Girl Needs Help With Car Model ID!!!!! | FerrariChat

Girl Needs Help With Car Model ID!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by brwneydgrl, Apr 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    So my boyfriend was saying the other day that a 1964 GTO was his favorite car so I've been looking online for memorabilia as a birthday present for him...but I haven't had too much luck. I found this poster that looks really nice BUT I'm not sure if it's the right model and of course I can't ask HIM because I want it to be a surprise....so any model ID help would be soooooo helpful!!!!!! oooooor, if you know of any sites that specifically have merchandise for this particular car, that would be great as well. If you can help, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the poster I was looking at, but it says 1962-3 so I'm not sure if it's the right model.....

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?startat=/getposter.asp&APNum=2632192&CID=1C952E3593BB49838BD75D396CD9F30D&PPID=1&search=11856&f=c&FindID=11856&P=2&PP=2&sortby=PD&cname=Ferrari&SearchID=

2. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You might check at http://www.collectorstudio.com/, a sponsor here. ebay can also be a good resource. The poster looks very nice and is reasonably priced. Lucky guy.

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #3 Saint Bastage, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Are you absolutely sure he means "Ferrari GTO"? The first year of the "Pontiac GTO" was 1964 as an option package for a Lemans. This Photo is a 65, but real close.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    I checked ebay, but at the moment all they have are the little models and I don't to get him that because it will just sit on his dresser and collect dust....I was hoping they might have posters or cool vintage stuff but I couldn't find anything. I'm pretty sure he it's a Ferrari GTO.....it was made in 1964 and they only made a few of them....lol that's pretty much all I remember from the car conversation we had. So I'm thinking it's the car from the poster, I'm just not sure about the year and if that's the correct model style.....

5. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    According to Wikipedia, it was made until '64: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_250_GTO

If he is talking about a Ferrari GTO from the 60s, the 250 GTO is definitely it. That's a really cool poster you found - I'd be happy to have that in my room!

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #6 Napolis, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If it's the first one get him Ronnie and The Daytona's "Little GTO" (Record/CD/I TUNES) dress up like the babe in the first photo and take him out for Burger's, Fries, and a milkshake.

If it's a 1964 Series II Ferrari GTO like this one:

http://www.*************/Pics?v=y&s=c&id=519&p=1964_Ferrari_250GTO2.jpgget

get him a DVD of Steve Mc Queens "Le Mans", the book " A French Kiss with Death", and take him to Paris.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Awesome, thanks for the help!!!!! :)

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I admire your resourcefulness at finding this group to post in for your BF.
    My wife tolerates my Ferrari, but hardly would come here to seek cool stuff
    to hang in the garage next to my '86 328 GTS

He's a lucky guy.

Jedi

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  10. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    So the poster is the wrong car??...

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yup. That's a Series I (62-63). Your BF is very discerning in that the 64 Series II's are much rarer. Dinner in Paris may not be good enough for him. You may have to take him to Mougins.

12. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Ok... if you really want to get him something cool.....Get him a wallet made from the leather of an orginal 62 GTO or cuffliks made from the aluminium panels of a GTO $1800. The cufflinks can be purchased through Dunhill. not sure about the wallet or the cost, but pretty cool. Pretty $$$$ stuff.

Another really cool gift idea that may cost you a couple hundred bucks is to go the klemantaski collection at www.klemcoll.com and find a nice black and white photo of a GTO in action. The bigger the photo the more it's going to cost you, but old blk/wht photos framed are really cool. Have it framed by a pro or if your good at that kinda stuff do it yourself. I guarantee he will love it. Much cooler then a poster. but a lot more money.

But hey, a poster would be cool as well if your low on cash.

All kinds of stuff on ebay.

Good luck!!!

13. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    lol I want this to be a thoughtful gift, but I'm in college and pretty broke....so the expensive stuff isn't really gonna work...which is why I was going the poster route.....is that a bad gift idea?!?!

14. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Have we decided whether the GTO is the Ferrari or the Pontiac?

15. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    It has to be a Ferrari cuz that's what he said it was. We weren't talking about Pontiacs...

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Here's a good GTO book that would make a great gift for him:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1901432157/webcars

If that's too much $ rent a copy of "Le Mans" and watch it with him. That's what it was like racing those cars into the night riding with Death sitting next to you.

17. w.Hudkins

w.Hudkins Karting

May 16, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    William Todd Hudkins
    Heck No!!! Get him the poster he will love it and the fact you went out of you way to get him something cool.

Not sure what you want to spend. Check out the link and see if there thats not to expensive. I just think old blk/wht are cool framed, but these are $$$$.

Good luck!!

18. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Smart man. Car posters are always a great gift, every time he looks at it it'll remind him of you.

19. 328gtsfan

328gtsfan Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2004
    Aus
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This page shows the different cars very well...

http://www.web-cars.com/gto/up_close_f-gto.php

The profile you are looking for are represented by the following cars:

5571 GT
    5575 GT

You can see the rear profile is a little different.

I think it's going to be hard to get a poster/print of a '64 car.

20. brwneydgrl

brwneydgrl Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    I checked out the website with the black and white prints and they're really cool except the search options only allow you to put in cars from 1960-69 and that doesn't help me because i can't tell the difference! Gah! There's nowhere for me to put in 1964....

21. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
  22. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
  23. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    I'm guessing that unless he is a know Ferrari fan he meant a Pontiac GTO. Did you hear him say "Ferrari"? The reason I say this is that most car people, when they hear "GTO", think Pontiac and not Ferrari. I'm guessing this is true even for Ferrari fans, as they are usually interested in other cars as well. If someone brings up a Ferrari GTO in conversation it will usually be referred to as "Ferrari GTO". The exception would be if it was a bunch of Ferrari guys talking about Ferraris, and I'm guessing this wasn't the case. If he is not partial to Ferraris (believe me you would know it if he was) and didn't mention the word Ferrari, then I think he was referring to a Pontiac GTO...

http://item.express.ebay.com/1964-GTO-A-Vintage-Ponitac-GTO-Car-Poster_W0QQitemZ7404737003QQihZ016QQfromsoiZ1QQcmdZExpressItem

24. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    It's sold by Spirit Level FIlms for a few bucks. It's the best driving video ever, and any car nut can watch it a million times. It wasn't a GTO, but it was a 12 cyl. Ferrari. It's also a romantic film!! Together with a GTO print, he'll be there.

Check it out in miniature at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3RUtJhhxPg

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If my gf bought me the Le Mans dvd and watched it with me , id be over the moon . Not because i dont have the Dvd or havent watched it yet but because of the thoughts she put into buying something that isnt that known and wanting to watch it with me..

Nice tip James !