Vintage Porsche Racer | FerrariChat

Vintage Porsche Racer

Discussion in 'Florida' started by SupercarGuru, Apr 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    I have been dreaming a lot lately about a nice vintage porsche race car. Something like an RS-clone or 550 Beck Spyder. Maybe even a 1967-1972 911 semi-track car. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

I am actually pretty mechanically inclined and thought this would be fun work here and there, unlike the SL55 I have now where everything is computer operated. There is nothing in the world like playing with your toys and getting your hands greasy.

2. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I get my hands dirty every day and then I go to work....lol

but really project cars are great.... been looking for on for a few years now...

good luck!!

BTW when is that SLR thing?
    PM me

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

John, have you checked with your manicurist? She would have a cow with this story. And what about my offer of Coral Gables? A vintage race through Miracle Mile would be great.

There is a place in Delray that sells James Dean Porsche clones, forgot the name, Robert M. would remember.

4. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    there is a place right next to JCM that has alot of old porsche.... I will be there at 2 tomorrow if you want I will ask...

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    www.wirewheel.com occasionally has a Beck 550 for sale. They also have many other oddities and are good people. I bought the Ginetta there. Just last night I was epoxying some machine bolts to replace the sheet metal screws the factory used to hold two fiberglass panels in place. I don't want the small piece to come flying off again like it did on the way to Naples last month.
    I have to say I did not know you were a grease monkey. I pretend to fix things once in a while, but I am more adept at home repair and things with a little more working area.
    :D
    BT

6. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    #6 msgsobe, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    John, I've been racing a 2 liter 72 911 in HSR, and it's a blast! great group of guys, very competitive, reliable, and relativley inexpensive compared to the SCCa formula racing I had been doing. One of the guys I race with is selling his 911, he has a 356 as well and doesnt have time for both. car is prepped and ready to go, heres the ad:

1969 Porsche 911 2.0 L - Fully sorted racecar. Aluminum engine case, Twin plug, PMOs, extreme heads, Carillo rods. 901 gear box with limited slip. Tower shifter. Fiberglass body panels. Race suspension, Fuchs. Race ready. Maintained by Ecurie Racing. $58,400. Call Tim Baker at 770-713-3660 (GA) 04/08
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Oh wow! I love the 72. Do you have any pics? I found a 1974, with a 3.3 built motor with 964 cams...etc etc ready for the track, but is still street legal! I am definitely not ready for HSR yet, so i think a semi-track/semi-street car would be a better car to start with.

If the 69 car is street legal i will look into it.

Thanks!

8. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    How do you like the Ginetta?? Cool little car!

9. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Call you tomorrow.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My favorite, although the Ferrari is obviously a better 'car'. I'm heading out to Detroit tomorrow to look at another car I have on order. The Ginetta is fun because it is easy to tinker with and a really, really raw car. You get modern reliability, but a vintage sports car feel since it as originally designed in 1967.
    The Beck 550 is similar in approach, I'd really like to have one of those.
    They are much more 'finished' than the Ginetta, but they seem to come from similar auto DNA.
    I hope to go up to the mountains again in May with my brother. If you get a Beck you should join us, it is really the best way to use that kind of car.
    :)
    BT

11. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    What are you getting into now? Luckily your garage (which I have yet to see in person) can hold it. I think I need you to come to SC and design a garage for me...

12. msgsobe

msgsobe Formula 3

Aug 10, 2006
    Miami Beach/Aspen
    Full Name:
    Mark Gold
    that car is pure racecar. step up to the plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I can't believe this thread has remained unmolested by Paul!
    :)

14. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    I'm thinking
    John's a little sensative so I have to tread lightly......

15. Peter2

Peter2 Karting

Feb 9, 2007
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Peter
    John pretty much grew up in his dads garage.

16. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    hahahaha LOL

17. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Very true. Peter remembers!

While I could never see myself doing anything like that as a profession, nothing more satisfying or soothing than messing around with an older vintage car.

18. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I like the way you think. I'll be going with a newer Porsche racer later this year. Can't wait. :)

We'll be bombing down to PB several times in it, you won't miss it when we're there!

19. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    and not just any kind of cars..... REAL CARS, no ghey honda's or mitsubishi's

John does you dad still have the shop?

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian

Yes, but mostly stores his personal cars. Does not do much in terms of service and sales anymore. He will do something if he finds it interesting or challenging.

I learned so much hanging out there, F50 clutch jobs, F40 LM Turbo installation, and syncing 12 Lamborghini Miura carburetor's.

21. NVPhotoman007

NVPhotoman007 Formula 3

Aug 9, 2004
    ASU_Acob Notar Lf.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would love to see all those cars a part, the only turbo's I have put on have been on supras, tiburons, M3's and SRT's

oh yea, a civic.... but I didnt want to... lol

I saw a F50 in 2 when I went to Shelton one day, the rear was being worked on one side of the shop and the front was sitting on the other and I just wanted to hop in there and help.... I didnt but I really wanted to.lol

22. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    More race car than street car, although it will have regular plates...
    Not gonna be here in time for the party on the 3rd, but should be here 1-2 weeks after that.
    It has a ghey Honda engine.
    :D
    BT

23. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  24. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    There is a company here which is a branch office of the main company out of the Malibu area, LA. They offer a 356 and 550 copy. Nice work on their replicas. Not cheap though and honestly the only company that has maintained some sort of value on the relicas is Beck. So if you get a 550 make sure it is a BECK. The 356 Speedster you can find all kinds. Many more copied them. Much easier to put on a VW frame and go from there. The 550 is longer and really should be built on its own chassis, like Beck does.
    The Beck Spider has a website (sorry don't have it handy) where guys that own them discuss them as well. It is a whole community. You see cars for sale there as well.

On ebay you find occassionally what looks like a deal but usually is a butchered kit. I have seen some that are so off on the dimensions that they look funky by simply looking at it.

Main differences on the 550s is the power plant. Which engine did they use. Takes some research. Be ready to spend ovr $20K for a good relica. If you want I can find you the website of the guys in Delray. I bought a Ferrari from the guys in Malibu a few months ago but cannot remember their website address. They are huge into Porsche.

FWIW: I can offer you a modern race Porsche 996 GrandAm car and a GT3. Both local.

25. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #25 Arvin Grajau, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017