNAP BACK like your skin then do another application.
    SOME creases are NORMAL, the cows joint area. ALSO the variation of color is due to the factory finish on the leather NOT being perfect. Sorry but Ferrari suffers from the same problem as Rolls Royce. They used what they had to finish the job. Lower quality was found on the BACK of some seats and a color variation was common in cars from panel to panel.

My TR was done 3 times a year. Results below:

3. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    #3 LRPMAN, Apr 11, 2008
  4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You wouldn't happen to have three photos of the same angle would you? That might help to show the improvement your suggested method allows.

5. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    #5 LRPMAN, Apr 11, 2008
  6. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    In your first photo it appears you did not renew the leather on the headrest, is that correct?

7. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko

Correct, that was the last area I did. I did a bunch of other projects but these are the only pictures I took. The leather was good when I got the car in 2002. It had been dyed but with Connelly which is lacquer. Our product is water based and will not take on the cracking found in lacquer unless put on to heavy.

8. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    Looks like a job well done! John...looks like you've got some work to do ;)

9. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    #9 LRPMAN, Apr 12, 2008
  10. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I would appreciate some enlightenment as to why sanding is appropriate and/or beneficial.

11. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    The sanding removes the layers of dye material and this is what is showing the cracks. For a professional looking job, sand the cracks out and when the new dye goes on, it will be smooth and uniform.

12. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    PERFECT!
    The NEW trick is to use Rejuvinator Oil as a LUBE when doing that.
    1. It keeps you from burring the leather (heat from the sanding process)
    2. It makes the leather softer faster PLUS removes the age creases.

13. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Thanks for the reply - it makes more sense to me if you are talking about redyeing and refinishing the leather. I always think of Leatherique as a feeding/rejuvenation oil. How is the factory-new smooth finish produced originally? By sanding? I assumed it was by the natural top layers of the leather along with being pressed.

Which raises the follow-on question... if you sanded with Leatherique then the oil is now completely soaked into the pores making it as juicy as possible. How does the leather then effectively take up the dye application?

14. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    There is no REAL OIL so it works just fine. The heat of the sanding drives the Rejuvinator in to the BOTTOM of the hide, the side you can not see. The original application was was produced by BUFFING the hides this was the pride of Connelly to produce a SMOOTH finish. The SAME leather when sold for a Jaguar is NOT BUFFED. Buffing would be a SANDING term to us (with 2000 grit paper).

15. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Hi George :)
    In case you guys didn't notice, George IS Leatherique. You're getting the most accurate advice you can get.

16. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Hi Nick
    Gee I thought is was hiding LOL! Funny I sell the car and NOW I get questions about the leather!! Oh well.