BARCELONA TESTING April 14, 2008 - MASSA FLIES | FerrariChat

BARCELONA TESTING April 14, 2008 - MASSA FLIES

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Apr 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (FROM AUTOSPORT)

(I meant to say Barthelona, sorry to my Spanish friends)

Felipe Massa set a blistering pace in Formula One's return to testing action, the Brazilian using slick tyres to finish over two and a half seconds in front of his closest rival at Barcelona.

Massa's best time of 1:18.339 put him 2.7 seconds ahead of Honda test driver Alex Wurz, who also set his best time on slick tyres.

The majority of the teams present at Barcelona were introducing new updates that will be raced for the first time when the European season kicks off in Spain later this month.

Massa's Ferrari team finally showed off a much rumoured radical new nose cone, with a hole on top of it, while McLaren tried a new rear wing - designed for 2009 regulations - and Renault tested several upgrades, including a new front wing.

McLaren's Pedro de la Rosa, who also tried out slicks, was third fastest, but over three seconds off Massa's pace. The Spaniard was the busiest man today with 113 laps covered.

Each team were allocated nine sets of slick tyres for the test, as Bridgestone continues work on preparing for the 2009 season, when grooved tyres will no longer be used.

All drivers, except BMW's Nick Heidfeld and Toyota's Timo Glock, sampled the new tyres today.

All the running done with slicks is outside the agreed testing mileage.

Despite not using the slick tyres, Heidfeld was fourth fastest, just a tenth behind de la Rosa, with Nelsinho Piquet down in fifth in the revamped Renault R28.

There were a total of four red flags today, caused by Glock, Piquet and Heidfeld spinning, and Williams's Kazuki Nakajima going off track late in the session.

"Today was a productive day and the team and mechanics did a good job," said Toyota's Glock. "Everybody was focused on the new bits and pieces that we have brought and trying to find the right way forward.

"In the end that's what we did. I made one small mistake in the morning and spun off but it didn't cost us too much running time. In the afternoon we collected a lot of data to look at and now we just have to fine-tune that.

"Hopefully overnight we can find the right direction from all the information we have gathered today. The time sheets might not show it yet but I'm happy with our work so far."

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
    1. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:18.339 77
    2. Wurz Honda (B) 1:21.059 75
    3. de la Rosa McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.566 113
    4. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:21.679 105
    5. Piquet Renault (B) 1:22.125 69
    6. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.197 59
    7. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:22.431 72
    8. Glock Toyota (B) 1:22.590 92
    9. Liuzzi Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:22.846 91

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What's his problem, doesn't he know he "sucks"?

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Go figure, guess no one told him. Some people have the nerve. Next thing you know he will win the 2008 WDC and really piss everybody off. Shame on Massa.

4. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Hey Ron thanks for posting, I was looking at the photos of the new nose with the Slicks and those should have been the tires they are using this year. It just looks so right, just get all the crap off the sides of the car, cut the front wing, and rear diffuser and boy will it return to mechanical grip.

5. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Whoa he was flying low.
    Very good

6. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Only problem is there weren't any real competition from the other cars with regards to performance. The only car/driver combo that I would call a ligit benchmark for Felipe's time would be Heidfeld in the BMW, but they weren't running the slicks.

7. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    I am amused to see the same guys who did not want to discuss Massa's testing problems pre-season because "it is only testing" now want to brag about Massa's testing numbers :rolleyes:

8. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    With the words Massa and flies right next to each other, I assumed that he had taken flight and crashed into a barrier, rather than setting a fast lap.

9. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Its pronounced Bar-sah-lona, not Bar-the-lona. I believe it has to do with the differnet dialects within Spain. Don't quote me on it though.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Sorry, but that is a really stupid assumption. Massa has never destroyed a car in a race for Ferrari, whereas even Michael Scumacher wrote off at least one I can remember, maybe more. There is nothing logical nor verifyable about Massa criticism. Absolutely nothing.

11. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Wrong again, so I know better than to quote you. My friends from Barcelona, as do many Spaniards, us the Castillian dialect that pronounces "c's" like "th's". I lived there for a while, and it took me a few days before I realized that the majority of Spaniards do not have a lisp"th". In fact, my Colombian dermetologist is getting married to a Spanish deremetologist from BarTHElona, and he told me just last week that is the way he must now learn to pronounce the name of the city.

It is really Barthelona for most of them.

Your language lesson 101 for today.

12. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    2006 Australian GP, Massa puts it into the wall.
    2006 Chinese GP
    2006 Monaco GP (quali), Massa puts it in the wall.

It has happened before.

13. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I also know quite a few Spaniards and they have always pronounced it Bar-sah-lona. Not to mention the soccer/football fans pronounce it Barcelona.

14. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Just like in the USA, there are those that failed grammer.

Seriously, it is a Castillian thing. You cannot offend anyone by using the "th" pronounciation. I have never met a Spaniard that did not appreciate my knowledge of Castillian. But I was corrected years ago when I did not use it.

Like I said, I lived in Madrid. Did you?

15. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Woah...Massa quicker than Wurz??!! Way to go Massa!

2008 WDC is in the bag!

:D

16. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Speaking of failed grammar.

17. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    You have also said before you don't speak a word of Spanish. Plus, Barcelona is in Catalonia where the C is pronounced as an S not a Th.

I do agree you could say it either way and get by. Back to Massa testing, are slicks really 3 seconds faster than the rest of the field?

18. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Actually, now I do speak Spanish as my girlfriend does not speak a word of English. According to residents of that city, one I just called, they predominetly use the "th" version.

Forget it, OK?

19. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Sounds like a plan. Are slicks really this much faster than grooved tires?

20. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Yes, more contact patch on the track means more traction means you can put more power to the wheels which makes the car go faster.

21. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
  22. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    You are right Ron, in Barcelona, as all the north of Spain, a C will have a similar sound to the 'th', although not totally.

The S sound for the c is in the mid south part of Spain and the islands.

- Julio.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That´s true if you´re speaking in Catalan, wich is a different language than Spanish. But in Spanish it´s more often pronounced with a th.

But who cares? Back to racing.

24. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Going fast in testing was never a problem for Massa. When he's two and a half seconds faster than the field on race day then i'll stop bashing him, till then, great testing times, but rather meaningless. Kimi wasn't even at the test, that I could tell.