Ad Campaigns that are way overdue for retirement. | FerrariChat

Ad Campaigns that are way overdue for retirement.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Wade, Apr 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #1 Wade, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The GEICO gecko. Granted, it was fun in the beginning. You know, old red sports car and Kelsey Grammer voice-over but now it's pretty tiring.

Others;

Campbell Soups' "Possibilities" and Office Depot's "Taking Care of Business".

None of these are in the top 100 but they're STILL out there.
    http://adage.com/century/campaigns.html

Got any others?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Direct Buy (a ripoff!)
    NutriSystem (yeah sure!)
    BurgerKing (what's with the plastic faced creepy guy anyway?)
    Total Gym

3. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson

Direct Buy ugh what a mistake i made calling them to ask some questions they literally called me at leat 10 times asking when i was coming in until they called on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON and told them to fu*% off that they finally got the hint.

Those cavemen are kinda old now too, and i can't believe someone gave them their own tv show...

4. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
  5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

The Jaguar ad with the Deep Purple track - ok enough already.

RMX

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    My least favorite right now? The Sprint Everything Plan commercials which have the new CEO doing the ad. It seems like such an ego trip thing for him alone that it puts me off to Sprint. Hire an actor to do it, nobody wants to see you. Your precense doesn't add any credibility to the offer. Sorry.

Other ones that really annoy me are the ones for companies like BASF or EDM that sell nothing to the public. I suppose it is just to build awareness of the brand so when a business might need their services they are who they think of. However, both are such big players in their respective industries, I can't imagine anyone not knowing who they are.

First thought after I read the title of the thread was the cavemen ads. I have never thought they were clever at all.

The travelling gnome for travelocity gets on my nerves, although since I remember the company name it must have worked.

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    The Mastercard 'priceless' series has been played out for about two years now. Like a labor union, it was a good idea initially, but now are not competitive.
    :(
    BT

8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Ride it like a Ford, ri' , ride it, ride' it'......
    :(
    BT

9. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    That weird little Empire Today carpet laying animation creep. And the voice-over sounds like he is on drugs.

Scott Trade egomaniac Roger Riney pretending to fly a helicopter around watching over his stock traders.
    It is worse than his "when I was a boy, I was always inventing ways to better serve my customers" fiasco before.

Anything Billy Mays has ever done or ever will do in the future. He sounds like he has been sniffing helium again.

Has anybody else thought that it is just about time to rip the D-cells out of that Energizer Bunny? My god, they had him paddling around as a scuba bunny back when Jacques Cousteau was still alive.

10. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    It's 2008... Are you folks saying you still WATCH advertisements? Yikes!

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I have to admit that I still like two of the Caveman commercials, the one at the airport (soundtrack reminds me of something you'd hear at a cafe in Paris or Amsterdam) and the other when he's visiting his shrink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iomlEcaeZgQ

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I'll have the roast duck with the Mango Salsa.

Of course, the Insurance Neanderthals are now being overshadowed by the screaming Zombie Chick - "WE HAVE A SAVINGS OF $300!!! WOW!!!"

I kind of miss the strange german woman who did the very original Overstock.com ad - but it also got way overplayed in its time.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Verizon. But it doesn't annoy me at all. Plus they do mix up the way it's done fairly often.

14. AP2TUDE

AP2TUDE Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Edwards
    I don't have a problem with a lot of the Verizon commercials, I just have a problem with the stupid "Can you hear me now?" tag line. It is just annoying now.